I think I'm supposed to introduce myself, so...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Flavia2112

Flavia2112

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 01:54 AM

View PostNova Carmina, on 29 August 2020 - 08:54 AM, said:

Salve Flavia!

Everybody's new at some point, and time being what it is, all points are equally good to start! Glad to have you hear/here.

Just remember, Grace Under Pressure is an underappreciated masterpiece.

Thanks!

Yes, as JohnnyBlaze put it, the worst time to get into Rush would be not at all. What I meant is that I hate having gotten into them LITERALLY RIGHT AFTER WHAT HAPPENED TO NEIL! :(

Thank you for the reminder.

(oh by the way this post took me like fifteen minutes to write because I kept being distracted by my profile picture... :wub: )

Edited by Flavia2112, 04 September 2020 - 01:57 AM.

Sponsored Post

#22 Bahamas

Bahamas

The Seeker

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Location:Thunder Bay, ON (Born and raised in Willowdale, ON).
  • Interests:Music, cooking together in the kitchen with cocktails, reading, winter wilderness survival, sailing, canoeing, cycling. Audio systems, both analogue and digital.

Posted 04 September 2020 - 08:33 PM

I read old forum posts often, it helps to immerse myself into the forum culture. Your profile picture, well we all have our distractions - mine is choosing a name based on a personal experience.
I really did think about a name for a while before choosing. Then over time it feels too personal and every time I see it, I think really? You chose that? Oh well.

Well, please check back in with what you are listening to.

I have heard people say "well Rush is OK but their music sounds the same". (A victim response to mediocre and lack of choices in Radio play). It makes me wiggle in my wellies. So far from the truth - if one takes time to listen.

The themes behind the albums, the evolution from grungy prog to synth and back to heavy. Their choices of added instrumentation, and of course Neil's themes and Alex and Geddy compiling sounds - the back and forth developments of songs, changing producers - but always the same hard working, true examples of stand up human beings.

Just one example of how awesome I think they are: A young fellow learns violin because of a Rush song he heard in 1982. Then the last tour, 2015, features a string ensemble and the same dude is playing live on stage...to the same song!

Always check out Youtube and Neil's books for more details :)

#23 Flavia2112

Flavia2112

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:49 AM

View PostBahamas, on 04 September 2020 - 08:33 PM, said:

I read old forum posts often, it helps to immerse myself into the forum culture. Your profile picture, well we all have our distractions - mine is choosing a name based on a personal experience.
I really did think about a name for a while before choosing. Then over time it feels too personal and every time I see it, I think really? You chose that? Oh well.

Well, please check back in with what you are listening to.

I have heard people say "well Rush is OK but their music sounds the same". (A victim response to mediocre and lack of choices in Radio play). It makes me wiggle in my wellies. So far from the truth - if one takes time to listen.

The themes behind the albums, the evolution from grungy prog to synth and back to heavy. Their choices of added instrumentation, and of course Neil's themes and Alex and Geddy compiling sounds - the back and forth developments of songs, changing producers - but always the same hard working, true examples of stand up human beings.

Just one example of how awesome I think they are: A young fellow learns violin because of a Rush song he heard in 1982. Then the last tour, 2015, features a string ensemble and the same dude is playing live on stage...to the same song!

Always check out Youtube and Neil's books for more details :)
Yeah, my username's kind of personal too. If the other person who knows the inside joke knew that I'd used it on an online forum, they might not be happy.

I'm so annoyed right now. Not at you. I was going to get a ton of Rush albums and some of Neil's books, but, long story, we had to take an emergency vacation and so I couldn't. And, other long story, I can't use YouTube. But I'm trying.

That violin thing! Wow!

#24 Bahamas

Bahamas

The Seeker

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Location:Thunder Bay, ON (Born and raised in Willowdale, ON).
  • Interests:Music, cooking together in the kitchen with cocktails, reading, winter wilderness survival, sailing, canoeing, cycling. Audio systems, both analogue and digital.

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:59 PM

Definitely look into Jonathon Dinklage, the violin bit. Even a google hit might get you some good footage. The song Losing It.

If you have a Kindle, or such, Neil's books are pretty much everywhere now. So much detail about local history, and thousands of miles of travel.  

And getting more albums, don't sweat it, friend. I don't think they are going anywhere for a long, long time :)

#25 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 85878 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:31 PM

Belated welcome! :hi:

(I don't actually understand the soup thing either).

#26 Flavia2112

Flavia2112

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 02:15 AM

View PostBahamas, on 17 September 2020 - 08:59 PM, said:

Definitely look into Jonathon Dinklage, the violin bit. Even a google hit might get you some good footage. The song Losing It.

And getting more albums, don't sweat it, friend. I don't think they are going anywhere for a long, long time :)
Thanks for the advice, but what I really meant by "I can't use YouTube" is "I can't do anything on the computer that involves sound." (Or I'd know a lot more Rush songs.)

I know, I know, I'm just impatient. At least it's not thirty years ago and I'm waiting for new albums to be released...although if it was thirty years ago, they'd still be touring...but I guess if it was thirty years ago I wouldn't be born yet...and we wouldn't be having this conversation even if I was born...

Edited by Flavia2112, 21 September 2020 - 02:24 AM.

#27 Flavia2112

Flavia2112

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 02:18 AM

View PostBabycat, on 17 September 2020 - 09:31 PM, said:

Belated welcome! :hi:

(I don't actually understand the soup thing either).
:hi:

Now I know not everyone on this forum knows every random bit of Rush trivia!
I think when I started this thread I was paranoid from reading the "you know you're not a Rush fan if..." thread.

#28 Smegger68

Smegger68

The Seeker

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Computers, HiFi & Motorcycles.

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:42 AM

I got into Rush in 1992 and felt a total fraud when talking about them to people then. Of course, that was before the internet but do you know what? All the Rush fans back then were just pleased I'd found the band and were incredibly kind and helpful - much like the denizens of this forum. I actually envy you in a way, you're getting to discover one of the best bands ever for the first time. How does it get better than that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users