Jump to content


What happened to De Niro?

to hell with goodhell

  • Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 94008 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 04 July 2020 - 09:46 PM

Since about 1998 De Niro's career and reputation has been on a slow downward spiral. It's not just the crap comedies, the straight to video dreck, the hackneyed thrillers, the phoned-in performances, it's the overall feeling that he's completely sold out. Here's the latest thing. Can you imagine the De Niro of the 70's and 80's doing a thing like this? It's not like he needs the money, why do it?



Sponsored Post

#2 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 34499 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:16 PM

He did have an important role in Joker at least. That’s got to be the best movie he’s been in in at least 20 years.

#3 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 94008 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:32 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 04 July 2020 - 10:16 PM, said:

He did have an important role in Joker at least. That’s got to be the best movie he’s been in in at least 20 years.
Is it a big part?

He's worth $500 million, and yet he's doing cringeworthy shit like that car ad...

#4 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 34499 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:39 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 04 July 2020 - 10:32 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 04 July 2020 - 10:16 PM, said:

He did have an important role in Joker at least. That’s got to be the best movie he’s been in in at least 20 years.
Is it a big part?

He's worth $500 million, and yet he's doing cringeworthy shit like that car ad...

He's in multiple scenes and he's totally necessary for the movie. So yeah, I can say he has a big part in that sense. He does well in it.

#5 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 94008 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:45 PM

I don't remember Jack Nicholson's career hitting the skids like De Niro and he's worth around the same amount and he did the smart thing and retired in 2013. Nowadays his career is looking a lot more impressive than De Niro's.

#6 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 94008 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:45 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 04 July 2020 - 10:39 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 04 July 2020 - 10:32 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 04 July 2020 - 10:16 PM, said:

He did have an important role in Joker at least. That’s got to be the best movie he’s been in in at least 20 years.
Is it a big part?

He's worth $500 million, and yet he's doing cringeworthy shit like that car ad...

He's in multiple scenes and he's totally necessary for the movie. So yeah, I can say he has a big part in that sense. He does well in it.
What part is it?

#7 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 10434 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:51 PM

Yeah, he's done pretty much anything that will pay him.  Maybe the six kids are expensive?  Or he had to pay a big divorce settlement?  It's kind of depressing to see, though.

#8 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 13887 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:56 PM

He got to the point where he had nothing to prove anymore and just stopped caring. But still does it because they pay him a ton to play the goofy old man.

Joe Pesci was the smart one. He retired from full time acting years ago. He did what he wanted to do, got his money and got out.

#9 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 94008 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:04 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 04 July 2020 - 10:56 PM, said:

He got to the point where he had nothing to prove anymore and just stopped caring. But still does it because they pay him a ton to play the goofy old man.

Joe Pesci was the smart one. He retired from full time acting years ago. He did what he wanted to do, got his money and got out.


#10 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 24396 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:12 PM

I could say the same for Johnny Depp post POTC.  DeNiro has done some indies as well instead of just paycheck but even some of them aren’t good.  The Comedian was a new low for him.

Hell, Stallone was less worse than him in the awful one joke premise (ROCKY AND LAMOTTA! HAHAHA!) that was Grudge Match ffs.  At least Sly put in SOME effort.  DeNiro was just mugging it for the check.  Sick with Copland for a good movie with both of them.

#11 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 34499 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:14 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 04 July 2020 - 10:45 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 04 July 2020 - 10:39 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 04 July 2020 - 10:32 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 04 July 2020 - 10:16 PM, said:

He did have an important role in Joker at least. That’s got to be the best movie he’s been in in at least 20 years.
Is it a big part?

He's worth $500 million, and yet he's doing cringeworthy shit like that car ad...

He's in multiple scenes and he's totally necessary for the movie. So yeah, I can say he has a big part in that sense. He does well in it.
What part is it?

He’s a talk show host

#12 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 13887 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:15 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 04 July 2020 - 11:04 PM, said:

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 04 July 2020 - 10:56 PM, said:

He got to the point where he had nothing to prove anymore and just stopped caring. But still does it because they pay him a ton to play the goofy old man.

Joe Pesci was the smart one. He retired from full time acting years ago. He did what he wanted to do, got his money and got out.


It's been a while since I've seen that movie. I will have to revisit it soon.

#13 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 34499 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:26 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 04 July 2020 - 10:45 PM, said:

I don't remember Jack Nicholson's career hitting the skids like De Niro and he's worth around the same amount and he did the smart thing and retired in 2013. Nowadays his career is looking a lot more impressive than De Niro's.

I give Bobby a 22-2 movie record...though I skipped all of those 21st century terrible looking flicks. It started to go to shit around Analyze This or that Meet the Parents/Fockers fluff with Stiller around 20 years ago. I think Ronin in the late 90s was the last of his string of good/decent movies he had.

Jack I have at a 13-2 record but there was nothing I intentionally skipped.

#14 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 94008 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:40 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 04 July 2020 - 11:26 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 04 July 2020 - 10:45 PM, said:

I don't remember Jack Nicholson's career hitting the skids like De Niro and he's worth around the same amount and he did the smart thing and retired in 2013. Nowadays his career is looking a lot more impressive than De Niro's.

I give Bobby a 22-2 movie record...though I skipped all of those 21st century terrible looking flicks. It started to go to shit around Analyze This or that Meet the Parents/Fockers fluff with Stiller around 20 years ago. I think Ronin in the late 90s was the last of his string of good/decent movies he had.

Jack I have at a 13-2 record but there was nothing I intentionally skipped.
Yeah it was when he did those shitty comedies the Fokkers and Analyze This etc. After that he went straight downhill.

#15 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3064 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United States
  • Interests:Music, movies and vehicles

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:50 PM

:huh:

#16 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 34499 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:54 AM

View Posttreeduck, on 04 July 2020 - 09:46 PM, said:

Since about 1998 De Niro's career and reputation has been on a slow downward spiral. It's not just the crap comedies, the straight to video dreck, the hackneyed thrillers, the phoned-in performances, it's the overall feeling that he's completely sold out. Here's the latest thing. Can you imagine the De Niro of the 70's and 80's doing a thing like this? It's not like he needs the money, why do it?



Maybe he just likes the screen time no matter how shitty it is?

#17 Tinwoodsman

Tinwoodsman

    By-Tor on the Bayou

  • Members
  • 24762 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Marvin Gardens
  • Interests:Enjoying every day that ends in Y.

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:58 AM

most of us have to work until we die


the more we make the more we pay unless we ...  can't/won't say it

#18 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1084 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:03 AM

He surprises me from time to time. He’s usually pretty good when he plays a parent, or grand parent. Silver Linings Playbook comes to mind.

He’s done a lot of bad stuff in the last 2 decades - that’s for sure.

#19 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2591 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:22 AM

It was Michael Caine who advised actors to take every role they were offered because they never know when the offers will just stop coming. Lots of people do odd stuff to keep themselves amused in their later years; maintaining the kind of intensity he had for roles like Raging Bull was never gonna last. Hell, Ritchie Blackmore is touring renaissance faires or some such, isn't he? If DeNiro wants to turn out dreck, he's earned the cred. I'll just go back and watch "Midnight Run" again.

#20 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 34499 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:41 AM

View PostNova Carmina, on 05 July 2020 - 07:22 AM, said:

If DeNiro wants to turn out dreck, he's earned the cred.

Using that thought, would you have been okay if Rush ended up playing nursery rhymes on kiddie instruments and out of tune ukeleles?

:P





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: to hell with goodhell

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


    Bing (1)