NWK's Rush Song Rankings and Reviews

New World Kid

Inspired by Deckiller's list years ago, back in 2017 I made a Google Sheets document where I ranked every Rush song. Now that he seems to have left that task incomplete, I thought I'd give it a crack.

However, there are some qualities that will make this a potentially more unique experience than other lists.

For starters, this list will only rank original tracks released on studio albums. No singles, no live releases, no covers were included on this list.

That brings the total number of tracks to 165.

I never liked how many lists have no bottom end. We all love Rush here, and it is very difficult to give all but the worst contributions to the catalog an outright failing grade. And its easy to say, if you're part of this community, that, "Rush's worst is better than most band's best!" and give the lowest song a 6/10.

But I was inspired by a Science Fiction reviewer, SF Debris, to create scores relative to the Rush catalog alone. As such, there will be as many 10 out of 10s as there will be 1 out of 10s. That means there are 16 songs of each numeric rank. The 5 remaining slots were reserved for 0/10s: exceptionally low watermarks or unimportant entries in the rush canon.

Each song was given a total score, based on an accumulation of scores from a gut reaction ranking in 6 categories:

Historical Significance

How important was this song to the "story" of Rush. Did it matter? Did it define them in some way? Change them? Reach new audiences? Make a bold statement? That kind of thing.

Fan Favoritism

Summarized easily; of the Rush concerts I've attended, footage I've seen, and communities I've observed, how well liked does it seem this song is?

Lyrics

Putting on my literary analysis hat, how does the words, on their own, stack up? Is this bold? Creative? Visionary? Or weird? Trite?

Note: instrumentals were given a middle-of-the-road 5/10. It did keep all instrumentals out of the top 16 (a 10/10 score), but I think that's fair, given a chunk of what made Rush... Rush!... was missing. The highest ranking Instrumental received a 9/10 score.

Music

Taking off the lyricists hat and putting on my music analysis hat, same questions.

Uniqueness

Being progressive, being experimental, being boundary breakers: these were all things Rush was hailed for. And I think there needs to be some reward for trying new things... even if those new things didn't exactly land fully on their feet.

Extra Credit

Every other category here is me trying to be unbiased (realizing that's impossible). This category is purely an extra score based on my impression of the music. If its going to be a list created by myself, it ought to at least be 1/6th my views!

All of those categories were scored out of 10, which gave a total number. From there, the catalog was broken into 10 categories after every 16th song.

Now here's a disclaimer or two: I'm 30, and I discovered Rush in the mid 2000's. I did not grow up in the 70's or 80's, I do not have the nostalgic view for some Rush and not others. To be blunt: if you're part of the "old Rush good, new Rush bad" crowd, you're going to find a lot to disagree with here.

Also, I am a drummer and was working as an editor for a publishing company when I created this list. So when I'm analyzing the work, I'm doing it with those qualities of drumming and lyricism, for better or worse, as places of deep experience.

With all of that out of the way, I'd like to start at the bottom of the list.

The lowest ranked Rush song of all time, according to NWK in 2017, is:

Edited by New World Kid
  • Like 2

Rush_Presto.jpg

Anagram (for Mongo)

Total Score: 0/10

Category scores out of 10:

Historical Significance: 1

Fan Favoritism: 2

Lyrics: 1

Music: 3

Uniqueness: 4

Extra Credit: 2

This is a great song to lead off with, because this will maybe show off how this list is going to be different from others. Anagram isn't a bad song. It just isn't interesting. And in my head, being boring is a sin worse than being reckless.

This song exists solely to exhibit its lyrical content. More on that in a moment.

The backing music is almost definitely the most "filler song" of the entire Rush catalog. The fact I can describe it as "backing music" sort of proves that point.

Very safe melodies, very little heroics. A handful of Neil Peart signature fills, none of which are absolute jaw droppers. Geddy's voice is restrained, a learned skill compared to his early work, but this falls towards the side of "boring" because of it. The guitar is also restrained, with inoffensive, muted cords and shiny, crashing jangles of emphasis. Nothing exceptional there either.

