The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

Nice picks, Southgate. All we needed was for you to take one. :moon:

That looked really dodgy, bringing on Sancho and Rashford, for their first touch as 3rd and 4th penalty takers :sigh:

Also, I think that was Saka's third touch. :P

So much for tactical substitutions for the purpose of penalty taking!

Let's face it, the country that implemented penalty kicks last, doesn't deserve to win in that fashion.

Did you mean opt to go 2nd or something else? If you meant let Italy go 1st then I reckon they were thinking being at the England fan's end might help. Maybe it did and they might have missed all the penalties if they were at the other end!

I think Italy won the coin flip and elected to shoot first. Anyway, in England's case, it doesn't matter. :gumby: :gumby: :gumby: :gumby: :gumby:
  • Like 1

Italy. I think they`ve got something cooking under Mancini - I`ve been a fully justified, handsome fool with overlooking them. They`re a proverbial winning machine and they could be hot at the right time.

I don`t know why I didn`t put any money on this. Och... I`m a silly man.

Who do you like between Gloucestershire and Hampshire?

There must be something else for you to watch :fuckinputer: Oh, and it`ll be a draw due to lots of rain of course.

That would help Gloucestershire in the crucial table standings. I have to do something with myself before the Olympics start.

Think you`re too good for the British Open starting on Thursday, eh?
  • Like 2

Italy. I think they`ve got something cooking under Mancini - I`ve been a fully justified, handsome fool with overlooking them. They`re a proverbial winning machine and they could be hot at the right time.

I don`t know why I didn`t put any money on this. Och... I`m a silly man.

Who do you like between Gloucestershire and Hampshire?

There must be something else for you to watch :fuckinputer: Oh, and it`ll be a draw due to lots of rain of course.

That would help Gloucestershire in the crucial table standings. I have to do something with myself before the Olympics start.

Think you`re too good for the British Open starting on Thursday, eh?

It'll be rained out. ;)
  • Like 1

I am starting to get fed up with the OTT saturation media coverage now.

Frankly some of it is just jingoistic chest beating.

What the BBC/ITV seem to forget is that we are a nation of 4 countries.... not all English.

When a team in any sport from Scotland, Wales or N. Ireland reach a similar sporting height, it's a case of ... oh, good luck ...... next story please.

Lets get this match over and done with ... quickly please.

(Started writing this earlier mid-afternoon...)

I think the media goes overboard as well. Bit like the tennis. The young girl, Raducanu, had a few good wins at Wimbledon and everyone (i.e. all the English presenters rather than 'British') couldn't contain themselves thinking '...can she go all the way..' etc.

Personally, I love it when, as an Englishman, Wales, Northern or Rep of Ireland or Scotland are doing well too but I imagine the media, especially if it's England-based, focuses mainly on England.

I remember enjoying Wales do well with Bale, Ramsey and co. I enjoyed Rep of Ireland beat Italy in 94 with Ray Houghton, Roy Keane and co and then there it was good to cheer on Scotland when we thought Archie Gemmell and co were going to do well.

(Well being a Forest fan from the 70s, I was always going to cheer on Archie G and Roy Keane).

But as to those fans who boo other other teams' national anthems, personally I find it embarrassing and I think it's probably because football, in England, attracts the groups of fans and when they go as a group, the group mentality takes over, especially if the alcohol is flowing.

Or it's the fact that football appeals to the less sophisticated clientele, as per the stereotype - sports like rugby appeal to the middle classes and football appeals to the lower.

Well said. After all, it's only a game!

Nice picks, Southgate. All we needed was for you to take one. :moon:

That looked really dodgy, bringing on Sancho and Rashford, for their first touch as 3rd and 4th penalty takers :sigh:

It was bizarre rationale .... heaping major pressure on a couple of youngsters ...... certainly backfired.

Overall it was a game worthy of a final.

For me personally it was a major challenge ..... I watch horse racing on a Sunday afternoon and have beers to coincide!

After 90 mins and a day's beers inside me the sensible thing would be to stop taking more beer .... but oh no .... lets keep going!

Feeling somewhat fragile today!!

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

LABT would be right to pile onto England regarding the inevitable racist abuse that followed last night.

Now... I think that most players are incredibly mentally strong, and they would not have reached the pinnacle of their sport unless this was so. But. Is there even a semblance of a possibility that Harrys Kane and Maguire, both white and captains of country/club, both scored good penalties whilst knowing that they`re pretty much exempt from abuse at the England level, felt more comfortable lining up their penalties than Saka, Sancho and Rashford did?

