Still Feel a Bit Sad about Neil’s Death

Huron Zephyr

It’s been months since Neil passed on. When I first heard about his death, I was truly shocked, and I generally don’t shock all that easily. I’m also not the kind of guy who mourns the death of celebrities.

I think part of my shock came from not having had even an inkling that he had been gravely ill.

I’ve never been to any Rush concerts, although I have numerous Rush albums and have been a fan since I was in my teen years.

I’ve never met Neil in person, and obviously couldn’t have known him on a personal level.

Yet I still feel a sense of loss; I think about Geddy and Alex too, and feel sorry for them. They’ve lost more than a band mate. They’ve lost a brother, even if he wasn’t biologically related. There’s just something so forlorn about their loss and their lack of a band mate, brother and friend, an empty, gaping hole.

Indeed, the kind of brotherhood that existed within Rush is exceedingly rare. What they had, and the likes of all three members of the band, both collectively and individually, are things that will likely never be seen again.

I’ve searched myself, trying to grasp and understand the source of my sense of loss. I think it comes from the fact that as a teenager, I found Neil’s lyrics so erudite, literate and meaningful and that they had made a large and lasting impression on me in a way that no lyrics ever had. I tended to look up to him, at an age when I was still impressionable and had few people in my life I could look up to.

Another part of my sense of loss comes from the fact that Rush, as a going concern, has ceased to exist, and that one of the band’s members has passed on. Put another way, Neil’s death and the end of Rush represent the loss of an important part of my adolescence and life as a young adult.

As I grew older and became a man, I began to more fully understand and appreciate him as an individual - his considerable intellect, and his skill as a drummer and a writer, and his stature as a sort of philosopher. In short, I came to see him as a man after my own heart, and felt I could relate, on a deep level, to his writings and his lyrics, even if I had never met him or personally known him. I also appreciated his dedication, work ethic and professionalism. He never succumbed to the bullshit and stupidity to which many in the business of rock and roll had succumbed.

Don’t get me wrong here. I’m not putting the man up on a pedestal. He wasn’t perfect; not every lyric he wrote was good. He had definitely written a few clinkers in his time. But on balance, the contributions he made to the fields of music and entertainment, to his native Canada, and his legacy as a whole cannot be underestimated.

Rest In Peace, Neil.

Edited by Huron Zephyr
  • Like 9

It’s been months since Neil passed on. When I first heard about his death, I was truly shocked, and I generally don’t shock all that easily. I’m also not the kind of guy who mourns the death of celebrities.

I think part of my shock came from not having had even an inkling that he had been gravely ill.

I’ve never been to any Rush concerts, although I have numerous Rush albums and have been a fan since I was in my teen years.

I’ve never met Neil in person, and obviously couldn’t have known him on a personal level.

Yet I still feel a sense of loss; I think about Geddy and Alex too, and feel sorry for them. They’ve lost more than a band mate. They’ve lost a brother, even if he wasn’t biologically related. There’s just something so forlorn about their loss and their lack of a band mate, brother and friend, an empty, gaping hole.

Indeed, the kind of brotherhood that existed within Rush is exceedingly rare. What they had, and the likes of all three members of the band, both collectively and individually, are things that will likely never be seen again.

I’ve searched myself, trying to grasp and understand the source of my sense of loss. I think it comes from the fact that as a teenager, I found Neil’s lyrics so erudite, literate and meaningful and that they had made a large and lasting impression on me in a way that no lyrics ever had. I tended to look up to him, at an age when I was still impressionable and had few people in my life I could look up to.

Another part of my sense of loss comes from the fact that Rush, as a going concern, has ceased to exist, and that one of the band’s members has passed on. Put another way, Neil’s death and the end of Rush represent the loss of an important part of my adolescence and life as a young adult.

As I grew older and became a man, I began to more fully understand and appreciate him as an individual - his considerable intellect, and his skill as a drummer and a writer, and his stature as a sort of philosopher. In short, I came to see him as a man after my own heart, and felt I could relate, on a deep level, to his writings and his lyrics, even if I had never met him or personally known him. I also appreciated his dedication, work ethic and professionalism. He never succumbed to the bullshit and stupidity to which many in the business of rock and roll had succumbed.