Most of the flourishes, sonically, come from the sounds that were floating around the entire Presto album. An airy yet precise synthesizer. The strange sitar-meets-harp keyboard sound effect from the titular track, Presto, makes an appearance, in a dull way. And not to beat it into the ground, but the production on the entire album, which I will often overlook, just can't be ignored. Everything is happening in the air, sonically. No ground floor.

One possible positive regarding this song is the use of a clean piano, or at least a synthesizer imitating one. I often wish Rush had delved a little more into that, as cliche as it may be sonically. Having it lead the instrumental section was a unique choice. If only a guitar had, perhaps, done a call and response with it? Or created a harmony? More than just the piano itself.

Piano sounds notwithstanding, It is an entirely passionless performance. Attempting to be supported by a foundation from the lyrics.

But the lyrics, and you may disagree with me here... just aren't good. I understand that each line utilizes anagrams. But an anagram is just a literary device. And a string of anagrams don't say anything.

Imagine a song called Alliteration. And every line has most of the words starting with the same letter. But the lines, when put into verses, and the verses put into the entire song. And the entire song weighed against it self... says nothing.

I think The Enema Within, when creating the Rush Lyrics for Dummies content that's floating around the internet from about 20 years ago, said it best:

I'm out of ideas.

A do fuse I omit.

A doom suite if.

Of a toe sodium.

I, I'd moo a fetus.

You have to use literary devices to say something.

This is a writing exercise with 90's corporate elevator music, not a song.

But that's just me. What do you make out of Anagram? Check back later for number 164!

Edited by New World Kid
  • Like 2

Rush_Presto.jpg

Anagram (for Mongo)

Lyrics: 1

Music: 3

Uniqueness: 4

Extra Credit: 2

This is a great song to lead off with, because this will maybe show off how this list is going to be different from others. Anagram isn't a bad song. It just isn't interesting. And in my head, being boring is a sin worse than being reckless.

This song that exists solely to exhibit its lyrical content. More on that in a moment.

The backing music is almost definitely the most "filler song" of the entire Rush catalog. The fact I can describe it as "backing music" sort of proves that point.

Very safe melodies, very little heroics. A handful of Neil Peart signature fills, none of which are absolute jaw droppers. Geddy's voice is restrained, a learned skill compared to his early work, but this falls towards the side of "boring" because of it. The guitar is also restrained, with inoffensive, muted cords and shiny, crashing jangles of emphasis. Nothing exceptional there either.

Most of the flourishes, sonically, come from the sounds that were floating around the entire Presto album. An airy yet precise synthesizer. The strange sitar-meets-harp keyboard sound effect from the titular track, Presto, makes an appearance, in a dull way. And not to beat it into the ground, but the production on the entire album, which I will often overlook, just can't be ignored. Everything is happening in the air, sonically. No ground floor.

One possible positive regarding this song is the use of a clean piano, or at least a synthesizer imitating one. I often wish Rush had delved a little more into that, as cliche as it may be sonically. Having it lead the instrumental section was a unique choice. If only a guitar had, perhaps, done a call and response with it? Or created a harmony? More than just the piano itself.

Piano sounds notwithstanding, It is an entirely passionless performance. Attempting to be supported by a foundation from the lyrics.

But the lyrics, and you may disagree with me here... just aren't good. I understand that each line utilizes anagrams. But an anagram is just a literary device. And a string of anagrams don't say anything.

Imagine a song called Alliteration. And every line has most of the words starting with the same letter. But the lines, when put into verses, and the verses put into the entire song. And the entire song weighed against it self... says nothing.

I think The Enema Within, when creating the Rush Lyrics for Dummies content that's floating around the internet from about 20 years ago, said it best:

I'm out of ideas.

A do fuse I omit.

A doom suite if.

Of a toe sodium.

I, I'd moo a fetus.

You have to use literary devices to say something.

This is a writing exercise with 90's corporate elevator music, not a song.

Do you know where Rush for Dummies is on the net? I've spent hours searching for it, it's hilarious!

Agree 100% with the review of Anagram.

