70's vs 80's Rush

New_World_Man

I know this has been done before but I think it's cool that an online radio station website recently had some fun with it so I thought I would post it. I just came across it randomly since I don't live in Michigan. https://wmmq.com/rush-70s-80s-better/?fbclid=IwAR0n4pCpgg3-Qr4CmvwN_WBbxY3f3FMmP-iWutoP04hLmCJIo9n0fvoDUNo

There's no actual voting on there though it's more like just a discussion. Anyway, I was thinking about it quite a bit and although some of my very favorite Rush albums were released in the 70's I think ultimately I might go with the 80's. It's very close though and almost a toss up.

Does Permanent Waves tip the decision depending on which decade it's lumped with?

Yes, which is why we here at TRF have agreed that it's a 70s album. :popcorn:

• Like 3

Does Permanent Waves tip the decision depending on which decade it's lumped with?

No, accurately classifying it just gives the 70s that much more of an advantage.

• Like 3

PeW or not, the 80s prevails for me.

Moving Pictures is my favorite Rush album. So thats a good start. and PoW and HYF are both probably in my Top 5. Presto is the weakest from the 80's, and even that album really only has 1 bad song (with a lot of average ones though). Between the 4 Synth albums, there are really only 2 songs that I would even think of disliking.

• Like 2

For me it kind of does because although it was recorded in late 79 it was released in early 80 so I personally consider it an 80's album.Plus to me it's much closer in sound to MP than to Hemispheres so there's that also.

• Like 1

70's all the way ...... no synth posing and pseudo-Police wannbe songs. My God, it's not even close!!!! (But then again ALL music was better in the 70's!!)
  • Like 3

70's all the way ...... no synth posing and pseudo-Police wannbe songs. My God, it's not even close!!!! (But then again ALL music was better in the 70's!!)

So what you're saying is that your ears haven't ever changed.

Mine have, several times. I burned out on those 70s sounds.

The last few years they've become attuned to modern electronic music, much of which is directly inspired by the synth wars of the 80s.

• Like 2

So what you're saying is that your ears haven't ever changed.

Mine have, several times. I burned out on those 70s sounds.

The last few years they've become attuned to modern electronic music, much of which is directly inspired by the synth wars of the 80s.

No problem getting attuned to electronic music...... doesn't mean its better!

Moving Pictures was recorded and released in the 80s.

Debate is over.

Hehehe ....Fly By Night, 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves all recorded in the 70's .... like you said .... debate is over ... now!
  • Like 2

My favorite albums are Caress Of Steel, Hemispheres, Farewell To Kings, and 2112. So very easy decision for me.
  • Like 2

The 70's have Permanent Waves.

Enough said.

:yes:

Only it's not a 70's album. ;)

Please turn in your True Rush Fan card to 73 on the way out :poke:

• Like 3

Enough said.

I was never issued a Rush card in the first place. Were you?

Regardless I'm entitled to my opinion and I already stated earlier in this thread(which I started)why I feel that way.

Enough said.

I was never issued a Rush card in the first place. Were you?

Regardless I'm entitled to my opinion and I already stated earlier in this thread(which I started)why I feel that way.

Was just a joke dude, you're always entitled to your opinion.

• Like 3

Tough one. Some of my favorite songs were written in the ‘70s, but some of my favorite albums came out in the ‘80s. I think Permanent Waves is the deciding factor here, because it’s right on the edge. So…’70s it is.
  • Like 2

70s - one stinker with Caress of Steel

80s - two stinkers with Hold Your Nose and Presticle.

Frtom the OP's link...

3) What's the most underrated Rush album from each of these two decades?

Reed: For the '70s, it's definitely Caress of Steel.

Stenger: Caress of Steel is without question Rush’s most underrated album of the ‘70s.

Wardlaw: It's hard to look at any of the '70s albums as being underrated. But 1975's Caress of Steel is probably the closest from their work in that decade.

:moon:

:LOL:

I prefer 70's Rush, but my favorite Rush album is Permanent Waves.

Hard rock sound over synth-rock.

Hard to disagree with this post, but you used the wrong conjunction.