The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#201 zepphead

zepphead

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1846 posts
  • Interests:Music .. Collecting music, listening, attending concerts, gym, horse racing, travelling, food & drink.

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:12 PM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 23 October 2020 - 01:02 PM, said:

View Postzepphead, on 23 October 2020 - 02:27 AM, said:

View Postblackhawkrush, on 21 October 2020 - 04:18 PM, said:

Bayern starts its new Champions League campaign with an impressive 4-0 win over Atletico.  :)
A bad night for both Madrid teams! Poor result for Real Madrid  v  Shakhtar!
Mostly good results for the English clubs although Chelsea will be disappointed with a draw.
From what I heard, Liverpool can't be very happy with its performance in Amsterdam. Lucky to get out of Dodge with a 1-0 win.
Yes, they certainly rode their luck without doubt.

Sponsored Post

#202 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

The Professor

• Members
  • 3037 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:40 PM

View Postzepphead, on 23 October 2020 - 01:12 PM, said:

When asked to consider promoting a new general and upon being told he was bright and hard-working, Napoleon's only question was "But is he lucky?"

#203 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2303 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, TV and films, Nature, Art/art history, US politics, Football (soccer) and most sports, Non-fiction, Not going out, Cats (especially black and white tuxedo cats)

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:23 PM

View PostNova Carmina, on 23 October 2020 - 02:40 PM, said:

When asked to consider promoting a new general and upon being told he was bright and hard-working, Napoleon's only question was "But is he lucky?"
Anyone who followed the English national team in the early 90s heard Graham Taylor use that line every time his team underperformed, which was often, in a vain attempt to abnegate his responsibilities. My hero Peter Cook rightly noted that to achieve those results, with that calibre of players, he was doing a cracking job ;)

#204 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 27182 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:30 PM

Hapoel 3 Slavia 1 Six Hapoel players and two coaches tested positive for the virus before the game. One player started getting symptoms at half-time. The host nation's health department decides if the game gets to be played. The Czechs are outraged. They probably would've gotten a walkover had the match been called off.

#205 zepphead

zepphead

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1846 posts
  • Interests:Music .. Collecting music, listening, attending concerts, gym, horse racing, travelling, food & drink.

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:36 PM

View PostIbanezJem, on 23 October 2020 - 03:23 PM, said:

View PostNova Carmina, on 23 October 2020 - 02:40 PM, said:

Anyone who followed the English national team in the early 90s heard Graham Taylor use that line every time his team underperformed, which was often, in a vain attempt to abnegate his responsibilities. My hero Peter Cook rightly noted that to achieve those results, with that calibre of players, he was doing a cracking job ;)
Poor old Graham Taylor RIP. I seem to remember at the time he was England manger the press absolutely crucifying him.

#206 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2303 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, TV and films, Nature, Art/art history, US politics, Football (soccer) and most sports, Non-fiction, Not going out, Cats (especially black and white tuxedo cats)

Posted 23 October 2020 - 05:40 PM

Leeds had 27 shots in their 3-0 win at Villa, somewhat spoiling Villa`s record.  I think both sides will be very satisfied with their league positions at this stage though.  And I will restate my previous observations on the matter - Leeds are the tits and Marcelo is the greatest!

#207 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 27182 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:40 PM

View PostIbanezJem, on 23 October 2020 - 05:40 PM, said:

Leeds had 27 shots in their 3-0 win at Villa, somewhat spoiling Villa`s record.  I think both sides will be very satisfied with their league positions at this stage though.  And I will restate my previous observations on the matter - Leeds are the tits and Marcelo is the greatest!
Nice assist from Klich on the second goal. He's been tried at the national level over the years but couldn't make the cut. Now, with the possible demise of Zielinski and Krychowiak at midfield, Mateusz may just stick around the Polish squad a little longer.

#208 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2303 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:56 PM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 23 October 2020 - 06:40 PM, said:

Nice assist from Klich on the second goal. He's been tried at the national level over the years but couldn't make the cut. Now, with the possible demise of Zielinski and Krychowiak at midfield, Mateusz may just stick around the Polish squad a little longer.
Most of the Leeds squad looked like average Championship players three years ago.  Now they look like good Prem players.  Klich has played every game for about eighteen months for Leeds, so I think he`s worth a spot for you.

