Need help setting up Axess FX-1 controller with RJM Effects Gizmo!

Hi everyone! I have an Axess Electronics FX-1, the same foot controller that Alex has been using for years, since Snakes and Arrows or possibly even earlier. I've also got an RJM Effects Gizmo, like Alex used on the Clockwork Angels tour. My goal is to set up the FX-1 to control the Effects Gizmo, stompbox style, with 12 of the instant access switches assigned to turn the 12 Effects Gizmo loops on and off individually.

It sounds so simple but I'm having trouble getting it to work properly.

Once I can get that function working, it'd be nice to see if I can also set up the FX-1 to switch presets on things like an SPX-90. Maybe if I get the FX-1 expander, I can do something like that with the extra switches?

Any help would be appreciated! Is Scott Appleton still on this forum? :)

I think Scott posted once on this forum from this thread noted here.

Does this help here?

I'm sure you've probably read both manuals here and here as well for your scenario.

The Gear Page also might have the answer you're looking for as well.

Admittedly there isn't many individuals who post of the technical aspects of guitar equipment setup and troubleshooting on here.

Edited by RushFanForever

Hi everyone! I have an Axess Electronics FX-1, the same foot controller that Alex has been using for years, since Snakes and Arrows or possibly even earlier. I've also got an RJM Effects Gizmo, like Alex used on the Clockwork Angels tour. My goal is to set up the FX-1 to control the Effects Gizmo, stompbox style, with 12 of the instant access switches assigned to turn the 12 Effects Gizmo loops on and off individually.

It sounds so simple but I'm having trouble getting it to work properly.

Once I can get that function working, it'd be nice to see if I can also set up the FX-1 to switch presets on things like an SPX-90. Maybe if I get the FX-1 expander, I can do something like that with the extra switches?

Any help would be appreciated! Is Scott Appleton still on this forum? :)

Does this help here?

I'm sure you've probably read both manuals here and here as well for your scenario.

Those links are a good start.

I'm using a Liquid Food Pro controller (similar to the FX1) and a Voodoo Lab GCX (similar to the Effect Gizmo). My LF Pro has an interface program that I installed on my computer, and that makes it easy to configure and program the controller. Do you know if the FX1 has a similar program?

Thanks for the responses, guys! The FX-1 has a software editor, but they went out of business and I have only found a copy of the software as a .jar file from third parties, and I don't know how to get it going.

I have the manuals for both units. I've been able to get halfway there by turning on a switch on the FX-1, then turning on the corresponding switch I want on the Effects Gizmo and pressing "Write" on the Effects Gizmo. That will let me turn on and off that particular loop on the FX-1, EXCEPT, once I hit another switch on the FX-1, it will switch the first loop off in the Gizmo, turn on the next loop, yet both switches on the FX-1 will still be on...

For simplicity's sake, let's say I have switch 1 on the FX-1 linked to Loop 1 on the Gizmo, Switch 2 to loop 2, switch 3 to loop 3, ect.

I can turn loop 1 on and off with switch 1. But when I engage switch 2, loop 2 turns on, but loop 1 turns off, and switches 1 and 2 on the FX-1 will both be on.

I'll check out your link now!

Holy crap, I think I just figured it out! I'm surprised I didn't figure this out when I first got it if it was actually that easy, I went a long time without messing with it or using it, been too busy with work (USPS). I had to turn off program changes for the switches used and only use control changes, and NOT mess with the learn/write feature on the effects gizmo at all. I got this working for 3 different switches/loops and then rushed in to write this. So I'm gonna try and set up the rest and see what happens, thanks again! I'm a little intimidated by MIDI, didn't have a great grasp on control changes vs program changes.

Holy crap, I think I just figured it out! I'm surprised I didn't figure this out when I first got it if it was actually that easy, I went a long time without messing with it or using it, been too busy with work (USPS). I had to turn off program changes for the switches used and only use control changes, and NOT mess with the learn/write feature on the effects gizmo at all. I got this working for 3 different switches/loops and then rushed in to write this. So I'm gonna try and set up the rest and see what happens, thanks again! I'm a little intimidated by MIDI, didn't have a great grasp on control changes vs program changes.

Cool, keep us posted!

MIDI seems daunting at first, but once it clicks for you, you'll love how easy it is.