Geddy Lee: 10 Favorite Bassists - Rolling Stone interview

RushFanForever

Check it out below.

Rush’s Geddy Lee: My 10 Favorite Bassists

The following stands out:

Chris Squire

The first time [Yes] came to Toronto, my friend Oscar and Alex [Lifeson] and myself, we lined up at Maple Leaf Gardens all night to get tickets, and we ended up with second-row seats. Yeah, I’ll never forget that. We drove out. I think it was that same week, they were also playing in Kitchener, Ontario, and we drove out there and saw them out there as well. They still are the only band I’ve lined up all night to see [laughs].

As I mentioned before on here, Yes officially released the Maple Leaf Gardens concert in Toronto, which can be heard

, as part of a box set titled YES: PROGENY – Live from Seventy-Two.

The Yes concert from the University of Waterloo in Kitchener is posted

. Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

Geddy's top-10 is a much better list than RS' top-50 bassists, which was linked to in that article. Geddy himself is ranked #24, which of course is incorrect, but we're talking about Rolling Stone here so it's not going to make sense. I wanted to see what 23 bassists they thought were better than Geddy, but I started at #50. Duff McKagan, who shouldn't be there at all, was at #49. Only seven spots above him at #42 was Tony Levin, who should never be that close to Duff on any best bassists list. I quit reading right there.
  • Like 2

Geddy's top-10 is a much better list than RS' top-50 bassists, which was linked to in that article. Geddy himself is ranked #24, which of course is incorrect, but we're talking about Rolling Stone here so it's not going to make sense. I wanted to see what 23 bassists they thought were better than Geddy, but I started at #50. Duff McKagan, who shouldn't be there at all, was at #49. Only seven spots above him at #42 was Tony Levin, who should never be that close to Duff on any best bassists list. I quit reading right there.

I stopped reading Rolling Stone a long time ago .... it just got me wound up ....... no impartiality .... you are either in their little clique, or else looked down on.
  • Like 1

Check it out below.

Rush’s Geddy Lee: My 10 Favorite Bassists

The following stands out:

Chris Squire

The first time [Yes] came to Toronto, my friend Oscar and Alex [Lifeson] and myself, we lined up at Maple Leaf Gardens all night to get tickets, and we ended up with second-row seats. Yeah, I’ll never forget that. We drove out. I think it was that same week, they were also playing in Kitchener, Ontario, and we drove out there and saw them out there as well. They still are the only band I’ve lined up all night to see [laughs].

As I mentioned before on here, Yes officially released the Maple Leaf Gardens concert in Toronto, which can be heard

, as part of a box set titled YES: PROGENY – Live from Seventy-Two.

The Yes concert from the University of Waterloo in Kitchener is posted

Way way back in the dark mists of time, when i took up the bass and had great dreams of rock stardom (none of which materialised!!) Chris Squire was a player i aspired to.

It's refreshing to see someone's personal list of favorites without any silly rankings.
  • Like 1

I always liked that bassist who plays with Bela Fleck ... Vic Wooten. He's a badass, maybe even better than Geddy.

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones are astonishingly good. I wonder what happened to them.

I always liked that bassist who plays with Bela Fleck ... Vic Wooten. He's a badass, maybe even better than Geddy.

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones are astonishingly good. I wonder what happened to them.

I think its safe to say victor is better than the gedster. ged is my fave bass player but i think victor is next level.

Bela Fleck and the flecktones are indeed great. every player is top notch. they are still around and a few years back, howard levy rejoined them. HL is a next level harmonica player, who left in the early 90s. they are still touring or were prior to covid

ive seen them 4ish times back in the day.

my fave records are flight of the cosmic hippo and ufo tofu

• Like 1