#209 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 27182 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:46 PM

View PostIbanezJem, on 23 October 2020 - 06:56 PM, said:

View Postblackhawkrush, on 23 October 2020 - 06:40 PM, said:

Most of the Leeds squad looked like average Championship players three years ago.  Now they look like good Prem players.  Klich has played every game for about eighteen months for Leeds, so I think he`s worth a spot for you.
I was never a big Klich fan. He always seemed like a talent that was doomed to fail. And with the reviews Zielinski ( in Italy ) and Krychowiak ( in Russia ) were getting, the national team's manager had a tough time not to put those two in the starting line-up. Lately, they've been criticized for their performances, which opened the door for guys like Klich. I hope he remains at this high level because Poland has had a hell of a time trying to cultivate midfielders for quite some time.

#210 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 27182 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 12:53 PM

Bayern 5 Eintracht 0 Lewandowski with three goals.  :zzz:

#211 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2303 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 01:19 PM

Disappointing afternoon from VVV-Venlo against Ajax.  Facing 45 shots and 23 on target, when the ball spends about one hour only play, suggests a certain mental fragility.

#212 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 27182 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 04:17 PM

View PostIbanezJem, on 24 October 2020 - 01:19 PM, said:

Disappointing afternoon from VVV-Venlo against Ajax.  Facing 45 shots and 23 on target, when the ball spends about one hour only play, suggests a certain mental fragility.
I have a feeling Ajax wanted to break the all-time record for the highest win. After making it 10-0, the goal scorer grabbed the ball and ran towards the middle circle.

#213 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2303 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 06:11 PM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 24 October 2020 - 04:17 PM, said:

View PostIbanezJem, on 24 October 2020 - 01:19 PM, said:

I have a feeling Ajax wanted to break the all-time record for the highest win. After making it 10-0, the goal scorer grabbed the ball and ran towards the middle circle.
You`d kick and foul and swear until the ref sent off five players, and then abandoned things, wouldn`t you?

#214 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 27182 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 10:27 PM

Wisla 3 Podbeskidzie 0 :)  The score looks better than the style of play presented on the pitch. It's a valuable win so I shouldn't complain.

#215 zepphead

zepphead

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1846 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:00 AM

A hard earned 3 points for Liverpool. The way results are going so far this season every win is vital.

#216 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2303 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:07 AM

View Postzepphead, on 25 October 2020 - 04:00 AM, said:

A hard earned 3 points for Liverpool. The way results are going so far this season every win is vital.
Over the last few years, after 5 or 6 games, the Top 6 had already planted their flags and didn`t moved a lot after that.  It`s certainly a good thing that points are shared more equitably. 80+ pts used to suffice for a title and it`s a far better league when that`s the case - although I`m sure you thought last season was perfect!

#217 zepphead

zepphead

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1846 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:38 AM

View PostIbanezJem, on 25 October 2020 - 08:07 AM, said:

Over the last few years, after 5 or 6 games, the Top 6 had already planted their flags and didn`t moved a lot after that.  It`s certainly a good thing that points are shared more equitably. 80+ pts used to suffice for a title and it`s a far better league when that`s the case - although I`m sure you thought last season was perfect!
It was perfect - It had been a long wait to win the league. My son also supports Liverpool - i was more pleased for him as he had never experienced it .... I remember the old days of League Division One! So for him it just finished off things as he has seen them win pretty much everything else.

#218 zepphead

zepphead

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1846 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:39 AM

The league is certainly more exciting at the minute!

#219 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2303 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:13 AM

View Postzepphead, on 25 October 2020 - 08:39 AM, said:

The league is certainly more exciting at the minute!
A nice Everton defeat for us all to enjoy too :D

#220 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

Commit to the Indian

• Members *
  • 27182 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:44 PM

Lech 1 Cracovia1 Poznan was saving some of their players for the Europa League game against Rangers next week, but we also were undermanned. I still don't understand how Cracovia can sit out their best player the entire season just because he doesn't want to sign a new contract with the team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users