_hi_water._'s reviews: Rush (1974)

_hi_water._

I'll start doing some album reviews every once in a while. Maybe you'll find this stuff an interesting read... idk but I'll do it anyways.

The self-titled album... what a groundbreaking classic. It's not just "Working Man" or "In The Mood" that's good...

This album can go either ways for Rush fans (or rock/prog fans in general): you either think it's a mind-blowing classic, or you think it's a mediocre Led Zeppelin-clone album. Yes, people, it sounds like Led Zeppelin. Canadian Led Zeppelin. "Yeah! Ohhh yeah!" "Oh yes, I need some love!"

Let's first talk about the musicianship on the album. Well, first of all, this is the only Rush album that doesn't have Neil Peart, so obviously the drumming isn't that outstanding (don't we all feel the same way?).

However, some people ignore this album, despite it havin' tasty guitar riffs, and some really soothing bass. Good examples of this are on the songs "Take A Friend," "What You're Doing," and "Working Man."

But of course, like all Led Zeppelin-esque and South Californian rock style songs, it's likely that the lyrics aren't as impressive as you think (oh David Lee Roth, um... I didn't say anything.) Examples of this are on "Need Some Love" and "In The Mood." But as I usually say, lyrics are secondary, NOT primary.

So what are my thoughts on the production? Just great overall. Very crisp.

And the songs overall? Here it is:

"Finding My Way" - killer opening. Just kickass.

"Need Some Love" - too short for me. Should've been longer. Other than that, pretty good song. Just not too memorable.

"Take A Friend" - this is the first Rush song that shows their prog roots. Underrated!

"Here Again" - one of their best. It's very bluesy, and it's earwormy to me.

"What You're Doing" - excellent riffs. The solo is killer.

"In The Mood" - fun song. It's a dumb song about f**king! Love it!

"Before And After" - the before part. Stellar, just... stellar. After is pretty good too.

"Working Man" - a classic for sure. Excellent riffs, excellent bass, and the drumming... is actually pretty good.

Album Rankings:

1 - Rush (1974)

I mean so far... this is the only Rush album I reviewed. It will progress.

And that's my review on this album. What are your thoughts on this album? What are your favorite songs? Do you agree or disagree with my review? Post below, I'd love to get stuff cookin'. :d13:

Edited by _hi_water._
  • Like 2

It’s a very good, fun album. However, due to the high quality of Rush’s other releases, it just doesn’t crack the Rush Top 10. No shame in that though as it has plenty to be proud of.

The standouts: Working Man, Before and After, Finding My Way, What You’re Doing

One thing that I never agreed with is some TRFers’ thought that the debut “isn’t Rush”. Well, of course, it’s Rush. Every band has a beginning and this was theirs. And a strong, hardworking, screaming moment in time it was.

Final album grade: “K” for “kick ass”

:blaze:

• Like 3

Take A Friend is an abomination. Other than that, a group of average songs thrown in with the great Here Again, Before and After, and Working Man make this album a classic. Dull moments, boring moments, but Alex's tone is BA (he knew what he was doing, putting such a sexy riff on In The Mood)

B+ 6.5/10

• Like 1

One thing that I never agreed with is some TRFers’ thought that the debut “isn’t Rush”.

:blaze:

Agreed. It very clearly is RUSH, and features lots of great Ged and Alex moments. It's always been one of my favs, and I have lots of good memories tied to it.
  • Like 3

As a stand-alone entity Rush is a decent hard rock album ... not going to set the world on fire, but not bad either. There

are some Zeppelin influences ... but hell, why not? .... newbies Greta Van Fleet are trying to make a living out of it ffs!!

But that is all it is.

Now ask yourselves .... if Rush continued in that style, with that lineup ...... would we be chatting here today??? .... i suggest not.

Ah but i hear you say ...

'but every band will naturally progress as they go on'.

Album #2 was not 'natural progression' .... it was a stratospheric leap.

Rush album rating 6/10

• Like 1

As a stand-alone entity Rush is a decent hard rock album ... not going to set the world on fire, but not bad either. There

are some Zeppelin influences ... but hell, why not? .... newbies Greta Van Fleet are trying to make a living out of it ffs!!

But that is all it is.

Now ask yourselves .... if Rush continued in that style, with that lineup ...... would we be chatting here today??? .... i suggest not.

Rush album rating 6/10

I mean... you do have valid points.
  • Like 1

But that is all it is.

Rush album rating 6/10

I mean... you do have valid points.

Look, I don't want to knock any albums Rush have created, that's not what i am about here, nor disrespect John Rutsey as

he was part of the band right from the start, I just think the first album needs to be viewed in a slightly different light to the rest of the albums.