The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

I've only just summoned up the enthusiasm to return here after Sunday's humiliation at the hands of Aston Villa.

Not sure which was worse, the result or having to listen to my son-in-law on the phone bragging about it!

And you're just in time for the Bosnia-Northern Ireland match. I will be watching tomorrow with interest. :cheers:

Possibly another bad result on the cards!

I'm afraid not. ;) Congrats on the penalty shootout win. :cheers:

It was not easy viewing but a result is a result. A boost for us as we don't have a great squad at the moment. It's Slovakia next in November for a place in the Euros.
  • Like 1

I've only just summoned up the enthusiasm to return here after Sunday's humiliation at the hands of Aston Villa.

Not sure which was worse, the result or having to listen to my son-in-law on the phone bragging about it!

And you're just in time for the Bosnia-Northern Ireland match. I will be watching tomorrow with interest. :cheers:

It was not easy viewing but a result is a result. A boost for us as we don't have a great squad at the moment. It's Slovakia next in November for a place in the Euros.

I think the anthem fooled Bosnia into thinking they were playing England. :P Slovakia presents just about the same quality as Bosnia, so there must be some optimism in NI, right?
  • Like 1

I think the anthem fooled Bosnia into thinking they were playing England. :P Slovakia presents just about the same quality as Bosnia, so there must be some optimism in NI, right?

Yes, in theory we should be quite capable of a result against Slovakia ...... unfortunately it's those sort of games that we struggle in. But you never know!!
  • Like 1

Yes, in theory we should be quite capable of a result against Slovakia ...... unfortunately it's those sort of games that we struggle in. But you never know!!

And also, thanks for taking it to extra time. Bosnia should be somewhat tired playing Holland on Sunday and then my boys next Wednesday.
  • Like 1

And also, thanks for taking it to extra time. Bosnia should be somewhat tired playing Holland on Sunday and then my boys next Wednesday.

Poland should whip them!
  • Like 1

The Nations League game between Faroe Islands and Latvia showed how badly we are in need of VAR in all competitions. Latvian goal scored on an offside play. Penalty kick not given after a Faroe Islands player was elbowed to the head in the box, with the ball in the vicinity. No yellow or red card for stomping on the back of a defender on the ground. Faroe Islands should have won easily. Instead, the final score...1-1.

Poland 0 Italy 0 / Holland 0 Bosnia 0 I watched both games. :blink:

I watched Utopia on Amazon this evening - for wasted time, it`s Robert 0 Simon 0 AET, Robert wins 1-0 after 87 missed penalties.
  • Like 1

I watched Utopia on Amazon this evening - for wasted time, it`s Robert 0 Simon 0 AET, Robert wins 1-0 after 87 missed penalties.

You didn't watch England-Belgium? :blink:

No, I don`t get much of a thrill from these blasted international weekends :fuckinputer:

No, I don`t get much of a thrill from these blasted international weekends :fuckinputer:

Then I'm sure you're not an Arsene Wenger fan, who wants World Cups and Euros played more often than every four years.

Then I'm sure you're not an Arsene Wenger fan, who wants World Cups and Euros played more often than every four years.

Arsene Wenger played a bigger part in me being turned off football for a decade from about 1998 than any human alive! :rage:
  • Like 1

Arsene Wenger played a bigger part in me being turned off football for a decade from about 1998 than any human alive! :rage:

I won't pursue my enquiries any further then. :outtahere:
  • Like 1

Every Arsenal goal and win tore a piece of my heart out :rantoff:
  • Like 1

So, if you could only get one of the two things, Tottenham winning the PL or England winning the World Cup...which would you choose?
  • Like 1

So, if you could only get one of the two things, Tottenham winning the PL or England winning the World Cup...which would you choose?

99 out of 100 Spurs & PL, and the 100th time I think about it and then pick Spurs :chickendance: I should point out at this point that this is not as massively pro-Spurs a stance as it appears - it is indifference to my country! Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

99 out of 100 Spurs & PL, and the 100th time I think about it and then pick Spurs :chickendance: I should point out at this point that this is not as massively pro-Spurs a stance as it appears - it is indifference to my country!