• Like 1

Do you know where Rush for Dummies is on the net? I've spent hours searching for it, it's hilarious!

In order to make sure I got the quote right, I googled it and found it on this obscure and strange website:

http://www.therushfo...cs-for-dummies/

But that only goes up to, I think, Test for Echo. And I know more was done.

Edited by New World Kid
  • Like 2

In order to make sure I got the quote right, I googled it and found it on this obscure and strange website:

I've seen more too. But thanks for finding this much!!!!

• Like 2

Hmmm... it would be in my bottom 10, but IDK if I would say it's my least favorite...

Part of the 6 individual scores leading to one cumulative score is that I didn't want a list of my favorites and least favorites on its own, but something that weighed that with a bit of extra objectivity.

Anagram is by far not my least favorite Rush song. But it just doesn't have any qualities that make it a stop worth seeing. Ever watch a movie that's "so bad its good"? Anagram isn't so bad its good. Perhaps its biggest curse is just being inoffensively bland.

Edited by New World Kid

I hope BU2B2 pops up soon... not bad but who's gonna sit down and listen to BU2B2 and JUST BU2B2?

That's not the intention with BU2B2. It's just an interlude. No one is going to listen to that specifically and nothing else from the album. It's there to tie the story together and be a bridge to the next song.

I've seen more too. But thanks for finding this much!!!!

Actually, within that thread there's all the way through S&A.

Looking forward to reading your reviews. Guessing this'll be a number of weeks if not months process and that's great. Anyone that has Mr. Bill as his avatar is worth reading.

I hope BU2B2 pops up soon... not bad but who's gonna sit down and listen to BU2B2 and JUST BU2B2?

That's not the intention with BU2B2. It's just an interlude. No one is going to listen to that specifically and nothing else from the album. It's there to tie the story together and be a bridge to the next song.

:goodone:

That's like asking me if I listen to The Sphere on its own.

ok, maybe that argument I made about BU2B2 was bad.

Instead I probs should've said "I never listen to this song unless I am listening to the whole Clockwork Angels album."

but then again you wouldn't listen to the Sphere on its own unless you are listening to the Hemispheres suite as a whole.

Edited by _hi_water._

Rush_Fly_by_Night.jpg

Rivendell

Lyrics: 2

Music: 1

Uniqueness: 9

Extra Credit: 1

I said early, to a comment in my previous review, that Anagram isn't my least favorite Rush song, but was put in last partially on the demerits of my scoring system.

This is my least favorite Rush song. You could power a lightbulb for a few hours with cumulative energy I've expelled mashing the skip button on a device when this comes on.

Because of that, I wasn't particularly sure I'd have much to say on Rivendell. Apparently that was incorrect, so bare with me here!

The kids these days use the word "cringe" for something that, "is so embarrassing or awkward, it makes you feel extremely ashamed and/or embarrassed." Which, that definition from Urban Dictionary is kind of cringe, given the repetition of the word embarrassed. Something so embarrassing you feel embarrassed. But I digress. I'm not reviewing Urban Dictionary, after all!

An older equivalent would be "corny," and these definitions fit this song to a tee.

But maybe this is unfair. You could compile a short novella of negative comments placing this work into a category of irredeemability over the years. So to challenge myself, let's examine some positives:

It's unique in the Rush catalog. Maybe not in the wider world of music, but this certainly stands out in the canon of Rush as something exceptionally different. And you do have to applaud that. There's an effort to grow, and a change of pace to where Rush's strengths are here. I can stand back and respect that. In 1975, a group that was known for "Working Man" and had been playing straight blues rock riffs in Led Zeppelin fashion, wants to try their hand at classical guitar and a softer approach. Credit is due, sincerely, for stepping so far outside their comfort zone.

Lyrically, there's a glimmer of some future elements that the band will come to be known for. References to literature, the Peart-ian eloquence in phrase turning.

Although maybe it gets a little too purple. From Wikipedia, "In literary criticism, purple prose is prose text that is so extravagant, ornate, or flowery as to break the flow and draw excessive attention to itself... Purple prose is criticized for desaturating the meaning in an author's text by overusing melodramatic and fanciful descriptions."

