Jump to content


A Farewell To Kings/Xanadu/Closer To The Heart (How Would You Rate 'Em?)


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: A Farewell To Kings/Xanadu/Closer To The Heart (How Would You Rate 'Em?) (22 member(s) have cast votes)

"A Farewell To Kings"

  1. <3 (13 votes [59.09%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 59.09%

  2. It's good... (8 votes [36.36%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 36.36%

  3. Ehhhh (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 4.55%

  4. No, I don't like it. (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

"Xanadu"

  1. I love this classic! But who doesn't? (19 votes [86.36%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 86.36%

  2. I like it. (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 4.55%

  3. Eh (2 votes [9.09%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 9.09%

  4. Nah I don't like it much (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

"Closer To The Heart"

  1. I love it. (10 votes [45.45%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 45.45%

  2. I like it, but it's a bit overrated. (10 votes [45.45%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 45.45%

  3. Ehhh (2 votes [9.09%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 9.09%

  4. No, I don't like it. (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 7290 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan (NLP)
  • Interests:Cooking, movies, music

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:04 AM

AFTK - amazing opener to this album.
Xanadu - has a lil too much buildup but when it gets great it's great
CTTH - a flat-out amazing classic

What's your thoughts on these songs?
1 post a day lol, no more spamming posts like I did lel... let's keep it like... a 'daily special' kind of thing, I guess I would call it.

Sponsored Post

#2 zepphead

zepphead

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3746 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:N. Ireland
  • Interests:Music .. Collecting music, listening, attending concerts, gym, horse racing, travelling, food & drink.

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:32 AM

This is an easy one .... all three are superb. My favourite album of all and my favourite of all Rush tracks, Xanadu.

AFTK - what an opener!! There was a tear in my eye as this roared out of my trusty old HiFi!!

Xanadu - there are no words to adequately describe it!!!

CTTH - classic written all over it from first listen.

...... then perhaps i am biased!!

#3 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 14784 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:39 AM

I love Farewell and Xanadu. It was great to see them play Xanadu on R40. Yeah, the build is a bit slow but that's one of the things that makes the song so great. It gives the main part of the song more of a punch when it finally kicks in.

Closer To The Heart is good but the radio overplaying it through the years has dropped it down a little for me. It's not the same caliber of a song that some of their other hits like Spirit, Freewill and Limelight which are all worthy of the play they've gotten over the last 40 years. I actually prefer the live version of the song with the extended jam at the end. It really makes the song much  better. The song feels complete to me when I hear that ending.

#4 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 7290 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan (NLP)
  • Interests:Cooking, movies, music

Posted 16 June 2020 - 10:47 AM

View Postzepphead, on 16 June 2020 - 08:32 AM, said:

This is an easy one .... all three are superb. My favourite album of all and my favourite of all Rush tracks, Xanadu.

AFTK - what an opener!! There was a tear in my eye as this roared out of my trusty old HiFi!!

Xanadu - there are no words to adequately describe it!!!

CTTH - classic written all over it from first listen.

...... then perhaps i am biased!!
What's your favorite song from AFTK that isn't Xanadu?

#5 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 7290 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan (NLP)
  • Interests:Cooking, movies, music

Posted 16 June 2020 - 10:48 AM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 16 June 2020 - 08:39 AM, said:

I love Farewell and Xanadu. It was great to see them play Xanadu on R40. Yeah, the build is a bit slow but that's one of the things that makes the song so great. It gives the main part of the song more of a punch when it finally kicks in.

Closer To The Heart is good but the radio overplaying it through the years has dropped it down a little for me. It's not the same caliber of a song that some of their other hits like Spirit, Freewill and Limelight which are all worthy of the play they've gotten over the last 40 years. I actually prefer the live version of the song with the extended jam at the end. It really makes the song much  better. The song feels complete to me when I hear that ending.
Hmmm now I feel like Xanadu should be in my Top 25 now that you said that... well then

#6 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

    A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

  • Members *
  • 24484 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Straight Outta McMaynerberry

Posted 16 June 2020 - 11:45 AM

What are you doing with all this data you're collecting?

