The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

Poland down to Hungary in the early going? A sign of things to come?

They tell me that Hungary are on some sort of upswing, form-wise (albeit not to the standards of their 1950s heyday) so no need for Robert to get too downhearted if it goes awry tonight.
  • Like 1

Hungary 3 Poland 3 What a rollercoaster! Down 2-0, our new coach throws in a third forward and in two minutes we're tied. Our defense was horrible all night, not surprisingly we give up a third. Lewandowski saves our asses near the end. Simon talked about Hungary's better play lately ( winning their Nations League group against Turkey, Russia and Serbia a perfect example of that ) but the fact we had 70% possession of the ball in an away game gives hope for second place in this group.
  • Like 3

Hungary 3 Poland 3 What a rollercoaster! Down 2-0, our new coach throws in a third forward and in two minutes we're tied. Our defense was horrible all night, not surprisingly we give up a third. Lewandowski saves our asses near the end. Simon talked about Hungary's better play lately ( winning their Nations League group against Turkey, Russia and Serbia a perfect example of that ) but the fact we had 70% possession of the ball in an away game gives hope for second place in this group.

I hope you provide England with a similarly whole-hearted performance next week. Mings and Coady will have nightmares before facing Lewandowski :boohoo:
  • Like 3

I hope you provide England with a similarly whole-hearted performance next week. Mings and Coady will have nightmares before facing Lewandowski :boohoo:

I'm afraid you will find Poland worrying a lot more about their own penalty box. I wouldn't mind having that bald San Marino goalkeeper. He was amazing tonight.
  • Like 1

I'm afraid you will find Poland worrying a lot more about their own penalty box. I wouldn't mind having that bald San Marino goalkeeper. He was amazing tonight.

I`m happy to watch a match where neither side can defend :tempted:

Covid Schmovid.

Is that the fella who plays centerback for Albania?

Yes, the big lad with Jewish heritage I think. I was referring to England`s possible interactions with Blackhawkrush`s lot, with some members of their camp in isolation. No doubt it`s a labyrinthine Arsenal plot to get Kane to miss some Spurs games :tsk:
  • Like 1

Covid Schmovid.

Yes, the big lad with Jewish heritage I think. I was referring to England`s possible interactions with Blackhawkrush`s lot, with some members of their camp in isolation. No doubt it`s a labyrinthine Arsenal plot to get Kane to miss some Spurs games :tsk:

On that note, a major disappointment for Simon. Tottenham 0 Arsenal 3 in FA Women's Super League action.
  • Like 1

Covid Schmovid.

On that note, a major disappointment for Simon. Tottenham 0 Arsenal 3 in FA Women's Super League action.

In the interests of balance, Edinburgh City are on a fine run since I adopted them :cool:
  • Like 1

Covid Schmovid.

In the interests of balance, Edinburgh City are on a fine run since I adopted them :cool:

Getting back to COVID, Klich and Skorupski are infected and we're waiting for another shoe to drop. On the bright side, Cracovia's goalkeeper gets a call-up in place of Skorupski.
  • Like 1

Some purists may not consider it "soccer" but Ronnie`s excellent win from 9-6 down to 10-9 over Barry Hawkins deserves a mention,

Yes, the way this tournament's been proceeding, even being down 5-3 at the halfway point spelled doom. Well done, Ronnie.
  • Like 1

Poland 3 Andorra 0 :) Lewandowski was trying to create chances for the other two strikers and still ended up with two goals. :P

I went skiing in Andorra many years ago - well, I drank a lot and tried skiing one day, didn`t like it - and still can`t believe they have a team. It`s such a small, silly place. The only flat bit where you could have a pitch is the town square, as anywhere else someone would be kicking up a 25% gradient hill.
  • Like 1

Poland 3 Andorra 0 :) Lewandowski was trying to create chances for the other two strikers and still ended up with two goals. :P

I went skiing in Andorra many years ago - well, I drank a lot and tried skiing one day, didn`t like it - and still can`t believe they have a team. It`s such a small, silly place. The only flat bit where you could have a pitch is the town square, as anywhere else someone would be kicking up a 25% gradient hill.

You'll say anything to keep the attention away from Robertson's demolition of Ronnie. :finbar:
  • Like 1

You'll say anything to keep the attention away from Robertson's demolition of Ronnie. :finbar:

You try playing a man wearing a psycho clown`s toupee! No wonder Ronnie only managed a high break of 8 in the evening session, he must have been terrified.
  • Like 1

You try playing a man wearing a psycho clown`s toupee! No wonder Ronnie only managed a high break of 8 in the evening session, he must have been terrified.

Wasn't he in Doctor Who at some point? I thought Ronnie was going to get Robertson after that turnaround in frame eight.
  • Like 1

No Lewandowski against England. Hmmmph.

And now the coach is getting blamed for playing him against Andorra. They didn't have problem when he was scoring those goals. Everyone's a smartass after the fact. Good thing the injury is nothing major. And we're going to lose on Wednesday anyway, Lewandowski or not.

No Lewandowski against England. Hmmmph.

And now the coach is getting blamed for playing him against Andorra. They didn't have problem when he was scoring those goals. Everyone's a smartass after the fact. Good thing the injury is nothing major. And we're going to lose on Wednesday anyway, Lewandowski or not.

It`s shame, as he would have been the first player in twenty years that could have been a challenge during the monotonous qualifying campaign.
  • Like 1