Your Absolute Least Favorite Rush Song Is...

_hi_water._

19 members have voted

1. 1. What's your least favorite Rush song? (No Feedback)

• "Need Some Love" - Rush
    • "In The Mood" - Rush
    • "Rivendell" - Fly By Night
    • "I Think I'm Going Bald" - Caress Of Steel
    • "Tears" - 2112
    • "Madrigal" - A Farewell To Kings
    • "Countdown" - Signals
    • "Red Lenses" - Grace Under Pressure
    • "Second Nature" - Hold Your Fire
    • "Tai Shan" - Hold Your Fire
    • "Scars" - Presto
    • "Anagram (For Mongo)" - Presto
    • "Roll The Bones" - Roll The Bones
    • "Neurotica" - Roll The Bones
    • "You Bet Your Life" - Roll The Bones
    • "The Speed Of Love" - Counterparts
    • "Half The World" - Test For Echo
    • "The Color Of Right" - Test For Echo
    • "Dog Years" - Test For Echo
    • "Virtuality" - Test For Echo
    • "The Stars Look Down" - Vapor Trails
    • "Out Of The Cradle" - Vapor Trails
    • "The Way The Wind Blows" - Snakes & Arrows
    • "Bravest Face" - Snakes & Arrows
    • "Good News First" - Snakes & Arrows
    • "BU2B2" - Clockwork Angels
    • "Heresy" - Roll The Bones (added)
    • "Faithless" - Snakes & Arrows (added)
    • "High Water" - Hold Your Fire (added)
    • "Superconductor" - Presto (added)
    • "War Paint" - Presto (added)
    • "Time And Motion" - Test For Echo (added)
    • "Face Up" - Roll The Bones (late add)
    • "The Big Wheel" - Roll The Bones (late add)
    • "Totem" - Test For Echo (late add)
  2. 2. How do you feel about the song you chose?

• I like/love it.
    • Ehhh.
    • I just dislike it.
    • I despise it with a passion.
  3. 3. What other bands should we do for the same subject?

• Progressive Bands
    • Heavy Metal Bands
    • Glam Rock Bands
    • Hard Rock Bands
    • Classic Rock Bands
    • Rap Rock Bands

I'm going with BU2B2.

Is there a song you would like to vote for that isn't there? Tell me before it's too late, and i'll add it.

Toodles :d13:

Edited by _hi_water._

And Madrigal is great!

Countdown? Why is Countdown on the list? That's a solid song.

i know they are amazing tracks. but there are some people on here who really don't like those songs at all, so I had to add them

And Madrigal is great!

i know they are amazing tracks. but there are some people on here who really don't like those songs at all, so I had to add them

You had to?

• Like 1

And Madrigal is great!

You had to?

:huh:

Gotta be either Heresy, Neurotica, or Faithless. Given only one of them is available, I'll go with Neurotica today.

The tinny production of Presto and RTB is simply at its nadir by the time we reach side 2 of RTB. The bass and drums have no guts and the guitars have no bite, Ged's significantly lower register keeps the treble range from being very interesting in places as well, and the keys that are left have finally stopped adding anything but cheese and expiration dates to Rush's work. On top of all that, this just isn't a very good song from them. The melody is pretty much ripped straight off of Def Leppard's Hysteria, but exchanging the excellent call and response with the backing vocals for some very bored-sounding "oh ohhh oh oohs" from a surprisingly low-pitched choir of Geddys. The verses sound like they want to have an attitude but don't make it very far past the Vanilla Ice level of being corny and unconvincing. Neil's drum work for one of the only times ever sounds like it's struggling in vain to make the song groove, Alex's guitar is frankly uninteresting until he whips up a scorching solo to try to breath some life into the song. And the little sound-effect laden bridge...we'll just chalk that up to a creative misfire that doesn't have the "so bad it's good" charm of the RTB rap. And lastly, the sharp stop-starts sprinkled into the song don't feel earned by the immobilizing stiffness of the groove.