And that's pretty much the lyrics here. They're melodramatic and flowery. Three stanzas and one chorus that basically can be summarized as, "Rivendell is a very nice place to retire to because nothing happens in the tranquility of this meadow."

Another reason this, perhaps, rings hollower is because you have some very young and inexperienced humans writing and voicing thoughts of retirement as they read about it in a novel. A pretend pining, a longing for longing. The novel said it better already, and in fact, I do believe that Rivendell was the beginning setting. The place where the one ring is introduced, but not destined to stay. Because even the creator of Rivendell wouldn't try to center a work around a really nice retirement village.

Also, while Peart would go on to reference, and in some cases base entirely, songs around literature he read and respected, this version lyrically, more than any other, is devoid of additional input or interpretation. It's a rhyming encyclopedia entry on what Rivendell is.

But moving away from the unimaginative [on Peart's part] lyrics, there's also much to unpack musically. The guitar is... well crafted and presented, and perhaps is the best part of the song. I'm not speaking particularly of the songwriting on the instrument, but the instrument itself. Lost in whether or not the music is any good, the feeling I have overwhelmingly comes form the warm sounds of the acoustic guitar. My mother played classical guitar, and it reminds me of those times when she'd be playing on the other side of the room while I was engaged in my own world. There's a warmth to all of this for me from that experience: an embrace, a nostalgia, a comfort, and an easing of anxieties. When you're a child and Mom's around, everything's okay.

But then moving away from the instrument itself, what's being plucked out from within that resonant wooden instrument is... fine, I guess. Perfectly suitable as an audio track behind a PBS wood crafting documentary or a 40 year old video of Bob Ross painting a scene similar to the one described lyrically. Which, I suppose, means the tone is perfect. But the fact that it musically feels like what would be played behind the main focus of a larger work highlights the problems. Nothing is particularly ear-catching here. We'll hear plenty of better acoustic guitar from Lifeson in the future There's a stark contrast from the shy, understated composition here compared to the movement felt in the introduction to A Farewell to Kings, the dynamic chords found in Hope, or the foundation laid out mystically, mysteriously in Lifeson's solo effort Strip and Go Naked.

There's movement, progression, dynamics and signature to those three acoustic highlights in Lifeson's career, which is missing here in Rivendell. It's just some nice acoustic guitar.

But by far, the song was always going to live or die on the singing. Which is so delicate and vulnerable as to earn the "cringe" label I was describing earlier. It adds to the interpretation that the lyrics are sung by youth that cannot possibly understand the retirement after the journey, when the vocal styles sound so innocent and inexperienced as to not convey that thought. In coming years, softer Rush entries will see Lee grow a strength in the more delicate spectrum of his voice.

There's a way to sing delicately and peacefully without also losing the conviction in the words. A desire to seem vulnerable shouldn't come at that expense of a loss of urgency. Examples of this in Lee's future work can be felt in songs such as Different Strings, Nobody's Hero and, perhaps aggravatingly to some around here, on the song Tai Shan. In those three instances, Geddy Lee is singing softly, introspectively... but not in a way that questions whether or not there's meaning, feeling, behind the melody itself.

There are two very brief moments where you can feel the meaning in the recitation of the words in Rivendell. The first is the seemingly tired, exasperated rasp coming into his voice on the word stop in the phrase, "Stop here for awhile until the world/ the world calls you away". The second is the emphasis by both guitar and voice in this is in the line "This is the place to grow old 'til I reach my final day."

But two well sung words in five minutes of backing sounds for a PBS documentary does not a good song make. However, just like other early Rush miscalculations, this one serves at the expense of development. Geddy Lee is finding his softer side, and while he doesn't find it here... and doesn't find in in overdramatic fashion... there can be an appreciation for what is being learned here.

Vocally, this equivocates to a child's scribbles of flowers being put on the fridge. It's a good try little Geddy, keep at it! We're proud of you for trying.

But this is appearing in the same body of work, in comparison to, all of Rush for the purposes of this review. And in a broader context, in comparison to all music everywhere.

