Which version of Xanadu is cooler?

barney_rebel

Which version of Xanadu is cooler?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of Xanadu is cooler?

• The one off Farewell to Kings
    • The one off Exit Stage Left
    • The one off Different Stages
    • The one by Olivia Newton John?

I liked the ESL video version of Xanadu the best followed by the 1980 St Louis version. The 1980 went of Xanadu segued in from By-Tor. Sounded like Alex was using a Stratocaster on the 1980 versions of By-Tor(note the whammy bar pyrotechnics on that) and Neil's Tama drums were better than the Slingerlands.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ohmy.gif Gosh! I voted on this and never left my opinion on the subject? Must have been a newbie at the time! wink.gif

My favorite version of Xanadu is most definitely from Exit Stage... Left. Production issues aside, this was the album that introduced me to this song, as well as others. I was intrigued by it, drawn into the intricacies of their musicianship and the complexity of their sound. I hadn't heard anything like this before. I was, and still am, drawn to unique music. And, while I don't know if they're still AS unique now as they seemed to me to be then, everything on ESL defined my opinion of Rush in my 13-year-old mind.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Dec 12 2005, 12:13 AM)
ohmy.gif Gosh! I voted on this and never left my opinion on the subject? Must have been a newbie at the time! wink.gif

My favorite version of Xanadu is most definitely from Exit Stage... Left. Production issues aside, this was the album that introduced me to this song, as well as others. I was intrigued by it, drawn into the intricacies of their musicianship and the complexity of their sound. I hadn't heard anything like this before. I was, and still am, drawn to unique music. And, while I don't know if they're still AS unique now as they seemed to me to be then, everything on ESL defined my opinion of Rush in my 13-year-old mind.

goodpost.gif I agree wholeheartedly with all of your comments Sully Sue. Xanadu was a completely different song for me in terms of it's little intricate percussion and then raw power. ESL was my vote too. 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

ESL.....no doubt

I have to say, though, that Xanadu on R30 is amazing. I cannot BELIEVE how these guys can still carry off this song so perfectly. Is it just me, or is Alex Lifeson a freak of nature? Shouldn't he be slacking? Loosing his touch? His ability to hit every single note to near perfection is weird. It's really, truly weird. The other two guys, too. I love ESL's version, but I'm astounded by the quality Lifeson shows during the whole R30 DVD. What is UP with him and Crossroads? Damn! 1022.gif

He shoulda been at Crossroads.....WTF??? As I have said many times before.....AL and Lindsay B are the MOST underrated of all time.

I do like the R 30 version too.....I just miss the whole beginning portion of the song...like on ESL. That is SO cool with all the blocks and bells and Alex in the background doing is thing....I love it

QUOTE (Ern2112 @ Dec 14 2005, 12:30 AM)
He shoulda been at Crossroads.....WTF??? As I have said many times before.....AL and Lindsay B are the MOST underrated of all time.

I do like the R 30 version too.....I just miss the whole beginning portion of the song...like on ESL. That is SO cool with all the blocks and bells and Alex in the background doing is thing....I love it

Oh, I know, I know! But, do you know that "Crossroads" is a song by Robert Johnson written about Fort Worth? It's true! Rosedale is a main street in my town. As is Riverside. Robert Johnson recorded his first song in San Antonio. On the way there, he made his way through Fort Worth and heard of the rumor that he had sold his soul to the devil. So, he wrote the song, "Crossroads," while he was passing through Fort Worth, playing his amazing blues, in an effort to proliferate that rumor. Rumor also has it that he was poisoned because he had indeed sold his soul, and that's how he died.

Wow! Did not know all that. I am into him though......have a disk....and as far as i know...the only one there is....it a greatest hits thing...Rhino I think put it out.

I was reading that it is possible that "his" blues could be traced back a couple of generations in his family.....may just be a rumor....but...still interesting. He IS the father of blues......and all blues has it's roots with him....you can hear him in most any.

I also did not know about the poison thing.....I thought a jealous husband did it......he was kinda a player so I read

And by the way......you are like the coolest "rock trivia" lady I have ever visited with! Where did you get all this stuff? Does you hubby get into all this stuff too? Totally cool!!

I like my rumor better. tongue.gif

I researched Robert Johnson on the internet and came up with so many different versions, but they all seemed to come down to the fact that he was poisoned. It doesn't matter what you've done, if someone kills you by poisoning you, you f*cked up big time!!!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Ern2112 @ Dec 14 2005, 12:57 AM)
And by the way......you are like the coolest "rock trivia" lady I have ever visited with! Where did you get all this stuff? Does you hubby get into all this stuff too? Totally cool!!

I love music. It's imbedded in my personality. I don't know why. It bugs the shit outta me sometimes. But, I just know a lot about music. I know how to read also. tongue.gif

rofl3.gif ROTFLMAO Tears from cracking up....nice

Hey...did you get a chance to check my latest post on the R30 Compression bitch? 50 Cent deal? Killin me here.....who the hell are these people anyway?

QUOTE (sullysue @ Dec 14 2005, 12:01 AM)
I have to say, though, that Xanadu on R30 is amazing. I cannot BELIEVE how these guys can still carry off this song so perfectly. Is it just me, or is Alex Lifeson a freak of nature? Shouldn't he be slacking? Loosing his touch? His ability to hit every single note to near perfection is weird. It's really, truly weird. The other two guys, too. I love ESL's version, but I'm astounded by the quality Lifeson shows during the whole R30 DVD. What is UP with him and Crossroads? Damn! 1022.gif

Yes, Alex is a freak of nature. I grew up a fan of both Rush and Metallica, and I loved both Alex Lifeson's and Kirk Hammet's guitar work. However, listen to Alex at well over 50 versus Kirk at over 40. Granted, Metallica plays a lot of fast songs, but Alex is so damn perfect even at his age.

(disclaimer: I apologize to any Kirk Hammet fans in advance)

Back on the issue at hand. Here's my top three versions, with number one being my pick:

1) The Farewell to Kings version - it was a close call here. I just love the production. It has a natural feel to it, but is very lush sounding. Geddy's vocals are classic. This song had me hooked once I really started listening, and now I think it's a top 5 favorite of mine.

2) The Exit...Stage Left version - the original just barely beat this one out. I like the synths better on this version, but a little something seemed missing, I can't put my finger on it. Still top notch, though.

3) The R30 version - this version sounded better than the other two, and was played better and with a lot of energy for their age. However, this version lost some points because they shortened it. One of my favorite parts of the song is the "Pleasure Dome" part, and hearing it just once isn't enough. Otherwise, I hope they play this on they next tour, because this version kicked ass. 1022.gif

Archived