Your Rush Album Firsts...

The Cat 3

1. First Rush Album You Bought?

2: The Rush Album That Got You Hooked?

2112, lol it was pretty immediate for me, although CA and AFTK helped finish the job

3: First Rush Studio Album You Bought?

4: First Rush Live Album You Bought?

All The World's A Stage, a beat up vinyl copy from Goodwill!

5: First Rush Compilation You Bought?

I didn't, but my dad bought Chronicles. I'm not big on compilations.

6: First Rush Studio Album You Bought On Release Day?

I didn't sadly, but I bought Clockwork Angels a mere couple months after it was released, probably with money I'd received for my 14th birthday.

7: First Rush Bootleg That Blew You Away?

None, I haven't heard any!

neither am I, unless they have new songs on them. That's why I bought Van Halen compilations.
  • Like 1

The first one I ever bought, "Rush 'N Roulette". This was recorded at Chicago's International Ampitheater on the Moving Pictures tour. They played 4 nights. The recording is from the night after I was there. I love the part on it where Alex takes the microphone and announces something to the sort of, "You know, I've always felt that people who come see us live, they've always deserved something a little bit extra. I'm gonna play this song, it's never been performed live before, never been recorded. It's just for those of you who came tonight." When he says "never been recorded" you can hear the girlfriend of the guy who was recording start giggling. Love it!

When I first bought this I thought it was Alex too, but it's actually Tommy Shaw from Styx. Have no idea why it ended up there, but someone obviously got confused.

Doesn't even sound like Alex (though I did not really know that at that time.)

Not sure what you're talking about. Tommy Shaw wasn't there. Max Webster opened for Rush, 3/1/1981.

At that time, Tommy Shaw would have still been with Styx.

Where does your info come from?

May have been in one of those FAQs in an old issue of National Midnight Star or somewhere.

Sounds like Tommy Shaw and Alex does not speak like that.

Just because someone put him on that record doesn't mean he was there when Rush was.

My guess is that whoever did it had some space to fill and put it on there not really knowing what it was or the put it one there to mess with people's heads.

Also, it's only on that vinyl recording.. As far as I know it never survived a digital transfer. It's not on my CD of that show or a cassette recording I was sent later.

The first one I ever bought, "Rush 'N Roulette". This was recorded at Chicago's International Ampitheater on the Moving Pictures tour. They played 4 nights. The recording is from the night after I was there. I love the part on it where Alex takes the microphone and announces something to the sort of, "You know, I've always felt that people who come see us live, they've always deserved something a little bit extra. I'm gonna play this song, it's never been performed live before, never been recorded. It's just for those of you who came tonight." When he says "never been recorded" you can hear the girlfriend of the guy who was recording start giggling. Love it!

When I first bought this I thought it was Alex too, but it's actually Tommy Shaw from Styx. Have no idea why it ended up there, but someone obviously got confused.

Not sure what you're talking about. Tommy Shaw wasn't there. Max Webster opened for Rush, 3/1/1981.

Yeah the only times Rush and Styx played together was in 75-77. I doubt Tommy would be there just by himself

yeahhhh Tommy wouldn't stand being there just by himself :hail:

He would if he were just playing his acoustic. Impossible to know what the rest Styx were doing at the time based on that clip.

May have been in one of those FAQs in an old issue of National Midnight Star or somewhere.

Just because someone put him on that record doesn't mean he was there when Rush was.

My guess is that whoever did it had some space to fill and put it on there not really knowing what it was or the put it one there to mess with people's heads.

Also, it's only on that vinyl recording.. As far as I know it never survived a digital transfer. It's not on my CD of that show or a cassette recording I was sent later.

Wow. And that's said in a deadpan manner. I'm totally blown away by this. I've been remembering Tommy Shaw all these years??? Like I wrote originally, I only have the original album bootleg and haven't heard it in decades. I can certainly say that I've never read this info before this, but then really, why would I see info about a bootleg?

If anyone comes across official info somewhere, please post it. As to how Alex talks compared to how Tommy Shaw talks... We're talking about Alex of 1981 here. I wouldn't have ever heard his voice back then, and I honestly can't say I've heard Alex's voice enough even now to know the difference.

Wow.

• Like 1

1: First Rush Album You Bought? Exit Stage Left

2: The Rush Album That Got You Hooked? I was already hooked

3: First Rush Studio Album You Bought? Permanent Waves

4: First Rush Live Album You Bought? Exit Stage Left

5: First Rush Compilation You Bought? Never did.

6: First Rush Studio Album You Bought On Release Day? Vapor Trails

7: First Rush Bootleg That Blew You Away? Never did.

1: First Rush Album You Bought?

Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures

Exit...Stage Left

Chronicles

Hold Your Fire

TBD

Wow. And that's said in a deadpan manner. I'm totally blown away by this. I've been remembering Tommy Shaw all these years??? Like I wrote originally, I only have the original album bootleg and haven't heard it in decades. I can certainly say that I've never read this info before this, but then really, why would I see info about a bootleg?

If anyone comes across official info somewhere, please post it. As to how Alex talks compared to how Tommy Shaw talks... We're talking about Alex of 1981 here. I wouldn't have ever heard his voice back then, and I honestly can't say I've heard Alex's voice enough even now to know the difference.

Wow.

Poked around a bit on you tube to see if I can find Alex's appearance on the Robert Klein show in 1981 or the BBC Rock Hour show from that year but I wasn't able to find anything. Also tried looking for that guitar snippet. Think there may be a few more possibilities that I'm not thinking of at the moment. Don't think the Rockline radio show started yet.

neither am I, unless they have new songs on them. That's why I bought Van Halen compilations.

although I have The Best Of Both Worlds (the compilation, not the godawful Hannah Montana album) on CD, but both of the discs are badly scratched, and the case is pretty weak. Disc 2 skips a lot on "Right Now" (Track 12) and "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love (Live)" (Track 15).

What were some of your Rush album purchasing firsts from the questions below?

1: First Rush Album You Bought?

1. Time Machine 2011: Live in Cleveland. My first concert was the NYC date on that tour!

2. The Spirit of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987. My dad had that CD on all the time in his car.

3. Grace Under Pressure. Strange choice looking back, but I was really into Red Sector A and Kid Gloves at the time.

4. TM2011

5. N/A. Growing up in the age of iTunes, I’ve always just made my own compilations.

6. Clockwork Angels. Still one of my favorites! :wub:

7. Auburn Hills ‘94. Not sure what the actual title is.