The TRF/RS HOA survey...

laughedatbytime

HOAs  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following options comes closest to your opinion of HOAs?

• They unnecessarily restrict personal liberty by creating onerous rules about what you can do with your property
    • They play a necessary role in enforcing rules that uphold community aesthetic standards and maintain/enhance property values

Having voted in the "anti" camp, let me add for the record that people should avoid being scumbags and keep their houses looking nice. It doesn't take much time or money if the homeowner stays on top of it. But having neighborhood jobsworths tell them what to do seems a step too far.

I think the 'toilet paper...mount it over or under' poll is much more important than this.

now for the question at hand. obviously the purpose of hoa's is so that conformists and Karens can live in the same neighborhood. Otherwise, they might infiltrate the rest of more open mind communities. So I'm all for giving them their Beige Blandville Springs subdivision so they stay out of mine.

I say that as someone in the other section of our neighborhood is going full Karen and reporting people to the township so they can issue nuisance tickets to the offenders. We have no problem firing off an arsenal of fireworks during the holidays without retribution, but there will be hell to pay if someone parks their rented RV in the street or their kids ride golf carts. I live in an ex-horse farm subdivision where there are usually more people walking in the streets than cars.

People, let's try to stop being petty selfish dicks and just respect your neighbors k? It's a simple concept.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

I think of them more when a community needs a service? My sister lives in a community south of Denver where their HOA planned and put in a neighborhood pool. I can see it being useful for something like that. But yeah, in general, I'm with Hemibeers, don't be selfish and maybe you don't need the HOA that much.

I guess they remind me a bit too much of actual laws when we lived in a suburb of Cleveland that shared a border with a low income high crime neighborhood. Our suburb had actual laws that you couldn't park a car on the street overnight , couldn't paint your house certain colors, etc. etc. The homeowners were scared to death that the problems of the neighborhood next door would hit them next. (IMO they didn't have to worry that much. The property taxes in the lawful suburb were high enough that not many of the low income folks could move there.)

Our house and neighborhood are old enough and plain enough that we don't have an HOA, we have deed restrictions. There are only 2- all utilities must be wired underground (did that in the 60's and it does look nice) AND no RVs parked in the street. Pennsylvanians love their campers! :LOL:

The next neighborhood down is newer and they also have no RV's, no fences higher than 4 feet and no outdoor clothes lines. The fence thing was a neighborhood line of site thing. I like the way it looks because when we lived in Colorado, everyone fenced their yard with high fences and it felt like a stockade sometimes.

The no outdoor clothes line thing must have observed me laughing when we had a cookout once and our close neighbor had hung all her husband's underwear out to dry on their line. :LOL: No one cared and she was a great neighbor so I wasn't going to say anything. We moved to the other side of town and I miss our talks.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

I would say that both can be true at the same time. Tonight my friends and I were just talking about people that spend hundreds of thousands on a house, then blendly sign stacks of documents, including CCRs, only to bitch about their contents. I served on an HOA board and had the thankless task of enforcing rules that we all voluntarily signed up for. My feelings are, you if don't like rules, don't live in an HOA.

I no longer do.

• Like 5

The easy answer is don't live somewhere that they have an HOA. Besides, most of the buildings are some shade of beige anyway. f**k that. Where my sister used to live, you couldn't have vehicles parked on the street overnight. If you had guests and there wasn't room in the driveway, you had to park outside of their gated area and walk back in. Again, f**k that.
  • Like 3

The easy answer is don't live somewhere that they have an HOA. Besides, most of the buildings are some shade of beige anyway. f**k that. Where my sister used to live, you couldn't have vehicles parked on the street overnight. If you had guests and there wasn't room in the driveway, you had to park outside of their gated area and walk back in. Again, f**k that.

The other side of that coin is cars up on blocks in the front yard, nowhere for guests to park because your street is a used car lot, your neighbor running a chop shop, a pitbull kennel next door, staring at the bright purple home across the street... Edited by goose
  • Like 1

The other side of that coin is cars up on blocks in the front yard, nowhere for guests to park because your street is a used car lot, your neighbor running a chop shop, a pitbull kennel next door, staring at the bright purple home across the street...

