Jump to content


Olivia de Havilland, Oscar-winner and the last star of the Golden era of Hollywood, dies peacefully in her sleep at 104

to hell with goodhell

  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 95441 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 26 July 2020 - 11:36 AM

RIP Olivia

Edited by treeduck, 26 July 2020 - 11:38 AM.


Sponsored Post

#2 pjbear05

pjbear05

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3894 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 26 July 2020 - 11:49 AM

RIP Olivia.  I have "The Adventures of Robin Hood", in which she plays Maid Marian opposite Errol Flynn, on DVR.  I'll watch that later.  Classy lady.

#3 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 39578 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Favourite bands:
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
    Iced Earth
    Fleet Foxes
    Rush
    Biffy Clyro
    Nightwish
    After Forever
    Epica
    Lacuna Coil
    Toto
    Dream Theater
    Trivium

Posted 26 July 2020 - 01:17 PM

One of my favourite actresses ever, I recently rewatched Gone With The Wind, and she made the character fascinating to watch, where other actresses could have made her boring.

#4 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6325 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Home Media, Rants

Posted 26 July 2020 - 01:24 PM

Another person dead in their sleep? 2 days in a row? :wtf:

but RIP Olivia :(

#5 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3035 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 26 July 2020 - 01:50 PM

Rest in peace

#6 Derek19

Derek19

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2836 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Comox, B.C.
  • Interests:I like listening to music, watch movies I think look, and are really good, exercise, read, and computers including learning more about them, and what to do.

Posted 26 July 2020 - 02:26 PM

I'm sorry, to hear, see, and read this.  She should, and will be missed.  My condolences, to her family, and friends.  R.I.P., Olivia.

#7 librarian

librarian

    Aquarian Librarian

  • Members
  • 6332 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:The Land of Jimmy Sturr

Posted 26 July 2020 - 02:46 PM

104, God Bless Ya! Olivia - RIP :rose:

#8 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 25000 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:53rd and 3rd

Posted 26 July 2020 - 05:28 PM

Aw, 104, still a sad loss.

“The Heiress” is one of my favourite movies.

One of our cats is named after her.

Rest In Peace, Olivia.



#9 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 51334 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:08 PM

Melanie.   Her and Mammy were the only two that had any smarts and sense in GWTW.

RIP, Olivia!  You are the last of the old-time greats.  They're not like you and your sister anymore.

#10 Rhyta

Rhyta

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1779 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Utah
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:17 AM

View PostLorraine, on 26 July 2020 - 10:08 PM, said:

Melanie.   Her and Mammy were the only two that had any smarts and sense in GWTW.

RIP, Olivia!  You are the last of the old-time greats.  They're not like you and your sister anymore.
Yes very sad to hear this, she moved to Paris the year I was born!  104 is a long life.  It is sad that she and her sister Joan Fontaine were not on speaking terms. She was nominated for Best Actress for “Hold Back the Dawn” (1941) but she lost to her sister, Joan Fontaine, who won for “Suspicion.” The two were rarely on speaking terms after that. (They are the only sisters to win best-actress Academy Awards, and their sibling rivalry was called the fiercest in Hollywood history.)  That is a long time to hold a grudge :eh:

#11 zepphead

zepphead

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1827 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:N. Ireland
  • Interests:Music .. Collecting music, listening, attending concerts, gym, horse racing, travelling, food & drink.

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:32 AM

RIP Olivia.

#12 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 76399 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:04 AM

View PostRhyta, on 27 July 2020 - 03:17 AM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 26 July 2020 - 10:08 PM, said:

Melanie.   Her and Mammy were the only two that had any smarts and sense in GWTW.

RIP, Olivia!  You are the last of the old-time greats.  They're not like you and your sister anymore.
Yes very sad to hear this, she moved to Paris the year I was born!  104 is a long life.  It is sad that she and her sister Joan Fontaine were not on speaking terms. She was nominated for Best Actress for “Hold Back the Dawn” (1941) but she lost to her sister, Joan Fontaine, who won for “Suspicion.” The two were rarely on speaking terms after that. (They are the only sisters to win best-actress Academy Awards, and their sibling rivalry was called the fiercest in Hollywood history.)  That is a long time to hold a grudge :eh:
https://www.biograph...ne-sisters-feud

What a crazy story.

#13 Chicken hawk

Chicken hawk

    The Sphere

  • Members
  • 9094 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Maine
  • Interests:The Ocean . concerts, ball games, bicycling.

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:31 PM

R.I.P. Olivia.     Wow in 1938 she was in a movie Robin Hood.  
Posted Image

#14 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 76399 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:30 AM

View PostChicken hawk, on 27 July 2020 - 12:31 PM, said:

R.I.P. Olivia. Wow in 1938 she was in a movie Robin Hood.  
Posted Image
Used to be one of my favorite Saturday afternoon classics.

#15 Syrinx

Syrinx

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2859 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto
  • Interests:Dallas Cowboys!

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:03 PM

RIP.  104 - that is a good life!

#16 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The Oracle

  • Members *
  • 10419 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:37 PM

Someone on Facebook posted something along the lines of, "not another one? 2020 is so sad". She was 104 freaking years old. People die.

#17 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 39578 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Favourite bands:
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
    Iced Earth
    Fleet Foxes
    Rush
    Biffy Clyro
    Nightwish
    After Forever
    Epica
    Lacuna Coil
    Toto
    Dream Theater
    Trivium

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:47 PM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 28 July 2020 - 02:37 PM, said:

Someone on Facebook posted something along the lines of, "not another one? 2020 is so sad". She was 104 freaking years old. People die.

She's been one of my favourite actresses my whole life really, grew up with her movies. I was shocked to find out she was still alive when she turned 100. She lived to an amazing age, and honestly feel this is a death that feels more like a victory than a loss. She had an incredible life, her late in life interviews on YouTube are a joy to watch, and she used her life to do as much as she possibly could and it's just amazing to learn about.

I love her work.

#18 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 10733 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:42 PM

RIP, Olivia!  :rose:





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: to hell with goodhell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users