Southgate may well be the right man to support the players due to his experiences, but he played in an era without social media. And if Rashford, Sancho and Saka did a Pizza advert making a joke about missing a penalty for England as Pearce, Southgate and Waddle did in the late 90s, I`m not sure it would be seen as gentle comedy.

• Like 2

Racist or any kind of discriminating behaviour is absolutely unacceptable - anywhere, anytime and by anybody. Rashford, Sancho and Saka were each under the highest pressure of their life so far when Southgate decided that they will take penalties. To miss a penalty in such a game is horrendous for any player, and after that you don't need any extra crap thrown on you. All love and support to these three players!

The biggest problems, as we all know, lies somewhere deeper, as in every society. Since I'm not from England I will not try to analyse the fanbase, management and actions of different teams in the national league system, let alone societal and political structures.

• Like 2

Racist or any kind of discriminating behaviour is absolutely unacceptable - anywhere, anytime and by anybody. Rashford, Sancho and Saka were each under the highest pressure of their life so far when Southgate decided that they will take penalties. To miss a penalty in such a game is horrendous for any player, and after that you don't need any extra crap thrown on you. All love and support to these three players!

The biggest problems, as we all know, lies somewhere deeper, as in every society. Since I'm not from England I will not try to analyse the fanbase, management and actions of different teams in the national league system, let alone societal and political structures.

I left England because it has changed - I don`t think I changed. The squad said taking the knee was for equality and fairness in society, Gareth wrote a long letter to all fans pre-tournament explaining it was not political. Before the tournament, the PM and Home Secretary both said that it`s fine for fans to boo the players taking a knee as it was political. Populist politicians can go surprisingly low to ensure they are loved. Then they try and row back today, but they reap the seeds they sow.
  • Like 2

LABT would be right to pile onto England regarding the inevitable racist abuse that followed last night.

Now... I think that most players are incredibly mentally strong, and they would not have reached the pinnacle of their sport unless this was so. But. Is there even a semblance of a possibility that Harrys Kane and Maguire, both white and captains of country/club, both scored good penalties whilst knowing that they`re pretty much exempt from abuse at the England level, felt more comfortable lining up their penalties than Saka, Sancho and Rashford did?

Southgate may well be the right man to support the players due to his experiences, but he played in an era without social media. And if Rashford, Sancho and Saka did a Pizza advert making a joke about missing a penalty for England as Pearce, Southgate and Waddle did in the late 90s, I`m not sure it would be seen as gentle comedy.

This is basically a repeat of the 2012 Italy-England shootout, when Gerrard and Rooney scored while Young and Cole didn't. I don't remember this kind of backlash back then, but what can you expect from those who attacked Danes...after an England win, no less.
  • Like 1

Borac Banja Luka - first victim of the elimination of the away goal rule.

They`ll be crying in the streets of Borac Banja Luka tonight. Extra time just to lose, when you would have been celebrating after 90 minutes, that`s annoying. It`ll be interesting to see what good the change does. Home teams used to attack, then they realised it was as important to keep a clean sheet. So away teams attacked more, and home teams shut up shop. I liked the impact it had in the past but two legged ties probably don`t need them these days, now all teams know each other.
  • Like 1

They`ll be crying in the streets of Borac Banja Luka tonight. Extra time just to lose, when you would have been celebrating after 90 minutes, that`s annoying. It`ll be interesting to see what good the change does. Home teams used to attack, then they realised it was as important to keep a clean sheet. So away teams attacked more, and home teams shut up shop. I liked the impact it had in the past but two legged ties probably don`t need them these days, now all teams know each other.

You don't think each stadium should hold one period of extra time and for penalties to be held on neutral ground...just to be fair?
  • Like 1

You don't think each stadium should hold one period of extra time and for penalties to be held on neutral ground...just to be fair?

Of course, we`re only discussing this because UEFA rejected my plan to play all matches on the surface of the Moon :sigh:
  • Like 1

Of course, we`re only discussing this because UEFA rejected my plan to play all matches on the surface of the Moon :sigh:

The moon left us in 1999, remember?
  • Like 2

The moon left us in 1999, remember?

It was a long milllenium, I forget things :codger:

Atalanta will be facing Toro in Turin the 22nd of August as the Seria A season 21/22 kicks off. Only 39 days left!

Juan Musso, a Copa América 2021 winning goalkeeper from Udinese has signed a contract with Atalanta. The rumour had it that La Dea had negotiated about getting Takehiro Tomiyasu in the squad but the Spurs apparently made a better offer.

