Strange Rush CD

RushRevisited

I was going through my old CD box for my son and came across a weird Rush CD from the Power Windows era (actually it is apparently a "CD Video" as well as a CD). I posted about this about 15 years ago and no one seemed to have any info, so thought I would see if anyone has any info on this CD as well as share with you all...

It is labeled as a "CD Video", titled "The Big Money". It has 3 audio tracks (The Big Money, Red Sector A, and Marathon) and 1 video "The Big Money". I have never been able to play the video on any unit, from back in 198something when I bought it (came across it at a Tape/CD store) to now even in days of computers and codecs for video players. If inserted into a computer it only shows the audio tracks. I have tried flipping the disc over and it won't read...

Producer shows "Alan Weinrib", Geddy's brother. Producer shows "Rob Quartley" - Which, if it is the music producer Rob Quartly, it is spelled wrong on the CD (there is no "e" in Rob Quartly's name).

Any ideas on this?

IMG-3999.jpg

IMG-4002.jpg

IMG-4003.jpg

IMG-4001.jpg

• Like 1

never seen this... maybe a bootleg cd? (but the songs aren't bootlegs)

I don't think a bootleg. First of all, I bought in a major record store (Camelot, if anyone remembers them) and second of all, no one but the music industry had the ability to cut and produce a CD like this. This was around 1988 or so...

never seen this... maybe a bootleg cd? (but the songs aren't bootlegs)

I don't think a bootleg. First of all, I bought in a major record store (Camelot, if anyone remembers them) and second of all, no one but the music industry had the ability to cut and produce a CD like this. This was around 1988 or so...

huh. well as I said I never seen this before so... :huh:

Wow! A relic from the Digital Age! Very cool.

The only thing I can think of is that even though it says NTSC that maybe it's a different format. Do you have an all region DVD player?

Hey, wait a second! DVD's weren't even invented yet! What the hell is this thing?! :o :wacko:

Edited by skullchrist

Wow! A relic from the Digital Age! Very cool.

The only thing I can think of is that even though it says NTSC that maybe it's a different format. Do you have an all region DVD player?

Hey, wait a second! DVD's weren't even invented yet! What the hell is this thing?! :o :wacko:

Nope, DVDs weren't around yet. When I bought it I thought laser disc, as that was the newer thing in the 80s, yet it wouldn't fit or play on my friends laser disc system (the size of laser discs were more the size of LPs).

The disk says it's made in the UK. Maybe you need to insert it into the left side of the computer. ;)
  • Like 5

And here's some likely useless info about CD Video:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Video

CD Video was targeted toward teenagers who watched music videos on MTV. However, few of them were familiar with LaserDiscs, and far fewer owned CDV-compatible players at the time. Buying a costly new player was not an option just for the minor use of playing a single music video more easily accessible through a VHS videocassette, either purchased pre-recorded or recorded off a television programme with a VCR.

An early digital video format targeted toward a demographic known for having limited discretionary income, and who likely had no means of playing the disc if they bought it. Weird that CDV didn't catch on...

• Like 1

It seems like a CD single for big money or perhaps a promo disc for disc jockeys? really no clue

what really is weird is that the live version of red sector a is produced by terry brown. how can that be? the date for that song is 1983?

CD Video was targeted toward teenagers who watched music videos on MTV. However, few of them were familiar with LaserDiscs, and far fewer owned CDV-compatible players at the time. Buying a costly new player was not an option just for the minor use of playing a single music video more easily accessible through a VHS videocassette, either purchased pre-recorded or recorded off a television programme with a VCR.

An early digital video format targeted toward a demographic known for having limited discretionary income, and who likely had no means of playing the disc if they bought it. Weird that CDV didn't catch on...

What is weird, however is that it won't play on an laser disc player (at least it wouldn't in the 80s on my friends). Maybe a special player was made back then just for CDVs?

From

Wiki:

Release dates and formats Edit

The Betamax and VHS videocassettes were the original formats of release, in 1986, under the title Grace Under Pressure Tour.[1] The Laserdisc was released in 1988.[2] In addition to the "Grace Under Pressure" concert, the original releases also included a full-length music video for "The Big Money," a truncated version of which was released to outlets like MTV and on the short-lived CD Video format. This version of Grace Under Pressure Tour is currently out-of-print in all three formats.

Talk about confusing the consumer:

A Big Money promo disk with a video that won’t function for most people, released after Hold Your Fire, the same year as ASOH, with a live version of a song from Grace Under Pressure, from 2

previous tours prior.

Makes perfect sense!

• Like 2

My understanding is that cd-video is a hybrid of standard cd and laserdisc .... so in a conventional cd player you should hear the audio stuff but would need a

laserdisc player to get the video track.

Edited by zepphead

Oh .... the laserdisc player needs to be capable of handling CDV format which wasn't necessarily the case back then.

I looked into this a bit more - seems that back in the 80's there were next to no lasrerdisc players capable of playing cdv format. Pioneer were pretty much the only ones

and only models post 1987.... needless to say this cdv format died out by 1992.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

What is weird, however is that it won't play on an laser disc player (at least it wouldn't in the 80s on my friends). Maybe a special player was made back then just for CDVs?

Yep. CDV is different from 8" LaserDisc.
  • Like 1

Oh .... the laserdisc player needs to be capable of handling CDV format which wasn't necessarily the case back then.

Kind of like VHS vs Betamax
  • Like 1

Kind of like VHS vs Betamax

Also, does anyone still use VHS tapes? Besides me?
  • Like 1

I looked into this a bit more - seems that back in the 80's there were next to no lasrerdisc players capable of playing cdv format. Pioneer were pretty much the only ones

and only models post 1987.... needless to say this cdv format died out by 1992.

This makes sense then as to why it wouldn't play on a laser disc player back then.

• Like 1

Just a weird CD/CDV all together

Talk about confusing the consumer:

A Big Money promo disk with a video that won’t function for most people, released after Hold Your Fire, the same year as ASOH, with a live version of a song from Grace Under Pressure, from 2

previous tours prior.

Makes perfect sense!

Just a weird CD/CDV across the board. The misspelling of Rob Quartly's name is odd on top of everything else. Unless it is a different Rob Quartly spelled Quartley but I doubt that.

• Like 1

RR, Rob Quartly is a Canadian music video, television and commercial director, and also produced music videos for several artists including Kim Mitchell, Helix and Boys Brigade.

RR, Rob Quartly is a Canadian music video, television and commercial director, and also produced music videos for several artists including Kim Mitchell, Helix and Boys Brigade.

Yes, I know who he is. I am saying his name is spelled wrong on this CDV. There is no "e" in his last name.

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Rob_Quartly

https://imvdb.com/n/rob-quartly

https://www.producti...ob-quartly.html

• Like 1