Pitt: Shit or The Shit?

JohnnyBlaze

Brad Pitt - How 'Bout Him?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which Brad Pitt (related) movies would you give an A- grade or higher?

• Thelma & Louise
    • Johnny Suede
    • Cool World
    • A River Runs Through It
    • Kalifornia
    • True Romance
    • Interview with the Vampire
    • Legends of the Fall
    • Seven
    • 12 Monkeys
    • Sleepers
    • The Devil's Own
    • Seven Years in Tibet
    • Meet Joe Black
    • Fight Club
    • Snatch
    • The Mexican
    • Spy Game
    • Ocean's Eleven
    • Troy
    • Ocean's Twelve
    • Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    • Babel
    • Ocean's Thirteen
    • The Assassination of Jesse James...
    • Burn After Reading
    • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    • Inglourious Basterds
    • The Tree of Life
    • Moneyball
    • Killing Them Softly
    • World War Z
    • The Counselor
    • Fury
    • The Big Short
    • Allied
    • War Machine
    • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    • (other movie not listed)
    • (none)
  2. 2. How is Brad Pitt as an actor?

• He's extremely versatile and believable in his roles. Hands down, he's my favorite of all time!
    • He might not be one of the all-time greats but he's a very good actor who I try to see every time.
    • He has his good and bad flicks just like every other actor but yeah, I'd say he's good.
    • He's okay overall. I don't think about him too much but he has been in some decent flicks.
    • He's not very good at all, below average even...but he does pick some enjoyable Hollywood movies to star in from time to time.
    • I may like some of the movies he's been in but he's a terrible actor.
    • Shitty actor in mostly shitty movies. He's lucky he's a name.

A couple of these A- movies (True Romance, The Big Short) would be great even if Pitt weren't in them, so he's drafting there. He was hilarious in Snatch and Ocean's 11 (the sequels were tedious, self-referential, etc.), and despite people mocking "what's in the box?", we was doing it all in Seven.

A good, but not great. He's more Signals than Moving Pictures.

• Like 2

I've got him in twelve A- or better movies on that list. Not bad. He's a good actor that often lands roles in really good movies with other strong actors. My picks for the strongest films were...

A River Runs Through It

Legends of the Fall

Seven

12 Monkeys

Fight Club

Ocean's 11

Burn After Reading

Inglourious Basterds

Tree of Life

Moneyball

The Big Short

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

• Like 2

Despite liking a handful of his movies, I really dislike him as an actor. Hammy, wooden, and/or over-the-top are how I often see him.

I’ve only got one movie, Thelma & Louise, as an A- or higher but other enjoyables that’d be in the B range include: True Romance, Sleepers, Seven, Snatch, Burn After Reading, and The Big Short.

Imho, the best movie he’s been in (albeit a very minor though important role) is 12 Years A Slave. I’d give that an A.

I think Pitt is actually UNDERRATED as an actor. In A River Runs Through It and Se7en he is fantastic. He's great in Fight Club and Moneyball. He's versatile, and not every character is a variation on the same person, like many great actors do. He gets a bad rap as a "pretty boy."

I would have actually picked option one, but he's not my favorite actor ever.

• Like 1

In my teen years I dismissed him and Leo as guys that girls love and that’s it. As a grown adult, I really want to smack that younger me upside the head. They’ve proven themselves. They’re not hacks like Taylor Lautner. Hell, Channing Tatum showed showed dramatic improvement with Foxcatcher.

Instead of the popular choices which are good, I’ll mention what I think is underrated for him and that would be his overlooked performance in Babel.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

I think Pitt is actually UNDERRATED as an actor.

How do you figure? He’s got some Academy Award acting nominations under his belt, and he won one recently. He’s also got a couple of Golden Globe wins too. Even in this thread the only negative opinion he’s gotten is from me, everyone else has been speaking highly of him.

How do you figure? He’s got some Academy Award acting nominations under his belt, and he won one recently. He’s also got a couple of Golden Globe wins too. Even in this thread the only negative opinion he’s gotten is from me, everyone else has been speaking highly of him.

How often do you hear his name mentioned in the context of being one of the era's best actors (not to be confused with "biggest star")?

• Like 1

How often do you hear his name mentioned in the context of being one of the era's best actors (not to be confused with "biggest star")?

Who are those best era actors you’re talking about? ...because I’d say Denzel and Daniel Day Lewis are the best actors of the last 30 years. And if you’re saying Pitt’s up there with those two behemoths then I couldn’t disagree with you more.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Who are those best era actors you’re talking about? ...because I’d say Denzel and Daniel Day Lewis are the best actors of the last 30 years. And if you’re saying Pitt’s up there with those two behemoths then I couldn’t disagree with you more.

I'd put him above Washington relatively easily. In fact, Washington's a pretty good example of what I was talking about. He basically plays what appears to be version of himself in every movie, except maybe Malcolm X. I don't really care for Lewis although I know a lot of people rate him very highly.

• Like 1

I'd put him above Washington relatively easily. In fact, Washington's a pretty good example of what I was talking about. He basically plays what appears to be version of himself in every movie, except maybe Malcolm X. I don't really care for Lewis although I know a lot of people rate him very highly.

I see

I see

As far as his relative contemporaries go, I'd say Tom Hanks, Robert Downey, Jr., Will Smith, and Christian Bale are the better ones. IMO of course. All time, for me it's either Gene Hackman or Morgan Freeman.

Wooden City!

There are obviously worse actors around. Name three.

Marky Mark

Hayden Christiansen

Shieet LeBum

Some understandable calls there.

Personally, I wouldn’t put Marky Mark on there because he hasn’t annoyed me enough. He’s just kind of forgettable.

With Christiansen, I’ve only seen him in Star Wars. He was horrible and those particular SW movies were rancid. I’d need to see him more in order to dislike him even more.

LeBouf...oh yeah, for sure. Much worse than Pitt. At least Pitt has been in movies I’ve enjoyed and has been ok in some scenes with his co-stars. LeBouf is just always garbage. Even outside of the movies he seems like trash.

• Like 1

LeBouf...oh yeah, for sure. Much worse than Pitt. At least Pitt has been in movies I’ve enjoyed and has been ok in some scenes with his co-stars. LeBouf is just always garbage. Even outside of the movies he seems like trash.

Maybe that's why he fit the role of John McInroe in the tennis movie. He didn't have to pretend to be an a-hole.