Wilford Brimley (1934-2020)

Principled Man

Marine, blacksmith, wrangler, ranch hand, bodyguard for Howard Hughes, film stuntman.....

....and a very good actor. Gruffy old curmudgeons and paternal figures were his specialties.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5220/1342/400/natural2.jpg

http://filmmanautographs.webs.com/photos/Autographs/IMG_0012.jpg

• Like 5

I'm sorry, to hear, see, and read this. He was a good actor, who was in great, and memorable movies. For sure, he'll be missed. My condolences, to his family, and friends. R.I.P., Wilford. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 2

Marine, blacksmith, wrangler, ranch hand, bodyguard for Howard Hughes, film stuntman.....

....and a very good actor. Gruffy old curmudgeons and paternal figures were his specialties.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5220/1342/400/natural2.jpg

http://filmmanautographs.webs.com/photos/Autographs/IMG_0012.jpg

Cocoon was the first non G rated movie I saw when I was 4. Appropriately, my maternal grandparents took me to see it.

• Like 2

For me, he'll always be remembered for his brief appearance in Absence of Malice, as the "good ole boy" Justice Department supervisor. He has a line from that movie that I myself have "borrowed" on several occasions:

"It ain't legal, and by God, worse than that, it ain't right."

Honorable mention goes to his observation of "blinding" when one of his players in The Natural claims to have lost a ball in the sun on a cloudy day.

RIP

• Like 1

For me, he'll always be remembered for his brief appearance in Absence of Malice, as the "good ole boy" Justice Department supervisor. He has a line from that movie that I myself have "borrowed" on several occasions:

Honorable mention goes to his observation of "blinding" when one of his players in The Natural claims to have lost a ball in the sun on a cloudy day.

RIP

Great scene in a great movie.

"We can talk all you want,but come sundown two things will be true that ain't true now. One is that the department of justice is gonna know what in the name of Christ, excuse me Angeline, is going on around here and two, I am gonna have someone's ass in my briefcase."

Edited by thesweetscience
  • Like 1

RIP

"We can talk all you want,but come sundown two things will be true that ain't true now. One is that the department of justice is gonna know what in the name of Christ, excuse me Angeline, is going on around here and two, I am gonna have someone's ass in my briefcase."

I love when he tells the US Attorney, Elliot I think, to make his case because it will be good practice for him. :LOL:

RIP

I love when he tells the US Attorney, Elliot I think, to make his case because it will be good practice for him. :LOL:

Still the best scene in the movie is Newman and Field in the warehouse after the Teresa Perrone thing.

What a great movie. I have it on DVD. I need to watch it again.

Cautionary tale about what can happen when the media acts irresponsibly. Modern journalists could learn something from it.

• Like 1

RIP

Still the best scene in the movie is Newman and Field in the warehouse after the Teresa Perrone thing.

Cautionary tale about what can happen when the media acts irresponsibly. Modern journalists could learn something from it.

I thought Newman got robbed of the Oscar in 1981. Henry Fonda won it that year, and I considered it to be a sympathy award, as Fonda was dying.

But Newman later won for The Color of Money, which I thought was quite inferior to Absence of Malice. Shows what I know .... :laughing guy:

• Like 1

RIP

I thought Newman got robbed of the Oscar in 1981. Henry Fonda won it that year, and I considered it to be a sympathy award, as Fonda was dying.

But Newman later won for The Color of Money, which I thought was quite inferior to Absence of Malice. Shows what I know .... :laughing guy:

I was probably the only kid in my middle school who thought On Golden Pond was brilliant. I have always been a huge fan of Catherine Hepburn and Henry Fonda. I love Paul Newman but I really think it was a toss up as both actors hit it out of the park that year.

Edited by thesweetscience

I always liked his performances, but I hated the TV series Our House, which was a lame remake of Father Knows Best.

Brimley played Gus, who took in his daughter-in-law (Deidre Hall) and her kids after his son died.

Most episodes focused on Grandpa always having the solution, always knowing "the right thing to do".

I found it to be quite patronizing towards Deidre Hall's character, who apparently needed Gus to teach her kids Right from Wrong.

Edited by Principled Man

Careful, Assistant U.S. Attorney General James Wells, that finger might be loaded!

00brimley-articleLarge-v2.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

RIP Wilford. I guess he will no longer telling people about "diabetus".

or selling oatmeal

may he rip

There’s a funny reference to that in my favorite MST3K episode, Mitchell, which stars the late John Saxon as well.

Servo: “I’ll never get old. I’ll never die. And I’ll always eat oatmeal.” :LOL: