June 30th, 1970: Riverfront Stadium Ushers In A New Era

Principled Man

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/images/river14954.jpg

Memories make us rich. This Reds fan has a vast treasure trove of memories..... :haz:

• Like 3

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/images/river14954.jpg

Memories make us rich. This Reds fan has a vast treasure trove of memories..... :haz:

good for you bro.

lets make a thread about cincinatti chili in food forum!

Dixie Chili is somewhere on the other side of that pic!

I have a beautiful bright red Dixie Chili t-shirt and ball cap, but do I dare wear them out in public these days? :o :D

• Like 1

Saw a few games there in the early 80s when the Reds were not good.

I always thought it was interesting that they played an All-Star game there literally days after the place first opened. I also don't remember another MLB team that changed ballparks mid-season. That would never happen today.

My uncle attended games at Riverfront in the skyboxes frequently during the halcyon days of the Big Red Machine. Unfortunately, it was because he was VP of International Relations for a large bank so he spent most of his time entertaining clients rather than being wrapped up in the on field action.

1971: I was 9 years old, and I got to see my heroes up close and personal. 5th row behind the Reds' dugout. My first ever Reds game (that I can remember). I was in Heaven!!

Unfortunately, Rick Wise of the Phillies decided to make baseball history that day. Not only did he pitch a no-hitter, but he also hit two home runs - a feat that has never been duplicated.

When he got the last out, everyone was standing and applauding him....except me, of course. I was sitting and crying my eyes out..... :boohoo:

Man, that stadium looks so very of its historical moment, doesn't it? If you showed baseball fans that place without any context, they'd still guess when it opened within a year or two.
  • Like 1

Man, that stadium looks so very of its historical moment, doesn't it? If you showed baseball fans that place without any context, they'd still guess when it opened within a year or two.

No chance. Every new stadium since Camden Yards opened Has had some sort of retro aesthetic to it, and none of them are fully enclosed. There are no stadiums left anymore now that the Raiders are done where the football and baseball team shares the same park.

No chance. Every new stadium since Camden Yards opened Has had some sort of retro aesthetic to it, and none of them are fully enclosed. There are no stadiums left anymore now that the Raiders are done where the football and baseball team shares the same park.

I believe what he's saying is that it isn't difficult to guess when Riverfront opened from the picture in the OP. And it isn't, Three Rivers, Riverfront, and the Vet all opened within about a year of each other, around 1970-71. I'd do much better with these than the newer stadia you accurately described.

• Like 1

I believe what he's saying is that it isn't difficult to guess when Riverfront opened from the picture in the OP. And it isn't, Three Rivers, Riverfront, and the Vet all opened within about a year of each other, around 1970-71. I'd do much better with these than the newer stadia you accurately described.

Aahh. I missed the "when" in his last sentence.

I have 2 books written by the same man, Eric Enders. One details the 1st 100 World Series up to 2002, and the other gives the back story of every single major league ballpark ever built up until the newest Yankee stadium. They would be good books if his utter hatred for the Yankees didn't seep into his writing.

Edited by edhunter

Yeah, that's the ticket! And don't forget Busch Stadium, which opened in '66 or '67. That big donut look was the identikit archetype stadium of my youth.

Yeah, that's the ticket! And don't forget Busch Stadium, which opened in '66 or '67. That big donut look was the identikit archetype stadium of my youth.

I saw one game there when I was 12. The thing was so symmetrical we spent half an hour looking for our car in the parking garage after the game before my dad realized there was a completely identical one on the other side of the park.

• Like 1

I watched a few games there in the late 80s and early 90s when the Cubs were in town. Got to see Andre Dawson win a game with a top of the 9th or maybe 10th inning homerun the year he won MVP for the last place Cubs.
  • Like 1