How Would You Have a Rush Newbie Get Into Rush' Discography?

_hi_water._

Why am I making this thread? I don't know... I guess to share thoughts? Ah well here I am...

If I would get a newbie into their discography, this is how I would do it:

Listen To First:

Fly By Night

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

Next Steps:

Rush

A Farewell To Kings

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Counterparts

Vapor Trails

Clockwork Angels

Take Precautions:

Caress Of Steel

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Test For Echo

Snakes & Arrows

Listen To On Your Own Time:

Feedback

I’d ease a newbie into things. Probably start with New World Man, then maybe Subdivisions, and if those went well follow with Limelight. If they were still with me then I’d do Signals, MP, and PeW. Edited by JARG

Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

A newbie needs nothing more. Fly By Night is a bad choice to start with because it's still a band trying to figure out their identity.

Yeah, as much as i love FBN i must agree on both counts. If they dont connect with perm waves or moving pics there is no sense in trying any further.

I suspect exit stage left converted more people than any other release back in the day.

• Like 2

If I truly had someone who was willing to listen to 30-60 minutes of Rush, I'd try to throw in a sampler of every era into a playlist. So something like, off the top of my head:

Bastille Day, Xanadu, The Spirit of Radio, Limelight, Subdivisions, Mystic Rhythms, Presto, Animate, Secret Touch, The Garden.

In my head that seems like it'd be about an hour?

But I've reached a lot of people my age with newer Rush compared to older Rush. Older Rush has to come later, and becomes a gateway drug to classic prog.

Edited by New World Kid

Listen to Moving Pictures. If that doesn’t at least mildly interest him/her, then nevermind

IF they’re interested in more, I’d tell them about 2112’s importance and have them visit that album second.

Third would probably be Permanent Waves.

In terms of evolution, I can think of 2112 as Rush’s discovery and wielding of fire, Permanent Waves as the development of spears, and Moving Pictures as the use of arrows and other projectile type weapons.

The debut simply has Neanderthal Rush clubbing things to death! ....But I like it! :blaze:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

It worked for my high school best friend. On the off chance that it doesn't, I'd hand them MP. If neither works, I consider them a lost cause.

• Like 1

Pretty easy. Give them Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. If they like the poppier stuff on those albums, tell them to check out the stuff after that. if they like the proggier, tell them to check out the 70s stuff. If they don't like anything on those two albums they're not going to like Rush.

With that said: I also have a three-part playlist I made for a couple of friends around the time Neil died. I sequenced each volume in a way that flows well with a mix of popular songs and more obscure songs, and each one is the length of a CD if you're still doing that. All albums are represented except Feedback.

Here it is, if anyone wants to copy it:

VOLUME 1:

Limelight

Freewill

Ghost of a Chance

The Anarchist

How it Is

The Analog Kid

Red Sector A

Mission

Leave That Thing Alone

Middletown Dreams

Tom Sawyer

By-Tor and the Snow Dog

Xanadu

Vital Signs

VOLUME 2:

2112 (full)

Subdivisions

Manhattan Project

Ghost Rider

Circumstances

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

Red Barchetta

The Spirit of Radio

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

VOLUME 3:

One Little Victory

Time Stand Still

YYZ

Animate

Distant Early Warning

The Pass

Bastille Day

Driven

Vapor Trail

Marathon

Far Cry

Dreamline

Natural Science

Closer to the Heart

The Garden

• Like 2

Listen to Moving Pictures. If that doesn’t at least mildly interest him/her, then nevermind

IF they’re interested in more, I’d tell them about 2112’s importance and have visit that album second.

Third would probably be Permanent Waves.

In terms of evolution, I can think of 2112 as Rush’s discovery and wielding of fire, Permanent Waves as the development of spears, and Moving Pictures as the use of arrows and other projectile type weapons.

The debut simply has Neanderthal Rush clubbing things to death! ....But I like it! :blaze:

30615468-8510291-image-a-37_1594386664075.jpg

1. AFTK.

2. Moving Pictures

3. 2112

4. Permanent Waves

5. Fly By Night

6. If it still hasn't worked then a mercy killing is required

• Like 2

What if these 2 albums were one album?

Then it would be too long and ware out it's welcome. Honestly, it would sound odd as a double since the albums don't sound much like each other or have the same feel.

I didn`t get into Rush until the summer of 2018, so I think I can answer this quite accurately.

The first song that really stayed in my head was Limelight, followed by The Trees. Red Barchetta, and The Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer... then everything else fell into place. They are the most accessible songs - not necessarily the songs I love most now, but they got me hooked.

As for the records after 1985, you`d keep them away from any introduction mixtape, right?

• Like 1

I didn`t get into Rush until the summer of 2018, so I think I can answer this quite accurately.

The first song that really stayed in my head was Limelight, followed by The Trees. Red Barchetta, and The Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer... then everything else fell into place. They are the most accessible songs - not necessarily the songs I love most now, but they got me hooked.

And that was more or less what happened with me except that it happened in ‘81 at the age of 9.

Elder bros’ Rush interest / influence + the dawn of MTV and their abundant Rush video airtime. Back then you could count on one of these videos being shown at least once every 2-3 hours: Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Limelight, or Vital Signs

• Like 1

Depends on the newb.

If delicate constitution, simple pop listener, or female: Hold Your Fire

If basic young male who kinda likes rock: Moving Pictures

If totally obsessive political hyperopinionated type: 2112

If metalhead and/or deaf: Vapor Trails

If 70 years old: Rush

A newbie needs nothing more. Fly By Night is a bad choice to start with because it's still a band trying to figure out their identity.

I suspect exit stage left converted more people than any other release back in the day.

Yep, sure worked for me!
  • Like 1

What if these 2 albums were one album?

It would be easily the greatest double album of all time. Ever heard of Chicago II? Physical Graffiti? Tommy?? Child's play.

Depends on the newb.

If delicate constitution, simple pop listener, or female: Hold Your Fire

If basic young male who kinda likes rock: Moving Pictures

If totally obsessive political hyperopinionated type: 2112

If metalhead and/or deaf: Vapor Trails

If 70 years old: Rush

I don't see what gender has to do with anything. My best friend in high school was a girl and I got her hooked with 2112.

• Like 2