Star Trek: Lower Decks...meh

JohnRogers

Lower Decks is no Rick and Morty. I’ll give it another episode. I’m too old to waste time on crappy cartoons*.

*That’s my wife speaking.

117597047_10223004980902349_1654409972483327900_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=47hPghKW7vgAX_mgC2H&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=4120559479e02d17bd3f38d352f11427&oe=5F572305117319107_10223004981062353_564773003477576529_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=f3RjBsdPRwgAX-03u62&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=6c766cbaa838595fda009cb376215bc2&oe=5F559AD2

• Like 1

Star Trek is dead.

Come home Bitter Boomer Star Trek Fan.

https://trekmovie.com/2020/08/16/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-bringing-back-planet-of-the-week-tos-style-says-alex-kurtzman/

As for Lower Decks episode two redeemed itself. I'm still on the give it a chance train.

not a huge fan of Star Trek tbh

also I think Rick And Morty sucks :)

I'm gonna go with you're not the target audience.

nah. Star Trek is for nerds :)

and Rick And Morty is just cringey af

Star Trek is dead.

Actually it's alive and well, but where the dinosaurs died, birds evolved. Enjoy fossilisation.

• Like 1

What are you in to?

Three episodes in now I'm onboard. Like many TV series it took some time to settle in. This is only really funny for hardcore Trek fans.

Says the Rush fan....

:)

I love Star Trek, and I started with TOS as a kid and watched every edition since.

The recent movies aren't Trek at all in my view.

Discovery very much IS Trek. I LOVE Discovery. (Although I despise the changed Klingons and I will forever think it is a BAD idea to go backwards. Star Trek should always move further into the future. I'm glad Disco's next season moves forward.

Picard, sadly, is not Trek. I was really disappointed in Picard.

I do not understand the dislike for Discovery.

To me it's no more 'dark' than DS9.

It's no more progressive minded than every other Trek.

It sink its teeth into deeper themes than simplistic good vs. bad throughout. People seem to miss it.

And oddly people see the character of Michael as an example of a 'perfect' hero- a Mary Sue.

This despite the fact that she screws up grandly in the very first episode.

But that argument goes nowhere. Critics find it preachy, flashy, and devoid of depth.

I disagree on every point (unless by preachy they mean 'progressive'- in which case - THAT'S Trek.

I don't like the glimpse of Lower Decks I've seen, but I'll give it a shot.

I love the Orville. Which is weird, because the Orville has terrible unfunny humor. But it's heart is pure Trek. So I have reason to give Lower Decks a chance.

Discovery sucks. It has no soul whatsoever. There's nothing challenging the boundaries, no moral to the story, no spirit of exploration and growth. Might as well be a Star War.

Picard was a great. Michael Chabon's story gave us deep philosophical conflict, a true struggle for the ideological heart of Roddenberry's future, and a cavalcade of deep new characters.

Lower Decks is just a juvenile love letter to TNG fans. It's very enjoyable in that perspective.

Two outta three ain't bad. I'm not down on nuTrek. I'm just down on Discovery- and I think CBS is too, which is why they're essentially rebooting it this season.

Edited by KenJennings

It's interesting to me how two people who clearly know Star trek can so completely disagree about the new shows and whether they embody Star Trek.

I think Picard abandoned all Trek and tried to deliver us an action piece devoid of deeper story, while Discovery had dozens of themes that were reflections on who we are as a species.

And you (Ken Jennings and others) have a dramatically opposite take.

In any event, neither offered exploration sadly. I am all for the reboot. Going to the future was always the better move, and hopefully they will get back to the exploration I miss. I already love the cast and the heart. If they fix the focus, would you come aboard, or is the damage done?

I think even Star Trek Discovery could be turning the corner. The soft reboot they gave the show this season seems to be working wonders for it. I've enjoyed the ride so far and am looking forward to what's next.

I’m two episodes in to Star Trek: Dumpster Fire season three and I’m starting to like it. I may begin to refer to it as STD now.

I have also come to enjoy Lower Decks.

Discovery this season has been fantastic (although both of you gave me cause for mild panic with your assessments of the latest episode.

I still haven't braved Lower Decks, but who am I kidding. I can't both be me and avoid a Star Trek incarnation.

Discovery this season has been fantastic (although both of you gave me cause for mild panic with your assessments of the latest episode.

I still haven't braved Lower Decks, but who am I kidding. I can't both be me and avoid a Star Trek incarnation.

I'll be surprised if it doesn't grown on you quickly.