Don’t get me wrong here. I’m not putting the man up on a pedestal. He wasn’t perfect; not every lyric he wrote was good. He had definitely written a few clinkers in his time. But on balance, the contributions he made to the fields of music and entertainment, to his native Canada, and his legacy as a whole cannot be underestimated.

Rest In Peace, Neil.

I'm sure you have other favorite bands. Music has a way of wrapping itself around our heart and soul. It never fades or lessens, even with the passing of decades. The loss of a member of the band that had created the song is a sadness that stays with you.

It's hard for me to listen to Rush now on account of Neil. I wasn't his fan, but he could play those drums.

I mourn the loss of Ray Thomas, David Bowie, Tom Petty (his death affected me the worse), Keith Emerson, Greg Lake, and others.

• Like 1

Rest In Peace, Neil.

I'm sure you have other favorite bands. Music has a way of wrapping itself around our heart and soul. It never fades or lessens, even with the passing of decades. The loss of a member of the band that had created the song is a sadness that stays with you.

It's hard for me to listen to Rush now on account of Neil. I wasn't his fan, but he could play those drums.

I mourn the loss of Ray Thomas, David Bowie, Tom Petty (his death affected me the worse), Keith Emerson, Greg Lake, and others.

I can understand why you would find it hard to listen to Rush. Alex has supposedly stopped playing guitar, and while I can’t speak for him, I suspect that it’s because of Neil’s death and the end of the band.

You can’t play for 40-plus years in a band that has been as wildly successful as Rush has, and not be deeply affected when the band ceases functioning and one of the band members has died.

Nice post, you spent a lot of time thinking through your thoughts and feelings. I can agree with what you said. I was a late comer to Rush, having only become a big fan in 2011. To be honest I never thought I would find a band that I loved more than the Beatles. They were part of my life through elementary school and high school. I lived and breathed the band and followed every story I could find on them. John was my favorite and I read all his books and watched the crazy turns his personal life took with both consternation and stubborn pride. I was completely devastated when he was murdered. I spent the evening of his death, sitting in the front room, listening to Double Fantasy and crying. I had other bands I really liked but none that took over my life as they did.

Then I became obsessed with Rush and those feelings arose again. After watching Beyond the Lighted Stage, I read Neil's Traveling Roadshow and was hooked. I had the most fun in years by listening to all their albums and trying to understand all the ins and out of their catalog. I came here to TRF for a place to talk about my new obsession and found a great community. I was fortunate to see them in concert 3 times which included R40. I never expected them to reunite after that, it was clear they had retired. But once again, I had my heart broken when Neil died as John had. His demise was a horrible disease where John was shot but they both were taken from us too soon. It still seems surreal that Neil is gone, watching YouTube videos and seeing him play makes it hard to acknowledge he has truly left the stage both literally and figuratively. I know some can't listen to Rush because it is too painful, but I listen all the time because it still fills me with happiness and I want to keep those feelings close now that our world has become so dark. There are still times I cry as I listen, hearing the mastery of the drums Neil possessed and knowing that it has ended. But for me, I can never stop listening to Rush just as I have continued to enjoy the Beatles. Without their music, I would truly be bereft.

• Like 7

I've wondered if Neil Peart's fundamental personality was influenced by his personal fear of/ personal foreshadowing of a short life.

Some gloomy people just kind of assume they won't live long. Fatalism, etc.

I've only read "Ghost Rider" and (at the time of the book being published) the book seemed to just paint Neil as someone who loved getting the most out of life and thinking for himself. Not everyone is like that.

In the very least, we all feel such pain because we have lost a leader & an enlightened soul.

We were all so fortunate. & I'm glad Fate afforded him glorious life in the limelight of Fame, even if he didn't get the golden years part of it to himself.

• Like 4

Huron Zephyr,

I can so relate to what you are saying. I tried to express it, but you are a better writer :)

I only went to two concerts. I don't think that concert numbers is a qualifier for sentimentality. But those who went to so many, they have a whole different perspective of grief?

I too have never mourned a celebrity. Like, probably never. But ANY of those three to pass? Since a child delivering morning newspapers, wandering the streams and valleys of Willowdale, they were almost always in my ears.

As I re-read Neil's words (many books, etc.) he was labeled as private, withdrawn, etc. I don't really agree.

He put feelings and observations on the table for anybody to see. His humour, unapologetic observations, the real modern day philosopher he was - so great. He spoke of the most personal issues.

