Spectator Sports: Do We Really Need Them In Our Lives?

Principled Man

The year 2020 is giving us all a good look at just how important spectator sports are to us. Not only economically, but socially and emotionally. Every year, millions of people invest a lot of time and money in following their beloved sports teams and players in college and pro leagues.

For the most part, it's all come to a crashing halt. Is this really a bad thing?

Could it be that the stoppage of spectator sports may turn out to be a positive catalyst in our lives?

Is it possible that we will learn to find other, BETTER things to do with our time and money?

Should we spend more time DOING things instead of watching other people do things?

:huh: :huh: :huh:

• Like 4

It depends how you define 'spectator'

- If you mean physically attending the event then yes, things have pretty much ground to a halt

- If you include watching via TV then it's pretty much business as usual (in terms of continuance) ..... Here in UK soccer continues, horse racing continues albeit behind closed doors but viewable on the TV.

• Like 1

if you’re watching/listening to other people play sports, then you’re a spectator, be it on television, on the radio, or in person.

My question is: Do you “need” it in your life? If your favorite sports stopped for good, would it cause any real harm to you?

• Like 2

if you’re watching/listening to other people play sports, then you’re a spectator, be it on television, on the radio, or in person.

My question is: Do you “need” it in your life? If your favorite sports stopped for good, would it cause any real harm to you?

In my case it might save me money as I tend to 'invest' on the horses!!!
  • Like 2

Do I "need" it in my life? No. No more than I need recorded music or visual artistry created by others in my life.

Do I want it in my life? Yes, along with those other things, they provide pleasure and are part of what makes life worth living.

• Like 3

What LABT said: no one really "needs" spectator sports -- I'd imagine that for most of history, most people haven't had it (jousting was not as portrayed in A Knight's Tale), and they muddled along. But like any art, it enriches our lives while also serving a sedative and usefully distracting social purpose.

If all sports stopped, it would drive me crazy -- for a while. Then, little by little, I'd find new things to do. Maybe I'd finally fix that broken doorknob on the upstairs door. Or maybe I'd start watching my neighbors mow their yards, timing them to see who gets it done faster.

• Like 3

What LABT said: no one really "needs" spectator sports -- I'd imagine that for most of history, most people haven't had it (jousting was not as portrayed in A Knight's Tale), and they muddled along. But like any art, it enriches our lives while also serving a sedative and usefully distracting social purpose.

If all sports stopped, it would drive me crazy -- for a while. Then, little by little, I'd find new things to do. Maybe I'd finally fix that broken doorknob on the upstairs door. Or maybe I'd start watching my neighbors mow their yards, timing them to see who gets it done faster.

2007_swifts_creek_lawnmower_races04_edit.jpg

Lawn Mower racing.

• Like 4

Ooh! I don't know about "sedative." :hockey: :rage: :hockey:
  • Like 2

no one really "needs" spectator sports --

I wish that were true. I personally know a few people whose lives would be wrecked without sports. MLB, the NFL, and betting on the games make up a large part of their lives. They would be miserable without them.

• Like 3

There are a lot of things we don't need in our life, but the more of those you take away the lesser life would be. I miss playing live music and attending concerts more than sports. I am a big sports fan and have been watching hockey and basketball. Eagerly awaiting NFL and my Cowboys but with a feeling they won't finish the season.
  • Like 2

As a member of my university marching band, it would be nice to have something of a normal football season this year, fall or spring. But obviously that's not going to happen. Do I need it? No. Does it impact my daily schedule and social life in a profound way? Absolutely.
  • Like 3

Do I "need" it in my life? No. No more than I need recorded music or visual artistry created by others in my life.

Do I want it in my life? Yes, along with those other things, they provide pleasure and are part of what makes life worth living.

I can agree with these responses. I don't actually "need" it but as a pleasant diversion it is very necessary. I am glad the NHL has been able to play and keep the athletes safe. Our University Football season is toast and it will be strange to not go to the games but I won't die (now my hubby is another story..he's pretty broken up. He starts counting down the days until the season starts every April). As season ticket holders, we provided some revenue for the school and they are going to take a big hit financially. I will miss the friends and family we see at the games maybe even more, took all those fun times for granted. A couple of our high school teams are playing this week, will see how that works out (not very confident it is a good idea).

Have to fall back on reading to fill in those gaps for the foreseeable future.

