Kevin J. Anderson shares story inspired by Neil's battle

blueschica

This was posted to another group I am in by Kevin J. Anderson, Neil's writing partner for the Clockwork Angels novel. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet and so I can't say if it is inspirational or exploitative or just good or just poor writing; everyone will have to decide for themselves anyway. (TBH, a teeny part of me wonders how Neil would feel about his struggle being the basis for anyone's story.) But here it is-

"Sharing this story for Neil, in case anyone wants to listen, a free audio drama. After fighting brain cancer for more than three years, Neil Peart passed away in January 2020. It was a long and private battle, and the secret was very hard for many of us, unable to tell anyone or express our heartbreak and growing concern. We would smile politely and make up some vague answer whenever someone would ask about Neil.

When I was invited by the XPRIZE foundation to contribute a story to their Seat 14C anthology in 2017—stories about a plane that jumped forward 20 years in time, and how the passengers reacted—I found a suitable outlet for some of my turbulent emotions, framing my story around a woman’s struggle with her own brain cancer. Alas, no one could know the real inspiration for the story, not the anthology editor, not XPRIZE, not my readers. But I knew, and writing it was cathartic for me, although hard to bear.

“Terminal” was published in Seat 14C and then later in 2018 reprinted in a volume of my own Selected Stories, where I even wrote an introduction to the piece … though I still couldn’t reveal the real basis behind the story. Now, with the release of this audio version, I can finally let readers know what was going through my mind when I wrote it. I hope that gives an added depth as you listen. 25 minutes, listen for free at

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

This was posted to another group I am in by Kevin J. Anderson, Neil's writing partner for the Clockwork Angels novel. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet and so I can't say if it is inspirational or exploitative or just good or just poor writing; everyone will have to decide for themselves anyway. (TBH, a teeny part of me wonders how Neil would feel about his struggle being the basis for anyone's story.) But here it is-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJgP0DKNi4s&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3NTX32sNXb8QT5AP3-F3Iwr3xGAjb5-PLx_fr3NcHDl-jXD-By86w7OMY

I find his constant posting on Twitter to be pandering and a bit exploitative. How close could they have been? Certainly Geddy was worlds closer to him, but I don't see him posting endlessly about it.

• Like 1

1) Writers write about what they know 2) dealing with cancer (either your own or a loved one's) is a harrowing journey, even if it turns out to be a short battle or a long battle full of suffering and misery.

Don't bag on Mr. Anderson for trying to help people via the written word. It's in poor taste.

• Like 1

1) Writers write about what they know 2) dealing with cancer (either your own or a loved one's) is a harrowing journey, even if it turns out to be a short battle or a long battle full of suffering and misery.

Don't bag on Mr. Anderson for trying to help people via the written word. It's in poor taste.

:facepalm:

• Like 2

If you've found that Mr.Anderson's writings have helped you deal with the horrors of cancer, then I am legitimately happy that his works have brought comfort to you.

Of course Mr. Anderson stands to profit from publishing works based on the suffering of another person. That's a fact. But perhaps his effort doesn't deserve my cynicism. I haven't read or listened to the above post.I will give it a look/listen.

• Like 1

Can't say I'm a huge fan of his writing. If writing the story helped him process it, I'm happy it helped him. But I don't like that he made money off Neil's suffering.

If Mr Anderson was to create an astounding piece of work, independent to any connection to Mr Peart, or rather the connection is made afterwards, isolated, by the the reader, this would add immense credibility to him as a writer.

• Like 1

Don't know if I want to listen to that.

But then I've never read Clockwork Angels other than what is in the lyric booklet.

Clockwork Angels is easy enough to understand from what the booklet lines out.

I finally did read a summary of the novelization....It's a great story.

Anyhow, I thought this short story was allright.

I listened to it. *Gasp* I was unoffended.

It's science fiction people. Have sense of humor about life. That's all I have to say.

Wtf has having a sense of humour got to do with the price of eggs in Argentina?

KJA is a f***ing terrible author and everyone has the right to an opinion about it....

Personally I will never forgive him for the total clusterfuck he made with his continuation of the Dune saga...totally heinous and pisses all over Frank Herberts legacy.

• Like 1

Personally I will never forgive him for the total clusterfuck he made with his continuation of the Dune saga...totally heinous and pisses all over Frank Herbert's legacy.

We Dune fans are just are ferocious as Rush fans, aren't we? :laughing guy:

I used to partake in one or two Dune fan websites. There were some seriously hardcore people there!

It's science fiction people. Have sense of humor about life. That's all I have to say.

KJA is a f***ing terrible author and everyone has the right to an opinion about it....

Personally I will never forgive him for the total clusterfuck he made with his continuation of the Dune saga...totally heinous and pisses all over Frank Herberts legacy.

I dont read a lot of science fiction, but friends of mine that do all share an enthusiastic dislike for this gentleman.

I dont read a lot of science fiction, but friends of mine that do all share an enthusiastic dislike for this gentleman.

I thought Drumbeats was OK.

• Like 1