There will be teams interested in Gosens, Maehle and Pessina for sure, and even though Atalanta will be playing in the Champions League next season it will not be easy to hold onto these guys in the near future.

The new Atalanta jersey has not yet been introduced. The Atalanta logo ashtray, spoon rest and baby romper suits remain in the collection in the official store, now accompanied with a whole new set of kitchen ware, duvet covers, and an electric scooter. :wacko:

• Like 1

Atalanta will be facing Toro in Turin the 22nd of August as the Seria A season 21/22 kicks off. Only 39 days left!

Juan Musso, a Copa América 2021 winning goalkeeper from Udinese has signed a contract with Atalanta. The rumour had it that La Dea had negotiated about getting Takehiro Tomiyasu in the squad but the Spurs apparently made a better offer.

There will be teams interested in Gosens, Maehle and Pessina for sure, and even though Atalanta will be playing in the Champions League next season it will not be easy to hold onto these guys in the near future.

The new Atalanta jersey has not yet been introduced. The Atalanta logo ashtray, spoon rest and baby romper suits remain in the collection in the official store, now accompanied with a whole new set of kitchen ware, duvet covers, and an electric scooter. :wacko:

Tomiyasu`s name has been bandied about in the papers for most of the summer, but it`s a very low percentage of rumours to actual deals at Spurs. Very rumour-heavy club to try and support.

Spoon rest, eh? And just where do Atalanta presume that I lay my other cutlery? On the table like a caveman? :rage:

• Like 1

Tomiyasu`s name has been bandied about in the papers for most of the summer, but it`s a very low percentage of rumours to actual deals at Spurs. Very rumour-heavy club to try and support.

Spoon rest, eh? And just where do Atalanta presume that I lay my other cutlery? On the table like a caveman? :rage:

Rumours are part of this sport, entertaining or not. :lol: I don't put much energy for reading about them.

:LMAO: It think the spoon rest is for the persons (I'm not referring to the mammas ;) ) who do the cooking in the kitchen while the others watch the game. :huh: The ashtray for me remains an interesting piece in the line of fan products of a professional sports club. Maybe in Bergamo the people love not to hide their realities just for the sake of an image. :ebert:

Edited by Sun & Moon
  • Like 1

Rumours are part of this sport, entertaining or not. :lol: I don't put much energy for reading about them.

:LMAO: It think the spoon rest is for the persons (I'm not referring to the mammas ;) ) who do the cooking in the kitchen while the others watch the game. :huh: The ashtray for me remains an interesting piece in the line of fan products of a professional sports club. Maybe in Bergamo the people love not to hide their realities just for the sake of an image. :ebert:

It`s the epitome of Italianate to have your sports club with a logo`d ashtray. Sarri chewing his cigarette butts Chelsea was the image that sticks in my mind of his year there. I wonder what vices over clubs across the world would like associated with them? Bongs for Ajax? Tacky beer glasses for weak American lager? And depressingly, it looks like Celtic and Rangers would have a needle to go with the spoon :eyeroll:

And yes, I can see the stereotypical Italian matriarch using a spoon rest, but I don`t think British clubs would get away with the misogyny. English clubs seem to push the clothing a lot more, and farcically overpriced books and prints. I`ve never bought anything Spurs-related since I was about 9, and I think that`s a good thing. I`ve kept my shape okay but still, unless you`re playing - Euro 2020 showed us the folly of this a lot - middle aged men should keep out of football kits :facepalm:

• Like 1

Nearly a week later, I think the abiding image of Euro 2020 will be Chiellini pulling Saka back by the collar.

There`s a funny cartoon with Saka as "your hopes, dreams and aspirations" and Chiellini as "the cold harsh realities of life" :lol:

• Like 1

So Sun & Moon, Spurs are planning on stealing Gollini and Romero from Atalanta :ph34r: Awkward...

If that happens, that's bad for Atalanta. Gollini has been the number one goalkeeper, but let's see if Musso can fill his boots. But Romero... I'd really hate to see him go.

• Like 1

So Sun & Moon, Spurs are planning on stealing Gollini and Romero from Atalanta :ph34r: Awkward...

If that happens, that's bad for Atalanta. Gollini has been the number one goalkeeper, but let's see if Musso can fill his boots. But Romero... I'd really hate to see him go.

Spurs` appointed Paratici as Director of Football purely to steal from Serie A so it seems, due to the low prices and high quality. Seems reasonable. I remember the 80s being slightly different, and were you and I players, CL clubs would be more attractive. Let`s pretend it`s the excitement of competing in the new Conference League :crazy:
  • Like 1