What's the matter? You don't like the color purple?

• Like 3

The other side of that coin is cars up on blocks in the front yard, nowhere for guests to park because your street is a used car lot, your neighbor running a chop shop, a pitbull kennel next door, staring at the bright purple home across the street...

I wouldn't care about a purple house but the other stuff could be an issue in some neighborhoods. In many places, the areas with HOAs are too expensive for the types of people who'd have a car on blocks, etc.

• Like 2

Had to look up what the hell an HOA was!! ... ahh an American thing .... not sure if there are equivalents in the UK (anyone?) .... but

thought i'd put my tuppence worth in anyway ....

One one hand ... theoretically it seems like a good way to have everyone working for the greater good of the community (bit like N. Korea lol!)

On the other ..... it seems like it allows some 'know it all' tw*t to tell you how to run your affairs (bit like that fat dude Kim Jong whatshisname)

So...... i voted not to live in N. Korea.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 5

I would say that both can be true at the same time. Tonight my friends and I were just talking about people that spend hundreds of thousands on a house, then blendly sign stacks of documents, including CCRs, only to bitch about their contents. I served on an HOA board and had the thankless task of enforcing rules that we all voluntarily signed up for. My feelings are, you if don't like rules, don't live in an HOA.

I no longer do.

When weighing the risk of having a neighbor "trashing the neighborhood" against that of HOA officers becoming petty little dictators, I would rather deal with the trashy neighbor. As my signature states, "Power attracts the corruptible"....

• Like 3

What's the matter? You don't like the color purple?

Staring at a purple house all day would be unpleasant for me in most cases. A lavender victorian wouldn't bother me.

I no longer do.

When weighing the risk of having a neighbor "trashing the neighborhood" against that of HOA officers becoming petty little dictators, I would rather deal with the trashy neighbor.

When we ended up with both problems simultaneously, I was done with HOAs.
  • Like 1

I no longer do.

you get it.

its your own fault if you get involved in one. hoas can go both ways. good to bad. in particular a HOA can be good if its a second home that is miles away from your primary residence.

heres the real deal though. never get involved in an HOA where the developer controls it. its a red flag for lenders and they essentially have you by the balls in terms of assesements etc etc.

I'm pleased to see that so many people voted that, in effect, you mind your own business about what someone else does. There are entirely too many people out there that they think know what's best for others, or think that something that annoys them for a short period time, justifies a call to stop it. It's a big world out there. Sometimes you're going to bump up against things or practices you don't like. Let it go.
  • Like 2

I'm pleased to see that so many people voted that, in effect, you mind your own business about what someone else does. There are entirely too many people out there that they think know what's best for others, or think that something that annoys them for a short period time, justifies a call to stop it. It's a big world out there. Sometimes you're going to bump up against things or practices you don't like. Let it go.

You know, up until about a week ago, I would have agreed with you. But then, the neighborhood Karen and Chad a couple of houses down decided they just HAD to blow off a couple of firecrackers (in clear contradiction to the association's covenant, which caused our dog to shit herself and tremble for hours.) She's a small dog, so I can't exactly sic her on them, but to date our so called HOA leadership has done nothing (they're conveniently out of town, and a lot of our neighbors leave the house without masks, so you can guess how helpful THEY'D be...)

You know, up until about a week ago, I would have agreed with you. But then, the neighborhood Karen and Chad a couple of houses down decided they just HAD to blow off a couple of firecrackers (in clear contradiction to the association's covenant, which caused our dog to shit herself and tremble for hours.) She's a small dog, so I can't exactly sic her on them, but to date our so called HOA leadership has done nothing (they're conveniently out of town, and a lot of our neighbors leave the house without masks, so you can guess how helpful THEY'D be...)

Sorry, man. That’s a bummer.

• Like 1

The entitlement of these Karens and Chads is off the chart. It's not the best time for this, I know, but we may have to put our house up for sale.

• Like 1

The entitlement of these Karens and Chads is off the chart. It's not the best time for this, I know, but we may have to put our house up for sale.

That's a good idea, and I think it would sell fast.

Let me know if you are going to do it. I will do a novena for you.

• Like 1