• Like 3

I know I have learned that I could easily live without it. I do enjoy watching hockey but its not like I was chomping at the bit for it.

Meh.

I used to watch everything and had ESPN on the tube around the clock. Now I don't own a television or have a TV subscription and seldom watch anything on TV.

• Like 1

I know I have learned that I could easily live without it. I do enjoy watching hockey but its not like I was chomping at the bit for it.

Meh.

I used to watch everything and had ESPN on the tube around the clock. Now I don't own a television or have a TV subscription and seldom watch anything on TV.

Wow I think I would have had a problem with going cold turkey like that. You are a braver man than me Gunga Din..But seriously we can live without them but I personally don't think I could not watch anything but guess I would if I had to. ;)

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

Any time I am in the US I am always struck by the passion shown for a great variety of sports at different levels and yet..... do rival fans fight with each other? No .. not that i have seen. Do fans riot in the streets? ... Again no. Can families attend games safely? Yes.

In the UK, the passion fans have for Soccer often transfers to crowd violence and disturbances. It has become very tribal and aggressive. When my son was growing up, I hated taking him to games to witness abuse, foul language and aggression from people who, frankly, should know better.

Would I miss the sport? Yes. Would I miss the fan violence and antisocial behavior associated with it? Hell no!

• Like 4

Meh.

Wow I think I would have had a problem with going cold turkey like that. You are a braver man than me Gunga Din..But seriously we can live without them but I personally don't think I could not watch anything but guess I would if I had to. ;)

The truth is, it wasn't cold turkey. For a long time I had been spending less and less time watching TV and following sports to the point where I was cleaning my living room and I looked at the TV and couldn't remember the last time I turned it on. It wasn't all at once. It really stems from the fact that I find the quality of entertainment out there is really, really bad. So much so that I have no interest in it. That includes TV, sports and movies. They are all just really terrible now.
  • Like 2

When my son was growing up, I hated taking him to games to witness abuse, foul language and aggression from people who, frankly, should know better.

And that was just the WAGS!

It hasn't improved from the dark days of Thatcherdom? I thought the disneyfication of parks like the Emirates, etc., and the expense of tickets had lead to fewer scenes. In the ground, at least; the pubs 'round them, maybe not.

There's another angle, though, isn't it? Are spectator sports in some ways actively harmful? Principled Man already mentioned gambling, and while fan violence in the US is rare, there are the occasional dumbasses -- like that Alabama fan (who just died) who killed a stand of famous trees on Auburn's campus with herbicides.

• Like 1

I'd be completely lost in life unless professional cornhole is on tv.

you can tell they're professionals because they have nice shirts with sponsors and someone else holds their beer when it's their turn.

• Like 2

you can tell they're professionals because they have nice shirts with sponsors and someone else holds their beer when it's their turn.

Most of my life i had known cornhole as...that other thing. Then, about ten years ago when i was visiting family and friends in my hometown, an old family friend said to me, "Hey Johnny, the autumn fair is going on this weekend. Why don't you drop by? We've got cornhole!" It was then that I learned of THIS recreational activity.

• Like 2

Any time I am in the US I am always struck by the passion shown for a great variety of sports at different levels and yet..... do rival fans fight with each other? No .. not that i have seen. Do fans riot in the streets? ... Again no. Can families attend games safely? Yes.

In the UK, the passion fans have for Soccer often transfers to crowd violence and disturbances. It has become very tribal and aggressive. When my son was growing up, I hated taking him to games to witness abuse, foul language and aggression from people who, frankly, should know better.

Would I miss the sport? Yes. Would I miss the fan violence and antisocial behavior associated with it? Hell no!

There are always a few scuffles or dust ups every year in most team sports popular in the US but we don't have the mobs except when dumb fans go nuts because their team won (or lost) a championship. It usually is taken out on cars getting burned and other stuff. I sure hope we don't devolve into actual fights but the way things are going in this country who knows? The only fighting I ever watch is in hockey :hockeygoon: :D

• Like 1

Most of my life i had known cornhole as...that other thing. Then, about ten years ago when i was visiting family and friends in my hometown, an old family friend said to me, "Hey Johnny, the autumn fair is going on this weekend. Why don't you drop by? We've got cornhole!" It was then that I learned of THIS recreational activity.

So if you don't mind me asking what sounds for all the world like an indelicate question!!! ..... what the hell is cornhole!!!!????
  • Like 1