Which version of Xanadu is cooler?

barney_rebel

Which version of Xanadu is cooler?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of Xanadu is cooler?

• The one off Farewell to Kings
    • The one off Exit Stage Left
    • The one off Different Stages
    • The one by Olivia Newton John?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta go with the AFTK original. If ever there was a lingering doubt in my mind that Rush was something special when I started investigating the band all those years ago, hearing that for the first time surgically removed all questions and banished them forever.

I kinda liked it!! biggrin.gif

I didnt like the Exit Stage Left version, didnt like most of the album because none of the songs flowed together. Also didnt vote for the Different Stages version, as it truncated By-Tor for you to listen to it, I would have rather have heard the entire By-Tor. So you can guess what I voted for.

The one with the lowest temperature is coolest.

I voted for ESL, but the unreleased live version that went into Hemispheres during the Counterparts tour is my favorite.

I'm kind of partial to the version I've heard from the Roll the Bones tour, even though you only get half the song before they segue into "Superconductor." The Wal bass sounded great on "Xanadu," really brought out the clarity and definition in the bass part.

I voted for ESL......i love the transition between the trees and xanadu.

But my #1 favorite is from...

"First Contact".....over 13 minutes of Xanadu AND a great transition from By tor and the snow dog!!!!

Although, Olivia was very hot back then!!!! biggrin.gif

I went with ESL. Believe it or not the first time I ever saw the video for ESL was just a couple of months ago! I loved seeing it done the old way and there is a differance in it. I love the tubular, wind chimes ET that Neil uses. That makes it better for me.

Xanadu (FTK version) is still my favorite rush tune. The live versions are great, but nothing compares to the studio version.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Oct 12 2004, 12:17 PM)
I've never been impressed with ESL really - I find it disjointed and I don't like the production.

Blasphemy! Blasphemy I say! Off with his head biggrin.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ Oct 12 2004, 07:19 PM)
My favorite will always be the one from the Black Forest boot.

AGREED!!!!

A DESERT PASSAGE IS ALSO A GREAT VERSION

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Oct 12 2004, 09:43 PM)
No way I could have included all the boots and concerts in the poll!

Even still imagine all the version Olivia Newton John would have?

Sure you coulda! You are allowed 140 choices in the polls here! laugh.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Oct 12 2004, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Oct 12 2004, 09:43 PM)
No way I could have included all the boots and concerts in the poll!

Even still imagine all the version Olivia Newton John would have?

Sure you coulda! You are allowed 140 choices in the polls here! laugh.gif tongue.gif

But not fair to include boots and concerts (lots don't own boots or attend many concerts), thus skewing the results for the 'north american standard'

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Oct 12 2004, 11:37 PM)
Lol, but thats where all the best recordings are, you dont think just because the studio version has been done that thats the only good one.

Don't get mw wrong - I have my fair share of boots too (Birmingham UK 1988 is my favourite)... it's just not widely available for people to listen to in order to get a fair vote.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Oct 11 2004, 06:46 PM)
The one with the lowest temperature is coolest.

I voted for ESL, but the unreleased live version that went into Hemispheres during the Counterparts tour is my favorite.

I must agree here. The way they went from Xanadu to Hemispheres during the Counterparts tour still stands out in my memory. Just awesome. Since not on the vote list, I must vote with the original.

BTW: CAN ANYONE ANSWER THIS QUESTION?? Does Neil drop his drumstick in the ESL version? - just where the music is easing down a bit before the vocal begins. I've always wondered where that drum fill went. Should this be it's own Post?? biggrin.gif

Archived