He simply was not comfortable being a celebrity. Imagine knowing a guy who writes and sends "amateur books" and writings out to a circle of friends, constantly, always thinking and doing.

I am personally thankful that he eventually published his thoughts, for us to appreciate.

He, and Alex and Geddy showed the world that hard work, making songs where "care has been taken" shows in sooooooooo many ways, and is a bar far above many musicians, and I too am grateful.

• Like 2

Huron Zephyr,

I can so relate to what you are saying. I tried to express it, but you are a better writer :)

I only went to two concerts. I don't think that concert numbers is a qualifier for sentimentality. But those who went to so many, they have a whole different perspective of grief?

I too have never mourned a celebrity. Like, probably never. But ANY of those three to pass? Since a child delivering morning newspapers, wandering the streams and valleys of Willowdale, they were almost always in my ears.

As I re-read Neil's words (many books, etc.) he was labeled as private, withdrawn, etc. I don't really agree.

He put feelings and observations on the table for anybody to see. His humour, unapologetic observations, the real modern day philosopher he was - so great. He spoke of the most personal issues.

He simply was not comfortable being a celebrity. Imagine knowing a guy who writes and sends "amateur books" and writings out to a circle of friends, constantly, always thinking and doing.

I am personally thankful that he eventually published his thoughts, for us to appreciate.

He, and Alex and Geddy showed the world that hard work, making songs where "care has been taken" shows in sooooooooo many ways, and is a bar far above many musicians, and I too am grateful.

In his seeming shyness, Neil was not an anomaly in the music business. He got into the business not for fame or fortune the way some do, but to do what he wanted to do in life and be what he wanted to be - a drummer who always strove for excellence. In that respect, he succeeded beyond expectations.

Neil probably wasn’t as reserved as people thought he was. I remember reading something somewhere that said at a certain point he refrained from meeting fans and the public to avoid having to field questions or discussions about his deceased first wife and daughter. So, to quote a line from Tom Sawyer, it was a case of “his reserve a quiet defence”.

• Like 3

It struck me tonight watching David Attenborough's excellent new film. I'm so pleased that such a great communicator is continuing to work until well into his 90s, but saddened that Neil has been denied a similar further quarter century of sharing his wisdom. :(

• Like 3

And now I hear EVH passed away.

Christ I can't take it.

My favorite drummer and guitarist are gone. Good thing Sammy has made effort to make amends to EVH ever since Bowie died. Bill Murray did the same with Harold Ramis. Pity it was too late for Johnny Ramone when Joey died. I read that he cried for a week when he found out.

RIP

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 3

I was born five months before 2112 was released.

So they were literally part of my entire life, kind of like the sun, moon, stars. Just a constant, always there, thrumming quietly just offscreen from the mainstream for all 44 years of my life...

That's why I'm still dealing with his death. It's like coming home to find out that my favorite 67-yr-old tree in the front yard had been cut down.

We had no notice whatsoever.

Those trees are all kept equal...

• Like 4

And now I hear EVH passed away.

Christ I can't take it.

My favorite drummer and guitarist are gone. Good thing Sammy has made effort to make amends to EVH ever since Bowie died. Bill Murray did the same with Harold Ramis. Pity it was too late for Johnny Ramone when Joey died. I read that he cried for a week when he found out.

RIP

Most people have a lot of unexpectedly strong feelings when they lose people in their lives, whether they were getting along in the present or not.

These are complicated human experiences.....someone's death is that ultimate "line in the sand" in terms of making amends or refiguring a friendship.

& Life is really too short. Doesn't matter who you are......even if you are gifted with lots of years in a lifetime, the years pass quickly, more quickly every day.

Edited by BigMontanaSKY

Something I am working on, a little side project of compiling bike trips this summer with Rush songs during these weird times, I thought would be appropriate to post.

I found this quote only a couple of weeks ago, from (CDN) national journalist John Ivison of the National Post:

“I have never understood the outbursts of mass hysteria that have greeted the death of a celebrity that those grieving have never met. Yet I confess to finding myself moved to tears by the death of drummer Neil Peart, from brain cancer at the age of 67”.

This from a guy who joined the Backstage Club - Newsletters, back in the 80s.

I had to order them, but glad I did.

Reading Neil’s short stories and answers to the mountains of band mail has been a very endearing journey of its own.