If you want this kind of thing, you can go find Simon and Garfunkel. They'll do it better every time.

But what do I know? What do you think?

Another idea I want to float... should I continue on to #163 in my rankings, or would we be better served with the variety of me finding a way to randomize these reviews? Skip around a bit, keep you guessing, and keep it from being too overly negative in the beginning phases of this project of mine? Let me know!

Previous Reviews:

#165 Anagram (for Mongo)

Edited by New World Kid
  • Like 1

Rush_Fly_by_Night.jpg

Rivendell

Lyrics: 2

Music: 1

Uniqueness: 9

Extra Credit: 1

I said early, to a comment in my previous review, that Anagram isn't my least favorite Rush song, but was put in last partially on the demerits of my scoring system.

This is my least favorite Rush song. You could power a lightbulb for a few hours with cumulative energy I've expelled mashing the skip button on a device when this comes on.

The kids these days use the word "cringe" for something that, "is so embarrassing or awkward, it makes you feel extremely ashamed and/or embarrassed." Which, that definition from Urban Dictionary is kind of cringe, given the repetition of the word embarrassed. Something so embarrassing you feel embarrassed. But I digress. I'm not reviewing Urban Dictionary, after all!

An older equivalent would be "corny," and these definitions fit this song to a tee.

But maybe this is unfair. You could compile a short novella of negative comments placing this work into a category of irredeemability over the years. So to challenge myself, let's examine some positives:

It's unique in the Rush catalog. Maybe not in the wider world of music, but this certainly stands out in the canon of Rush as something exceptionally different. And you do have to applaud that. There's an effort to grow, and a change of pace to where Rush's strengths are here. I can stand back and respect that. In 1975, a group that was known for "Working Man" and had been playing straight blues rock riffs in Led Zeppelin fashion, wants to try their hand at classical guitar and a softer approach. Credit is due, sincerely, for stepping so far outside their comfort zone.

Lyrically, there's a glimmer of some future elements that the band will come to be known for. References to literature, the Peart-ian eloquence in phrase turning.

Although maybe it gets a little too purple. From Wikipedia, "In literary criticism, purple prose is prose text that is so extravagant, ornate, or flowery as to break the flow and draw excessive attention to itself... Purple prose is criticized for desaturating the meaning in an author's text by overusing melodramatic and fanciful descriptions."

And that's pretty much the lyrics here. They're melodramatic and flowery. Three stanzas and one chorus that basically can be summarized as, "Rivendell is a very nice place to retire to because nothing happens in the tranquility of this meadow."

Another reason this, perhaps, rings hollower is because you have some very young and inexperienced humans writing and voicing thoughts of retirement as they read about it in a novel. A pretend pining, a longing for longing. The novel said it better already, and in fact, I do believe that Rivendell was the beginning setting. The place where the one ring is introduced, but not destined to stay. Because even the creator of Rivendell wouldn't try to center a work around a really nice retirement village.

Also, while Peart would go on to reference, and in some cases base entirely, songs around literature he read and respected, this version lyrically, more than any other, is devoid of additional input or interpretation. It's a rhyming encyclopedia entry on what Rivendell is.

But moving away from the unimaginative [on Peart's part] lyrics, there's also much to unpack musically. The guitar is... well crafted and presented, and perhaps is the best part of the song. I'm not speaking particularly of the songwriting on the instrument, but the instrument itself. Lost in whether or not the music is any good, the feeling I have overwhelmingly comes form the warm sounds of the acoustic guitar. My mother played classical guitar, and it reminds me of those times when she'd be playing on the other side of the room while I was engaged in my own world. There's a warmth to all of this for me from that experience: an embrace, a nostalgia, a comfort, and an easing of anxieties. When you're a child and Mom's around, everything's okay.

