• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 ytserush

ytserush

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5305 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:49 PM

What were some of your Rush album purchasing firsts from the questions below?

1: First Rush Album You Bought?

2: The Rush Album That Got You Hooked?

Exit...Stage Left

3: First Rush Studio Album You Bought?

4: First Rush Live Album You Bought?

Exit...Stage Left

5: First Rush Compilation You Bought?

Chronicles and every one after except of the Euro Time Stand Still compilation

6: First Rush Studio Album You Bought On Release Day?

Power Windows

7: First Rush Bootleg That Blew You Away?

The first album I bought -- 3/1/81 Chicago

Sponsored Post

#42 ytserush

ytserush

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5305 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:04 PM

View Posttaurus, on 23 June 2020 - 02:50 PM, said:

View Postzepphead, on 23 June 2020 - 01:57 PM, said:

St. Louis '80  (11-13? Feb 1980 FM Broadcast)  First Rush boot i owned and still up there with the best.

someone like yourself who has been a fan from way early on - was that the first Rush boot you saw too? I think the first Rush boot ever pressed was the Montreal 1978 record with the bad fan art, but am curious as to which other ones came after that. Back in the early 80's when I first started looking to collect boots - rush ones were rare

The first ones I saw on vinyl(very few compared with other bands) pre mid-1986 were the 3/1/81 Chicago show, the Cleveland 1974 and '75 shows (Stellar Dynamics with the black starfish), Pinkpop 6/4/79, St. Louis 1980.  About six months later there was the Grace Under Pressure broadcast and Power Windows shows from Minnesota and Quebec and a Signals show from Rotterdam.

Those were the early ones I remember. First Rush video bootleg I was was the Nassau Coliseum 1986 show which I previewed a bit of but never bought until MUCH later because I wasn't paying $35 for it at that time.

#43 ytserush

ytserush

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5305 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:09 PM

View PostGeddyleegenes, on 24 June 2020 - 10:16 PM, said:

The first one I ever bought, "Rush 'N Roulette".  This was recorded at Chicago's International Ampitheater on the Moving Pictures tour.  They played 4 nights.  The recording is from the night after I was there.  I love the part on it where Alex takes the microphone and announces something to the sort of, "You know, I've always felt that people who come see us live, they've always deserved something a little bit extra.  I'm gonna play this song, it's never been performed live before, never been recorded.  It's just for those of you who came tonight."  When he says "never been recorded" you can hear the girlfriend of the guy who was recording start giggling.  Love it!

When I first bought this I thought it was Alex too, but it's actually Tommy Shaw from Styx. Have no idea why it ended up there, but someone obviously got confused.
Doesn't even sound like Alex (though I did not really know that at that time.)

#44 Freeze

Freeze

The Seeker

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:24 AM

1.Chronicles
4.ATWAS
5.Chronicles
6.Roll the Bones
7.Live at Electric Ladyland 74

#45 Lurkst

Lurkst

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:48 PM

View Postytserush, on 26 June 2020 - 09:09 PM, said:

The first one I ever bought, "Rush 'N Roulette".  This was recorded at Chicago's International Ampitheater on the Moving Pictures tour.  They played 4 nights.  The recording is from the night after I was there.  I love the part on it where Alex takes the microphone and announces something to the sort of, "You know, I've always felt that people who come see us live, they've always deserved something a little bit extra.  I'm gonna play this song, it's never been performed live before, never been recorded.  It's just for those of you who came tonight."  When he says "never been recorded" you can hear the girlfriend of the guy who was recording start giggling.  Love it!

When I first bought this I thought it was Alex too, but it's actually Tommy Shaw from Styx. Have no idea why it ended up there, but someone obviously got confused.

Thanks for clearing that up, a friend stuck a tape of that in my car once then realised it wasn't actually Rush and switched it off never to be replayed. I never found out who it was.

Is it on YouTube now?

Edited by Lurkst, 27 June 2020 - 02:51 PM.

#46 driventotheedge

driventotheedge

The Professor

• Members
  • 3995 posts
  • Interests:Riding my Harley (2006 Road King)
    Razor clamming
    The Seattle Seahawks

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:08 PM

1. 2112
2. 2112
3. 2112
4. ATWAS
5. Chronicles
6. PeW
7. St. Louis 1980

#47 Geddyleegenes

Geddyleegenes

The Seeker

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:15 PM

Not sure what you're talking about.  Tommy Shaw wasn't there.  Max Webster opened for Rush, 3/1/1981.

At that time, Tommy Shaw would have still been with Styx.

Where does your info come from?

Edited by Geddyleegenes, 27 June 2020 - 09:21 PM.

#48 ST3V

ST3V

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1707 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sports: Baseball (mainly) & Basketball, Gaming, Skateboarding, Rock Climbing/Hiking

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:01 PM

View PostGeddyleegenes, on 27 June 2020 - 09:15 PM, said:

Not sure what you're talking about.  Tommy Shaw wasn't there.  Max Webster opened for Rush, 3/1/1981.

Yeah the only times Rush and Styx played together was in 75-77. I doubt Tommy would be there just by himself

#49 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6750 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, music, movies, video games, home media, rants, polls

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:05 PM

View PostST3V, on 27 June 2020 - 10:01 PM, said:

Yeah the only times Rush and Styx played together was in 75-77. I doubt Tommy would be there just by himself
yeahhhh Tommy wouldn't stand being there just by himself :hail:

#50 Lurkst

Lurkst

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:46 AM

IIRC (and I haven't heard it since the 80s so forgive my ailing memory) the Tommy Shaw clip was the result of two different concerts being pressed on the bootleg. Either to fill some unused time on the tape/disc, or as a genuine error.