• Like 2

Gotta be either Heresy, Neurotica, or Faithless. Given only one of them is available, I'll go with Neurotica today.

The tinny production of Presto and RTB is simply at its nadir by the time we reach side 2 of RTB. The bass and drums have no guts and the guitars have no bite, Ged's significantly lower register keeps the treble range from being very interesting in places as well, and the keys that are left have finally stopped adding anything but cheese and expiration dates to Rush's work. On top of all that, this just isn't a very good song from them. The melody is pretty much ripped straight off of Def Leppard's Hysteria, but exchanging the excellent call and response with the backing vocals for some very bored-sounding "oh ohhh oh oohs" from a surprisingly low-pitched choir of Geddys. The verses sound like they want to have an attitude but don't make it very far past the Vanilla Ice level of being corny and unconvincing. Neil's drum work for one of the only times ever sounds like it's struggling in vain to make the song groove, Alex's guitar is frankly uninteresting until he whips up a scorching solo to try to breath some life into the song. And the little sound-effect laden bridge...we'll just chalk that up to a creative misfire that doesn't have the "so bad it's good" charm of the RTB rap. And lastly, the sharp stop-starts sprinkled into the song don't feel earned by the immobilizing stiffness of the groove.

I'll add Faithless and Heresy to the list anyways ;)
  • Like 1

Any other songs you think should be on here? :d13:

Heresy has a lot of the same or similar pitfalls, and Faithless just annoys me. Write a decent lyric about aetheism, and put it to a good melody, and you've got my ear. But what's going on in Faithless is some pretty lame lyrics set to a pretty average melody which just irk my Christian ears. That's my bias speaking of course, but then I like side 2 of Jethro Tull's Aqualung, so it can't be the subject matter alone I don't care for...

• Like 1

Any other songs you think should be on here? :d13:

I'm not terribly down on many other Rush songs. There are those that bore me (Anagram) or make me cringe a bit (Virtuality, those lyrics did not age well lol), but nothing else really near the three I listed.

I will say if I had to add another I've always found High Water to be the weakest link on Hold Your Fire, as opposed to Tai Shan which at least has that pretty guitar lick and soothing spa vibe going for it.

Heresy has a lot of the same or similar pitfalls, and Faithless just annoys me. Write a decent lyric about aetheism, and put it to a good melody, and you've got my ear. But what's going on in Faithless is some pretty lame lyrics set to a pretty average melody which just irk my Christian ears. That's my bias speaking of course, but then I like side 2 of Jethro Tull's Aqualung, so it can't be the subject matter alone I don't care for...

Faithless would likely crack my bottom 20, maybe bottom 10? But for me it has nothing to do with the very forgettable, impactless lyrics.

• Like 1

You Bet Your Life is bottom 3 and it's also the Rush tune I've disliked the longest. Even when it was new I barely tolerated it but I soon grew to dislike it.

Note: I don't dislike Rivendell or Tai Shan. They're both in the tolerable or so-so zone.

• Like 1

Half the World is by far the worst thing the band ever put out.

Is it the Music or the Lyrics?

The music is eminently forgettable in a way i only wish the lyrics could be.

And Madrigal is great!

You had to?

:huh:

Well it's not like some TRF member held a gun to your head and said put f***ing Countdown in your RUSH shit list or your brains will be decorating the wallpaper.

idk man, I just recited the whole song in my head after I replied. It's not forgettable for me at least

You Bet Your Life is bottom 3 and it's also the Rush tune I've disliked the longest. Even when it was new I barely tolerated it but I soon grew to dislike it.

Note: I don't dislike Rivendell or Tai Shan. They're both in the tolerable or so-so zone.

I always skip Rivendell it just gives me a shiver down my spine in a bad way, like I just stepped in cold dog shit with bare feet.

idk man, I just recited the whole song in my head after I replied. It's not forgettable for me at least

Maybe it's like that for him too, it's stuck in his head and he's trying to forget it!

• Like 1

Side 2 of COS. I've always found it plodding and boring. But it was indeed the prototype for 2112.
  • Like 1