What if all England team's players were from Spurs?

99 out of 100 Spurs & PL, and the 100th time I think about it and then pick Spurs :chickendance: I should point out at this point that this is not as massively pro-Spurs a stance as it appears - it is indifference to my country!

What if all England team's players were from Spurs?

Don`t forget my wife and I are looking to escape England in the near future, or, if you didn`t know this, you do now :ph34r: England winning brings out the worst in people (and then things like Brexit happen)... best case scenario is that all those players return safely to Spurs and then win the PL, like you promised above :ebert:

Any thoughts on the Liverpool/Man Utd bid for world domination selfless offer to save all English football?

Initial thoughts are anything that funnels more money to the lower leagues is good, since they need the help (and England doesn't have colleges and universities to prep players for them for free for the clubs, not free to the taxpayers, of course). Eighteen teams in the PL seems suspicious, but I'm always afraid the "Big Six" are going to jump to a European Super-League, anyway, so if it puts that off, it might be worth it. I'm not sure I totally understand the voting system, but one club, one vote would make more sense and be more fair (I know, complaining about "fair" makes me sound like a seven-year-old).

Skeptical but not outright hostile is my opening position. I do think it's funny that the nouveau arriviste Man City are considered more "important" to the English game than some teams like Newcastle or West Ham.

Any thoughts on the Liverpool/Man Utd bid for world domination selfless offer to save all English football?

Initial thoughts are anything that funnels more money to the lower leagues is good, since they need the help (and England doesn't have colleges and universities to prep players for them for free for the clubs, not free to the taxpayers, of course). Eighteen teams in the PL seems suspicious, but I'm always afraid the "Big Six" are going to jump to a European Super-League, anyway, so if it puts that off, it might be worth it. I'm not sure I totally understand the voting system, but one club, one vote would make more sense and be more fair (I know, complaining about "fair" makes me sound like a seven-year-old).

Skeptical but not outright hostile is my opening position. I do think it's funny that the nouveau arriviste Man City are considered more "important" to the English game than some teams like Newcastle or West Ham.

I`m in agreement with most of what you say. The European Super League cloud hovering over the game will inevitably burst; I`m not particularly enthused by the prospect as a for-TV, money generation league will be a cold and emotionless affair without the need for fan engagement. This would be a passport to that, in my view, as it would free up fixture dates, give the decision making all powers for the foreseeable future to a lucky cartel of clubs at a snapshot in time (like the Supreme Court, perhaps) and the current vulnerability of the league pyramid will affect clear-decision making from the EFL. A later start for the league means more flights abroad for friendlies, creating wealth and fans etc., and the robustness of the PL has always been its relegation and promotion - I predict this will become a very narrow fight between 20-22 clubs alone, perpetually swapping positions. That this has been about three years in the making confirms what we all know - Man City, Utd etc. will do anything to ensure Leicester or their ilk can never win the PL again and clubs outside of this could never get back... not a Clough or Bielsa or Shankly or anyone could lift a club into the elite. That part really sucks, for me, even though my club will doubtless be a huge beneficiary of the proposal.

Wolverhampton's Adama Traore has received call-ups from Spain and Mali to play in international fixtures. Which team would you choose? :unsure:

Well, if I wanted to play, then Mali. If, however, I also wanted to win . . .

He's in Spain's starting line-up today and looks like he's had more than a few donuts in his life. :atickhum:

Wolverhampton's Adama Traore has received call-ups from Spain and Mali to play in international fixtures. Which team would you choose? :unsure:

He's in Spain's starting line-up today and looks like he's had more than a few donuts in his life. :atickhum:

And the final score: Ukraine 1 Spain 0 :eh:

And the final score: Ukraine 1 Spain 0 :eh:

Another De Gea error, they tell me?