Redskins Name Change

HemiBeers

Redskins announcing that they are seriously considering a name change. Long overdue. The obvious choice for me is the Washington Warriors. Has a nice ring and the same name as Golden State, which no one has a problem with. Keep the same color scheme and just change the logo, maybe to something like a gladiator. Easy peasy. They made this into a worse problem by being stubborn about it. If anything a logo or name change is a new way to sell fresh merch.

Now the Cleveland Indians are going down this route as well. Indians, or Braves, is not as controversial as something referring to skin color. And since it's Cleveland, I can't think of something that would describe that team in a positive light.

• Like 5

Redskins announcing that they are seriously considering a name change. Long overdue. The obvious choice for me is the Washington Warriors. Has a nice ring and the same name as Golden State, which no one has a problem with. Keep the same color scheme and just change the logo, maybe to something like a gladiator. Easy peasy. They made this into a worse problem by being stubborn about it. If anything a logo or name change is a new way to sell fresh merch.

Now the Cleveland Indians are going down this route as well. Indians, or Braves, is not as controversial as something referring to skin color. And since it's Cleveland, I can't think of something that would describe that team in a positive light.

I'd go for Cleveland Spiders. There was a major league team of note by that name toward the end of the 19th century.

• Like 3

the cleveland lakers!

makes a hell of lot more sense than the LA lakers ?

for years i have called the redskins ,the foreskins.

How do you distinguish them from the team from Dallas then?

• Like 3

the cleveland lakers!

Lol! another team that deserves that title!

• Like 1

the cleveland lakers!

Boo!

• Like 1

the cleveland lakers! i got nothing. whats next will the buffalo bills change because he was a dick?

Not a name change but there's some talk about the fleur de lis in the Saints logo, with its connection to the brutal history of slavery.

Washington should definitely change their name; Warriors would work and be alliterative.

The Indians got rid of that Wahoo crappo, so I don't know if "Indians" or "Braves" needs to go -- and if we're stepping on that slippery slope, then the Chiefs and Blackhawks would probably be next. It would be nice if the fans stopped doing that asinine "tomahawk chop," though.

Buffalo should go back to being the Bison. Maybe. That's sort of redundant, innit? Or is it a contradiction, since they're different animals? I never liked the "Phoenix Cardinals," so I'm glad they switched to Arizona. Okay, I'm rambling.

• Like 1

the cleveland lakers! i got nothing. whats next will the buffalo bills change because he was a dick?

Not a name change but there's some talk about the fleur de lis in the Saints logo, with its connection to the brutal history of slavery.

It has an older connection to the monarchy of France! Let's have some rationale with our purging, is all I ask.

• Like 2

Washington should definitely change their name; Warriors would work and be alliterative.

The Indians got rid of that Wahoo crappo, so I don't know if "Indians" or "Braves" needs to go -- and if we're stepping on that slippery slope, then the Chiefs and Blackhawks would probably be next. It would be nice if the fans stopped doing that asinine "tomahawk chop," though.

Buffalo should go back to being the Bison. Maybe. That's sort of redundant, innit? Or is it a contradiction, since they're different animals? I never liked the "Phoenix Cardinals," so I'm glad they switched to Arizona. Okay, I'm rambling.

I don't know if Warriors would satisfy the critics. Marquette was known as the Warriors and rhey had to change to Golden Eagles.

The irony of the Indians name change is that it was originally chosen to honor an early star, Louis Sockalexis. If they wanted to preserve the honoring of former players the could go back to an early name that did just that, the Naps, after either Nap Lajoie, or to honor Manny Ramirez' outfield play.

• Like 1

I don't know if Warriors would satisfy the critics. Marquette was known as the Warriors and rhey had to change to Golden Eagles.

The irony of the Indians name change is that it was originally chosen to honor an early star, Louis Sockalexis. If they wanted to preserve the honoring of former players the could go back to an early name that did just that, the Naps, after either Nap Lajoie, or to honor Manny Ramirez' outfield play.

I think Warriors would be perfect as long as the logo is changed to not reflect anything native american. Like I said, no one is bitching about the Golden State Warriors and they're in the most politically correct part of the US. Indians, Braves...those are more innocuous terms and don't refer to skin color.

The irony of the redskins name is that I don't see anyone boycotting the produce department for selling redskin potatoes. Maybe Snyder will be a dick and just change the logo to redskin potatoes. If it's a person...we get upset. If it's an object...ehhhh not so much. The difference this time is that the team sponsors are on the warpath. Ooops! Indian reference...my bad. If someone sells tickets at a profit, are we not allowed to call them scalpers?

the cleveland lakers!

by size perhaps?

It has an older connection to the monarchy of France! Let's have some rationale with our purging, is all I ask.

There is a considerable amount of documentation showing Native Americans referring to themselves as redskins in 1769

Oklahoma is a Choctaw Indian word that means Red People.

From Dictionary.com:

The date and origin of this term is in dispute. Evidence seems to show that in the 1760s, French colonists in the Mississippi Valley translated a Native American spoken term into the French language as peau rouge , which was then translated into English as redskin. Through the early part of the 19th century, American Indians continued to use their native word self-referentially, and it was translated into spoken and written English as redskin with no derogatory connotations, even as a term of respect. However, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, within the historical context of white-Indian hostilities, use of the term redskin was associated with attitudes of contempt and condescension. By the 1960s, redskin had declined in use; because of heightened cultural sensitivities, it was perceived as offensive. Yet use of the term survives in the names of some sports teams.

So basically since the 1960's, the term has not been used in the pejorative sense. It exists only as the nickname of a number of teams. The Washington Redskins being the most notable. But there are a surprising number of Native American majority high schools that also use the name.

