RIP John Thompson, national championship coach at Georgetown, 78

laughedatbytime

:rose:

I remember before he became famous, bringing a Georgetown team into Bloomington to face the Hoosiers. They played hard and smart and gave IU all they could handle. It was really no surprise that they became as successful as they did, having one of the most dominant teams over a four year period as has ever been seen (except for the UCLA dynasty.)

• Like 2

I'm sorry, to hear, see, and read this. He'll be missed. My condolences, to his family, and friends. R.I.P., John.
  • Like 1

When I was at UConn in the pep band, We would play several games a year at The Hartford Civic Center, because the field house on campus was too small for Big East league games at that time. In the loading area of the arena where the busses would park there were some basketball hoops up on the walls. We'd get to the arena a few hours before game time and play little pick up games before it was time to go in. Thompson walked by one time and we just stopped and stared at him like we'd been caught doing something wrong. He just chuckled and said "Hey guys" and went on his way. I will always remember the week in January of 1990 when we were and ranked and beat #5 Syracuse and then #2 Georgetown in the space of 3 days. We then did it again in the Big East tournament in March. He was such a giant. Edited by edhunter
  • Like 1

May he RIP

lots of great games back then

Those were the good ol' days of Big East college basketball. Thompson, Lou and his sweaters, Ewing, Mullin...

good times indeed. he was a great coach. i was moved to chapel hill in time to see jordan play as a freshman.

• Like 2

Great coach. I remember when Villanova beat Georgetown (Ewing, JT as coach) it was truly a David and Goliath deal, they were a powerhouse.

In that game Villanova had to play just about a perfect game and they did. The Hoyas teams in the early 80's were truly powerhouse especially on defense with their paranoya.

I was lucky to see JT several times as he would come and visit Red Auerbach in 2006-7. Red lived in the same building as a client of mine as they played cards together at Woodmont CC.

RIP John Thompson

• Like 1

Great coach. I remember when Villanova beat Georgetown (Ewing, JT as coach) it was truly a David and Goliath deal, they were a powerhouse.

In that game Villanova had to play just about a perfect game and they did. The Hoyas teams in the early 80's were truly powerhouse especially on defense with their paranoya.

I was lucky to see JT several times as he would come and visit Red Auerbach in 2006-7. Red lived in the same building as a client of mine as they played cards together at Woodmont CC.

RIP John Thompson

That's cool. Yes, they had to play mistake free, slow the game down, and make their shots, anything short of near perfection and they would have never won.

• Like 1