25 years ago today was the final Grateful Dead show

apetersvt

Chicago Soldier Field

7/9/95

Jerry would die one month later.

Hard to believe that it's been 25 years since the last show and the last note of Box Of Rain.

Almost equally hard to believe that Phil, Bobby, Mickey, and Billy still perform live (or would be if no COVID).

Had mail orders in for Fall Tour '95 (3 Philly shows and 2 MSG shows). My buddy still has the cancelled mail orders.

• Like 1

Chicago Soldier Field

7/9/95

Hard to believe that it's been 25 years since the last show and the last note of Box Of Rain.

Almost equally hard to believe that Phil, Bobby, Mickey, and Billy still perform live (or would be if no COVID).

Had mail orders in for Fall Tour '95 (3 Philly shows and 2 MSG shows). My buddy still has the cancelled mail orders.

Nice one! Sadly i never got to see them live. I just purchased the 50th anniversary edition of Workingman's Dead ... will give it a whirl over the weekend along with the bonus live show.

I don't think they were held in the same awe and wonder in the UK as they were in the US but i have spent some time trawling through many of the readily available live

concert bootlegs....... on form they were indeed music to the ears!

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

Chicago Soldier Field

7/9/95

Nice one! Sadly i never got to see them live. I just purchased the 50th anniversary edition of Workingman's Dead ... will give it a whirl over the weekend along with the bonus live show.

I don't think they were held in the same awe and wonder in the UK as they were in the US but i have spent some time trawling through many of the readily available live

Did get to see the Dead 4 times.

Wasn't really much of a fan while I was in high school. My older brother was into the Dead and played them over and over and over, so it kind of turned me off. I listened to a LOT of Rush, followed by more Rush, a bunch of Zeppelin, some Yes, some Floyd, and more Rush. In my later college years, I started smoking weed and then I got into the Allmans and the Dead. Plus it helped that there was a Dead cover band that played every Wednesday in my college town where there were a lot of chicks that liked the same music I did.

So I saw a few Dead shows but never had the time/money to 'tour' like some did. So, when I got a job after college (graduated in '94), I planned my first week of vacation for the fall tour of '95, which never happened.

Like many other Deadheads, I had hundreds of tapes and then hundreds of CDs. So nice that all of the shows are readily available as you mentioned. I love most everything before '79 and rarely listen to anything after (other than when I.m in the car listening to the Grateful Dead channel on Sirius/XM)

• Like 2

Chicago Soldier Field

7/9/95

Did get to see the Dead 4 times.

Wasn't really much of a fan while I was in high school. My older brother was into the Dead and played them over and over and over, so it kind of turned me off. I listened to a LOT of Rush, followed by more Rush, a bunch of Zeppelin, some Yes, some Floyd, and more Rush. In my later college years, I started smoking weed and then I got into the Allmans and the Dead. Plus it helped that there was a Dead cover band that played every Wednesday in my college town where there were a lot of chicks that liked the same music I did.

So I saw a few Dead shows but never had the time/money to 'tour' like some did. So, when I got a job after college (graduated in '94), I planned my first week of vacation for the fall tour of '95, which never happened.

Like many other Deadheads, I had hundreds of tapes and then hundreds of CDs. So nice that all of the shows are readily available as you mentioned. I love most everything before '79 and rarely listen to anything after (other than when I.m in the car listening to the Grateful Dead channel on Sirius/XM)

Yeah ... i tend to favour the '70's stuff also ..... I have all the shows from the Europe tour of 1972 .... some great stuff. So hopefully this new bonus stuff will be good ... concert from Port Chester NY 1971 ...... I will listen to it tomorrow along with my usual Saturday beers!

the dead are hit or miss for me. some downright amazing jazz/psychedelic stuff but I have never been able to get into the more americana/jug band type stuff like on american beauty and workingman's
  • Like 2

I gotta say, anyone who thinks they "hate" the dead because of their zonked out fanbase probably would be surprised by a record like blues for allah or anthem of the sun. I'm not a deadhead at all but they were some serious musicians
  • Like 2

i gave up the dead in 1989 in terms of live shows. saw them 12+ times starting at age 15. yikes.

duke, hampton, saratoga, buffalo, etc

their doc on amazon is amazing. pretty much like all the periods. more of a jerry fan than bobby.............

arguably the greatest american band ever imo

• Like 1

the dead are hit or miss for me. some downright amazing jazz/psychedelic stuff but I have never been able to get into the more americana/jug band type stuff like on american beauty and workingman's

more country than jug band. even jerry wasnt tripping hard enough to play the jug. that i am aware of.

jerrys side project- old and in the way is great if you like bluegrass

• Like 1

I first saw the Dead in 1974 on the Wall of Sound tour. I was never a Dead Head but only a casual fan and still see Dead&Co when possible.

Anyway, the Wall of Sound tour...

50098126943_3d14dc3810_c.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

I first saw the Dead in 1974 on the Wall of Sound tour. I was never a Dead Head but only a casual fan and still see Dead&Co when possible.

thats exceptionally cool.

can you recall if the sound was vastly superior? I know its hard to recall dead show specifics. i wonder why? :smoke:

• Like 1

thats exceptionally cool.

can you recall if the sound was vastly superior? I know its hard to recall dead show specifics. i wonder why? :smoke:

I don't recall. ha

• Like 1