Am I the only person who likes Bravest Face and Good News First?

_hi_water._

While these songs in particular aren't my favorites, I've seen lots of people bashing on them, and I really want to defend these songs.

First of all, I think the music and lyrics for both of these songs are awesome.

The track placement for S&A is great, and I think these 2 songs can show that well.

Now onto Geddy's yodeling... while not my cup of tea, I really love how he sings the choruses, and particularly this line in GNF:

Some would said they never fear a thing

Well, I do (well, I do)

And I'm afraid enough for both of us

For me and you (me and you)

Time, if nothing else, will do its worst

So do me that favor

And tell me the good news first

So does anyone else here like those songs, or am I all alone?

• Like 1

To me neither is a bad song in isolation, but when put up against the holistic Rush catalogue they simply fall short.

Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection

or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldEditEdit in GingerEdit in Ginger×

Edited by spaceaudity11
  • Like 2

These 2 in particular get better with every listen. Even though Snakes is my least favorite Rush album, I seem to like the songs that almost everyone else dislikes and vice versa. I never understood the distaste for songs like Spindrift, Faithless, Bravest Face, Good News First but at the same time, I really could go without Mal Nar, Main Monkey Business, The Way The Wind Blows, The Larger Bowl, ones a lot seem to, at the very least, think are pretty decent.
  • Like 2

I'm sure there hasn't been only one person, who likes "Bravest Face", and "Good News First". I've been another person, who has liked both songs. There have been other Rush songs in their catalog I like including on "Snakes & Arrows", but it hasn't mean they are bad ones.
  • Like 2

The best songs on the album for me are:

Far Cry

Armor And Sword

Workin' Them Angels

The Larger Bowl

The Main Monkey Business

Faithless

Malignant Narcissism

We Hold On

Edited by _hi_water._
  • Like 1

Great: Far Cry, The Main Monkey Business, Malignant Narcissism, Hope

Very Good: Workin' Them Angels, The Larger Bowl, Bravest Face, We Hold On

Good: The Way The Wind Blows, Armor And Sword

Meh: Faithless, Good News First

Hate it: Spindrift

The Way The Wind Blows should have been 90 seconds shorter. The repetitive chorus at the end is redundant and boring. The song feels like it's going on forever. Faithless and Good News First are just dull and plodding to me. The vocals on Good News First are irritating. Spindrift is one of their worst songs ever, IMO.

But overall, the album rocks! :haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 1

Great: Far Cry, The Main Monkey Business, Malignant Narcissism, Hope

Very Good: Workin' Them Angels, The Larger Bowl, Bravest Face, We Hold On

Good: The Way The Wind Blows, Armor And Sword

Meh: Faithless, Good News First

Hate it: Spindrift

The Way The Wind Blows should have been 90 seconds shorter. The repetitive chorus at the end is redundant and boring. The song feels like it's going on forever. Faithless and Good News First are just dull and plodding to me. The vocals on Good News First are irritating. Spindrift is one of their worst songs ever, IMO.

But overall, the album rocks! :haz: :haz: :haz:

what's wrong with Spindrift?
  • Like 1

Speaking of Spindrift, it’s nearly my #1 worst but it’s beat by Bravest Face’s yodeling. As a result, Spindrift with the marbles in Geddy’s mouth while he sings puts it at Bottom #2.

What am I supposed to say?

Where are the words to answer you

When you talk that way?

Ooh-ooh, oh

:rfl:

• Like 2

what's wrong with Spindrift?

I just don't like anything about it. The vocals, the lyrics, the riffs. They all rub me the wrong way.

Is there anything "wrong" with the songs that you don't like? It's all just subjective opinion, ya know.... :)

• Like 2

Aside from the music itself, I don't care for the lyrics. Neil was really beating a dead horse with more of his "the world is scary and people can be mean" themes. We had already gotten an entire album of that with Vapor Trails only with better music and passion
  • Like 2

I'm sure there hasn't been only one person, who likes "Bravest Face", and "Good News First". I've been another person, who has liked both songs. There have been other Rush songs in their catalog I like including on "Snakes & Arrows", but it hasn't mean they are bad ones.

I like Bravest Face and Good News First...quite a bit.

Count me in as someone who isn`t too keen on The Main Monkey Business. Ditto for Faithless.

• Like 1