But then moving away from the instrument itself, what's being plucked out from within that resonant wooden instrument is... fine, I guess. Perfectly suitable as an audio track behind a PBS wood crafting documentary or a 40 year old video of Bob Ross painting a scene similar to the one described lyrically. Which, I suppose, means the tone is perfect. But the fact that it musically feels like what would be played behind the main focus of a larger work highlights the problems. Nothing is particularly ear-catching here. We'll hear plenty of better acoustic guitar from Lifeson in the future There's a stark contrast from the shy, understated composition here compared to the movement felt in the introduction to A Farewell to Kings, the dynamic chords found in Hope, or the foundation laid out mystically, mysteriously in Lifeson's solo effort Strip and Go Naked.

There's movement, progression, dynamics and signature to those three acoustic highlights in Lifeson's career, which is missing here in Rivendell. It's just some nice acoustic guitar.

But by far, the song was always going to live or die on the singing. Which is so delicate and vulnerable as to earn the "cringe" label I was describing earlier. It adds to the interpretation that the lyrics are sung by youth that cannot possibly understand the retirement after the journey, when the vocal styles sound so innocent and inexperienced as to not convey that thought. In coming years, softer Rush entries will see Lee grow a strength in the more delicate spectrum of his voice.

There's a way to sing delicately and peacefully without also losing the conviction in the words. A desire to seem vulnerable shouldn't come at that expense of a loss of urgency. Examples of this in Lee's future work can be felt in songs such as Different Strings, Nobody's Hero and, perhaps aggravatingly to some around here, on the song Tai Shan. In those three instances, Geddy Lee is singing softly, introspectively... but not in a way that questions whether or not there's meaning, feeling, behind the melody itself.

There's are two very brief moments where you can feel the meaning in the recitation of the words in Rivendell. The first is the seemingly tired, exasperated rasp coming into his voice on the word stop in the phrase, "Stop here for awhile until the world/ the world calls you away". The second is the emphasis by both guitar and voice in this is in the line "This is the place to grow old 'til I reach my final day."

But two well sung words in five minutes of backing sounds for a PBS documentary does not a good song make. However, just like other early Rush miscalculations, this one serves at the expense of development. Geddy Lee is finding his softer side, and while he doesn't find it here... and doesn't find in in overdramatic fashion... there can be an appreciation for what is being learned here.

Vocally, this equivocates to a child's scribbles of flowers being put on the fridge. It's a good try little Geddy, keep at it! We're proud of you for trying.

But this is appearing in the same body of work, in comparison to, all of Rush for the purposes of this review. And in a broader context, in comparison to all music everywhere.

If you want this kind of thing, you can go find Simon and Garfunkel. They'll do it better every time.

But what do I know? What do you think?

Another idea I want to float... should I continue on to #163 in my rankings, or would we be better served with the variety of me finding a way to randomize these reviews? Skip around a bit, keep you guessing, and keep it from being too overly negative in the beginning phases of this project of mine? Let me know!

Previous Reviews:

#165 Anagram

it would be my bottom 3 as well... not bad for me, but kills off the pace and feels of Fly By Night

ok, maybe that argument I made about BU2B2 was bad.

Instead I probs should've said "I never listen to this song unless I am listening to the whole Clockwork Angels album."

but then again you wouldn't listen to the Sphere on its own unless you are listening to the Hemispheres suite as a whole.

Exactly.

:cheers:

• Like 1

I actually enjoy Rivendell a lot. Probably won't agree with many of your rankings, but you know what? That's OK, and I appreciate the perspective you're sharing as well as the effort involved.
  • Like 2

I actually enjoy Rivendell a lot. Probably won't agree with many of your rankings, but you know what? That's OK, and I appreciate the perspective you're sharing as well as the effort involved.

you wouldn't agree with Half The World being higher than #165
  • Like 2

Great job on these reviews. Two for two so far, in terms of being well-written and loaded with detail. I appreciate the effort.

I actually want to do the same thing, but Imma let this guy go first

Great job on these reviews. Two for two so far, in terms of being well-written and loaded with detail. I appreciate the effort.

There's 165 songs, I'm not gonna be offended if you go for it!

• Like 1

Aw, shucks you guys!

• Like 2

I have a list but I wouldn't want to embarrass myself by writing such thorough takes on all their songs.

• Like 2