#51 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 10622 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:19 AM

1. First Rush Album You Bought?

2112, lol it was pretty immediate for me, although CA and AFTK helped finish the job

All The World's A Stage, a beat up vinyl copy from Goodwill!

I didn't, but my dad bought Chronicles. I'm not big on compilations.

I didn't sadly, but I bought Clockwork Angels a mere couple months after it was released, probably with money I'd received for my 14th birthday.

None, I haven't heard any!

#52 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6750 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:33 AM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 28 June 2020 - 02:19 AM, said:

neither am I, unless they have new songs on them. That's why I bought Van Halen compilations.

#53 ytserush

ytserush

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5305 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:49 PM

May have been in one of those FAQs in an old issue of National Midnight Star or somewhere.
Sounds like Tommy Shaw and Alex does not speak like that.

Just because someone put him on that record doesn't mean he was there when Rush was.

My guess is that whoever did it had some space to fill and put it on there not really knowing what it was or the put it one there to mess with people's heads.

Also, it's  only on that vinyl recording.. As far as I know it never survived a digital transfer.  It's not on my CD of that show or a cassette recording I was sent later.

#54 ytserush

ytserush

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5305 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:55 PM

View Post_hi_water._, on 27 June 2020 - 10:05 PM, said:

View PostST3V, on 27 June 2020 - 10:01 PM, said:

yeahhhh Tommy wouldn't stand being there just by himself :hail:
He would if he were just playing his acoustic. Impossible to know what the rest Styx were doing at the time based on that clip.

#55 Geddyleegenes

Geddyleegenes

The Seeker

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:45 PM

View Postytserush, on 28 June 2020 - 01:49 PM, said:

May have been in one of those FAQs in an old issue of National Midnight Star or somewhere.

Just because someone put him on that record doesn't mean he was there when Rush was.

My guess is that whoever did it had some space to fill and put it on there not really knowing what it was or the put it one there to mess with people's heads.

Also, it's  only on that vinyl recording.. As far as I know it never survived a digital transfer.  It's not on my CD of that show or a cassette recording I was sent later.

Wow.  And that's said in a deadpan manner.  I'm totally blown away by this.  I've been remembering Tommy Shaw all these years???  Like I wrote originally, I only have the original album bootleg and haven't heard it in decades.  I can certainly say that I've never read this info before this, but then really, why would I see info about a bootleg?

If anyone comes across official info somewhere, please post it.  As to how Alex talks compared to how Tommy Shaw talks...  We're talking about Alex of 1981 here.  I wouldn't have ever heard his voice back then, and I honestly can't say I've heard Alex's voice enough even now to know the difference.

Wow.

#56 Lurkst

Lurkst

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:39 AM

^^^^

Here's Alex talking in 1981...

#57 Hunted Witch

Hunted Witch

The Seeker

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Comics, movies, science fiction, horror, fantasy, fashion, travel, true crime, cooking, cartoons, cats

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:42 AM

1: First Rush Album You Bought? Exit Stage Left

2: The Rush Album That Got You Hooked? I was already hooked

3: First Rush Studio Album You Bought? Permanent Waves

4: First Rush Live Album You Bought? Exit Stage Left

5: First Rush Compilation You Bought? Never did.

6: First Rush Studio Album You Bought On Release Day? Vapor Trails

7: First Rush Bootleg That Blew You Away? Never did.

#58 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 25858 posts
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:34 AM

1: First Rush Album You Bought?

Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures

Exit...Stage Left

Chronicles

Hold Your Fire

TBD

#59 ytserush

ytserush

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5305 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:34 PM

View PostGeddyleegenes, on 28 June 2020 - 08:45 PM, said:

View Postytserush, on 28 June 2020 - 01:49 PM, said:

Wow.  And that's said in a deadpan manner.  I'm totally blown away by this.  I've been remembering Tommy Shaw all these years???  Like I wrote originally, I only have the original album bootleg and haven't heard it in decades.  I can certainly say that I've never read this info before this, but then really, why would I see info about a bootleg?

If anyone comes across official info somewhere, please post it.  As to how Alex talks compared to how Tommy Shaw talks...  We're talking about Alex of 1981 here.  I wouldn't have ever heard his voice back then, and I honestly can't say I've heard Alex's voice enough even now to know the difference.

Wow.

Poked around a bit on you tube to see if I can find Alex's appearance on the Robert Klein show in 1981 or the BBC Rock Hour show from that year but I wasn't able to find anything. Also tried looking for that guitar snippet. Think there may be a few more possibilities that I'm not thinking of at the moment. Don't think the Rockline radio show started yet.

#60 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6750 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:06 PM

View Post_hi_water._, on 28 June 2020 - 11:33 AM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 28 June 2020 - 02:19 AM, said:

neither am I, unless they have new songs on them. That's why I bought Van Halen compilations.
although I have The Best Of Both Worlds (the compilation, not the godawful Hannah Montana album) on CD, but both of the discs are badly scratched, and the case is pretty weak. Disc 2 skips a lot on "Right Now" (Track 12) and "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love (Live)" (Track 15).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Love The Cat and The Duck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users