treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 98956 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:13 PM

View PostLorraine, on 01 September 2020 - 11:10 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 01 September 2020 - 11:03 PM, said:

I fear I may have sidetracked this fear thread... :D-13:
I fear your fears are fearfully correct.
AYE!

But that's what threads are for!

Sponsored Post

#42 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 53208 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:17 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 01 September 2020 - 11:13 PM, said:

AYE!

Everyone forgot what they are afraid of.  ;)

Edited by Lorraine, 01 September 2020 - 11:17 PM.

#43 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 35824 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:21 PM

View PostLorraine, on 01 September 2020 - 11:17 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 01 September 2020 - 11:13 PM, said:

AYE!

Everyone forgot what they are afraid of.  ;)

I remember my past fears but current ones I’m not sure of. I don’t think I can really count stuff like not wanting to get sick or things like that because those are rational concerns, especially when we pass a certain age.

#44 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 35824 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:24 PM

Some might say that I’m scared of the water because I can’t swim but I enjoy jet ski, canoeing, and rafting. So, I don’t think I can say that I’m scared of the water. Seems more a matter of fact that I don’t know how to swim.

#45 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 98956 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:48 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 01 September 2020 - 11:24 PM, said:

Some might say that I’m scared of the water because I can’t swim but I enjoy jet ski, canoeing, and rafting. So, I don’t think I can say that I’m scared of the water. Seems more a matter of fact that I don’t know how to swim.
I can't swim either.

#46 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 35824 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:52 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 01 September 2020 - 11:48 PM, said:

I can't swim either.

So some supervillain thug like Hydro-Man would kick our asses?

#47 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 98956 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 12:04 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 01 September 2020 - 11:52 PM, said:

I can't swim either.

So some supervillain thug like Hydro-Man would kick our asses?
Yeah and Namor!

#48 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 8353 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, meteorology, movies, music, politics

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:02 AM

I can't float

#49 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

Tin Cup

• Members
  • 4009 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:29 AM

I can't swim either.

Me either. I love looking at a lake or ocean, but I'm happier with the view than being on the water.

And sometime before the thread got hijacked (ahem!), JohnnyBlaze asked what it was about social situations that causes anxiety. I can't answer for anyone else, but for my part, the fear is of being rejected or ignored or laughed at. I'm still in middle school in the reptile part of my brain, and one of my key goals is to avoid situations wherein I can't at least partly control the interaction.

#50 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 35824 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:43 AM

View PostNova Carmina, on 02 September 2020 - 06:29 AM, said:

I can't swim either.

Me either. I love looking at a lake or ocean, but I'm happier with the view than being on the water.

And sometime before the thread got hijacked (ahem!), JohnnyBlaze asked what it was about social situations that causes anxiety. I can't answer for anyone else, but for my part, the fear is of being rejected or ignored or laughed at. I'm still in middle school in the reptile part of my brain, and one of my key goals is to avoid situations wherein I can't at least partly control the interaction.

Thanks for bringing it back up and also answering :cheers:

It's interesting to hear answers to that particular question because I used to be pretty shy before age 16. So, I can relate. The shyness didn't really get eradicated until my early 20s...but I think I might've mentioned that already. I had friends throughout school so it wasn't like i was a lone wolf or anything. I think my hang up was more about being laughed at and/or possibly rejected. The ignoring bit which you mentioned wasn't something I thought about.

#51 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 81275 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:58 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 01 September 2020 - 09:32 PM, said:

For those who are uncomfortable in small social situations, what is it exactly about those situations that make them uncomfortable?
A hate for small talk.  I'm funny that way.

Seriously, I dread feeling like I have to feign interest in the mundane things people feel compelled to share.  If there's a topic that's more intellectual, I have no problem engaging.

#52 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 81275 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:00 AM

View Post_hi_water._, on 02 September 2020 - 06:02 AM, said:

I can't float
Me either, but I'm a great swimmer, and was even on the swim team in high school.

#53 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 35824 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:05 AM

View Postgoose, on 02 September 2020 - 08:58 AM, said:

For those who are uncomfortable in small social situations, what is it exactly about those situations that make them uncomfortable?

Seriously, I dread feeling like I have to feign interest in the mundane things people feel compelled to share.  If there's a topic that's more intellectual, I have no problem engaging.

Isn’t a lot of TRF small talk? That is, polls on favorite songs or bands, movies, etc....don’t they fit into small talk? Or are they so specific that you don’t consider them small talk?

#54 Syrinx

Syrinx

The Professor

• Members
  • 3280 posts
  • Interests:Dallas Cowboys!

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:19 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 02 September 2020 - 09:05 AM, said:

Isn’t a lot of TRF small talk? That is, polls on favorite songs or bands, movies, etc....don’t they fit into small talk? Or are they so specific that you don’t consider them small talk?
Funny I have no problem "conversing" by text or on line.  In person I am shy and introverted - unless alcohol or something else is involved.

#55 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 8353 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, meteorology, movies, music, politics

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:31 AM

View PostSyrinx, on 02 September 2020 - 11:19 AM, said:

Funny I have no problem "conversing" by text or on line.  In person I am shy and introverted - unless alcohol or something else is involved.
This.

#56 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 35824 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 03:50 PM

I understand. Text or online gives a certain level of anonymity.

#57 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 81275 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 04:15 PM

There's nothing small about talking RUSH or Van Halen.  :codger:

:P

But seriously, the discussions I engage in are usually around tone or technique, or perhaps songwriting, which I find interesting from a technical standpoint.  When things devolve into how bitchin' a song is, I usually check out.

#58 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 81275 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 04:15 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 02 September 2020 - 03:50 PM, said:

And an opportunity to gather one's thoughts.

#59 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 35824 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 04:28 PM

View Postgoose, on 02 September 2020 - 04:15 PM, said:

There's nothing small about talking RUSH or Van Halen.  :codger:

:P

But seriously, the discussions I engage in are usually around tone or technique, or perhaps songwriting, which I find interesting from a technical standpoint.  When things devolve into how bitchin' a song is, I usually check out.

Gotcha. Makes sense

#60 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 35824 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 04:32 PM

View Postgoose, on 02 September 2020 - 04:15 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 02 September 2020 - 03:50 PM, said:

And an opportunity to gather one's thoughts.

Very true too.

You guys wouldn’t have done TRF chat when it existed on here? Or maybe you have done it and I’m assuming?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users