Scratched CDs/DVDs: Anyone here to help?

_hi_water._

I've recently found out that some of my discs happened to be scratched. Scratches are only bad if they are going around the spiral of a disc, and look bad. I have a Rush cd with a spiral scratch, but it doesn't skip. However, I have a couple cds and a few dvds that have some bad scratches and do skip. Some look fixable, and some look too deep. I felt like there should be a possible way to fix these discs. I looked it up, and most of the suggestions were to use toothpaste. I tried every method possible online... it only weakened the scratches, but also created millions of other scratches (but those new scratches were very minor).

I wanted to ask if anyone here had these kind of issues or have a solution/good method to fix these discs.

If you have a good method to fix discs, please tell me. I would appreciate it a lot :)

P.S. I don't really want to get new copies unless I really have to

Edited by _hi_water._

Have you tried a CD scratch remover kit? I'm guessing they still sell those, right?

well those are too expensive... I might try that, but that's a last resort

I was gonna mention that I had a scratched CD I wanted to fix once when I was a kid, and I tried using toothpaste. It didn't help anything and was plum terrible for the disc. It seems you've already found out that method is anything but reliable...

I wish I had a good method for it, but as far as I know the best thing to do is start raiding Goodwill CD bins for a 2 dollar replacement copy that still plays.

You might try asking at the local library. Ours has a disc cleaner/scratch remover that they fix their discs with, and they also do it for the public for a small fee. I hope you find a way to save them!
  • Like 2

Have you tried a CD scratch remover kit? I'm guessing they still sell those, right?

I was looking online and there's ones for $20-$30. If that's too expensive then repairing scratched discs probably shouldn't be your to do list right now lol.

A few years back I had a couple of fave CD's which had gotten a few scratches and were skipping when played.

So I purchased a scratch repair kit (as i remember some special liquid and a fancy cloth) and it wasn't cheap.

Followed the instructions etc. but the CD's still skipped. But they sure were shiny!

I ended up just replacing the CD's

Here are the options for removing scratches on discs below.

The 5 Best CD Repair Kits of 2020

Where I reside, there's a pawnshop that has their own high-end disc repair machine, which I'm guessing is something like this here.

A customer pays $5.00 per disc for them to repair scratches on the disc itself.

They also sell used CD's, DVD's, Blu-Ray's and video games.

None of these discs are scratched because they probably use their machine to make them look new again.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

I actually tried one on a DVD once - never even had an effect on it.