Why does "The Dude" from The Big Lebowski hate Eagles?

Texas King

This reddit thread posted here might be the answer.

The Big Lebowski likes CCR and doesn't like The Eagles.

John Fogerty recorded a cover of Ricky Nelson's song 'Garden Party', featuring Don Henley and Timothy B. Schmit of The Eagles on vocal harmonies.

See credits here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRlC_IAR6QI

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

What a coincidence - I was just watching this last night for the millionth time. Hadn’t seen it in over a year.

To answer the question, maybe The Eagles are too mainstream for The Dude?...And CCR’s anti-war lyrics sit well with The Dude since he did mention protesting and whatnot back in those days?

I don't know the timeline, but I seem to recall The Eagles were the first band to break the $100 per ticket barrier, and that was a long time ago. That's a decent reason to hate them, but did that happen before the movie?

I think it happened a couple of years just before the movie came out. BUT the movie events were supposed to have taken place in the early 90s (before the Eagles actually started charging that)

John Fogerty>>>>Don Henley

Henley has quite a selfish attitude towards royalties and streaming of late. Kind of explains why a lot of his videos and songs aren't on Youtube and even second tier platforms like Dailymotion and Vimeo.

Fogerty is a dick, too.
  • Like 1

John Fogerty>>>>Don Henley

Henley has quite a selfish attitude towards royalties and streaming of late. Kind of explains why a lot of his videos and songs aren't on Youtube and even second tier platforms like Dailymotion and Vimeo.

As a person. Fogerty is greater though as Goose said above my post, Fogerty is a dick too, just less of one than Don. As a musician, equal. As a lyricist, Don is better. And keep in mind, I am a HUGE fan of both.

Edited by driventotheedge

I don't know the timeline, but I seem to recall The Eagles were the first band to break the $100 per ticket barrier, and that was a long time ago. That's a decent reason to hate them, but did that happen before the movie?

They were the 2nd act to break the $100. Barbara Streisand was the first. They saw she was selling at that level and followed suit shortly thereafter.