When George Preston Marshall renamed the team from the Boston Braves to the Boston Redskins, he did so to differentiate it from the other Boston Braves, the baseball team. The team also had a Native American coach, and several Native American players at the time. And the current Native American logo was designed by, you guessed it, a Native American.

We have a parallel discussion about this going on in SOCN, and I'll keep my political views safely over there.

I'll just end here with what Dan Snyder said when asked what a Redskin is. He said, "A Redskin is a football player."

I read somewhere that Daniel Snyder secured the name Washington Warriors a few years back.

He could pull off a PR move by changing the name to the Washington Warriors while keeping the same logo.

He could make a sizable (multi-million) donation to Native American causes and come off like a hero.

I've been a Washington Redskins fan ever since I was a little kid of 8 years old waaaay back in 1971.

I've kind of lost interest in the game over the years with game being slowed down so much and the ever changing rosters.

At this point, it is difficult to support the current name knowing what I know about the term "redskin".

I'm not normally all that concerned with politics, the ever changing politic correctness, etc.

All of this being said, it is time for the name change.

Of course, if they change the name, logo, colours, etc. it gives me free will to change teams.

Until then, man-law says you pick a team when your a kid and you stick with them.

• Like 2

I read somewhere that Daniel Snyder secured the name Washington Warriors a few years back.

He could pull off a PR move by changing the name to the Washington Warriors while keeping the same logo.

He could make a sizable (multi-million) donation to Native American causes and come off like a hero.

I've been a Washington Redskins fan ever since I was a little kid of 8 years old waaaay back in 1971.

I've kind of lost interest in the game over the years with game being slowed down so much and the ever changing rosters.

At this point, it is difficult to support the current name knowing what I know about the term "redskin".

I'm not normally all that concerned with politics, the ever changing politic correctness, etc.

All of this being said, it is time for the name change.

Of course, if they change the name, logo, colours, etc. it gives me free will to change teams.

Until then, man-law says you pick a team when your a kid and you stick with them.

I've been a fan since 1st grade, so probably 1975. I still follow the team, though not like I did 15 years ago. It is tough when they are that bad. LABT knows what it's like.

I had heard the same thing about Snyder securing the name Warriors, and around the same time. Maybe it was you who had posted it here? I even heard the GS Warriors have said they are ok with Washington using the name. I also thought I heard GS might abandon that nickname anyway, probably for something less militaristic.

Where I disagree with you is the prospect of the Redskins maintaining their current logo. You hear a lot about changing the name because that is the big enchilada. But the folks who are spear heading this drive also want the logo gone. No Native American iconography or symbols. Some are even opposed to any reference to Native Americans. They are people, not mascots.

No more Braves, Chiefs, or Indians. No more Chief Waa-Hoo (though he's already gone.) No more tomahawks on the Braves jerseys. No more Arrow Head on the Chiefs helmets. Probably no more Arrow Head Stadium. That needs to be renamed, as well. The mascot for the Chicago Blackhawks has to go, too. But the name can stay.

Perhaps Washington can get away with becoming the Warriors, and having a featherless spear on their helmets.

• Like 1

Where I disagree with you is the prospect of the Redskins maintaining their current logo. You hear a lot about changing the name because that is the big enchilada. But the folks who are spear heading this drive also want the logo gone. No Native American iconography or symbols. Some are even opposed to any reference to Native Americans. They are people, not mascots.

I completely see your point.

I guess I was thinking with the name Warriors it would be more of a celebration of the spirit of the various nations.

Especially if there was a financial commitment to offer assistance where needed most.

Sound naive?

—————————

If they change name, logo, colours, etc., will you stick with them or change teams?

If so, what team would you choose?

• Like 1

I guess I was thinking with the name Warriors it would be more of a celebration of the spirit of the various nations.

Especially if there was a financial commitment to offer assistance where needed most.

Sound naive?

—————————

If they change name, logo, colours, etc., will you stick with them or change teams?

I still live in the area root for all DC teams. So unless they do something really awful/stupid with this, they will continue to be my team. Snyder may have to give up the name and logo, but I'd be shocked if he gave up the colors.

Most likely, they are not discussing whether to keep the name or logo, they are discussing what the new name will be and what the new logo will look like.

As you mentioned above, there have probably been contingency plans in place for years, with names, logos, marketing strategies, etc. just waiting for be deployed.

The biggest positive I can see coming from this is that the Sports media press will finally quite their incessant, infantile bitching about this. That is, after they publish a few days worth of how Snyder is still a terrible for person for doing the right thing for the wrong reason, and taking so long to do it (you know it's coming.)

It will be nice to have the football team just be about football without the PC SJW's providing a constant din.

• Like 1

Sound naive?

—————————

He roots for a team with a frigging turtle for a mascot, so...

• Like 2

Sound naive?

—————————

He roots for a team with a frigging turtle for a mascot, so...

It's a terrapin. So?

• Like 1

Sound naive?

—————————

He roots for a team with a frigging puny ass turtle for a mascot, so...

It's a terrapin. So?

Fixed in the quote string above

Sound naive?

—————————

It's a terrapin. So?

I know I plucked a nerve when I threw shade on your Dolphins. But you should be happy now. You have Tua. At least until his hip pops out again. Ouch!

Sound naive?

—————————

It's a terrapin. So?

I know I plucked a nerve when I threw shade on your Dolphins. But you should be happy now. You have Tua. At least until his hip pops out again. Ouch!

We'll see. I'd much rather have Tua than Haskins. At least you have a decent coach now.

• Like 1

Right before kickoff:

Oh Warrrriors! Come out and plaaaaay.....

qYGiKkL.jpg

• Like 2