#7 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 7290 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan (NLP)
  • Interests:Cooking, movies, music

Posted 16 June 2020 - 11:54 AM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 16 June 2020 - 11:45 AM, said:

What are you doing with all this data you're collecting?
lol idk :D this is just for fun lol

#8 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 11189 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:42 PM

All three are in my top ten.

#9 zepphead

zepphead

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3746 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:N. Ireland
  • Interests:Music .. Collecting music, listening, attending concerts, gym, horse racing, travelling, food & drink.

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:26 PM

View Post_hi_water._, on 16 June 2020 - 10:47 AM, said:

View Postzepphead, on 16 June 2020 - 08:32 AM, said:

This is an easy one .... all three are superb. My favourite album of all and my favourite of all Rush tracks, Xanadu.

AFTK - what an opener!! There was a tear in my eye as this roared out of my trusty old HiFi!!

Xanadu - there are no words to adequately describe it!!!

CTTH - classic written all over it from first listen.

...... then perhaps i am biased!!
What's your favorite song from AFTK that isn't Xanadu?
Close between AFTK and Cygnus X-1 (i am a sucker for the longer, more complex tracks), but AFTK just shades it because of the initial impact it had on me when i first got the album.

#10 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

    A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

  • Members *
  • 24484 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Straight Outta McMaynerberry

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:30 PM

View Post_hi_water._, on 16 June 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 16 June 2020 - 11:45 AM, said:

What are you doing with all this data you're collecting?
lol idk :D this is just for fun lol
I don't trust this. I'm think this guy works for Anthem's marketing team.

#11 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 7290 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan (NLP)
  • Interests:Cooking, movies, music

Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:17 PM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 16 June 2020 - 02:30 PM, said:

View Post_hi_water._, on 16 June 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 16 June 2020 - 11:45 AM, said:

What are you doing with all this data you're collecting?
lol idk :D this is just for fun lol
I don't trust this. I'm think this guy works for Anthem's marketing team.
:rfl:

#12 78jazz

78jazz

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 789 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MidWest U.S.

Posted 16 June 2020 - 05:26 PM

Yes, I am the eh vote on Xanadu.

#13 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 14784 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:44 PM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 16 June 2020 - 02:30 PM, said:

View Post_hi_water._, on 16 June 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 16 June 2020 - 11:45 AM, said:

What are you doing with all this data you're collecting?
lol idk :D this is just for fun lol
I don't trust this. I'm think this guy works for Anthem's marketing team.

I figured it was one of two things. Either they are a new fan who recently discovered Rush and their fandom is still in the honeymoon phase and is very eager to hear other fans thought. Or they are an older fan who is delighted that they finally found a place to talk about Rush.

Whatever it is, I do appreciate the enthusiasm. A lot of us have been here for so long that we kind of lost that a little when talking about the band.

#14 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 7290 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan (NLP)
  • Interests:Cooking, movies, music

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:29 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 16 June 2020 - 08:44 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 16 June 2020 - 02:30 PM, said:

View Post_hi_water._, on 16 June 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 16 June 2020 - 11:45 AM, said:

What are you doing with all this data you're collecting?
lol idk :D this is just for fun lol
I don't trust this. I'm think this guy works for Anthem's marketing team.

I figured it was one of two things. Either they are a new fan who recently discovered Rush and their fandom is still in the honeymoon phase and is very eager to hear other fans thought. Or they are an older fan who is delighted that they finally found a place to talk about Rush.

Whatever it is, I do appreciate the enthusiasm. A lot of us have been here for so long that we kind of lost that a little when talking about the band.
I am a youngster who is a fan for a long time (for many years I lived) but I found out about this forum, so here I am lol

I think most people stopped talking on this site because Neil's death was a huge kick in the crotch

Edited by _hi_water._, 16 June 2020 - 09:30 PM.


#15 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 14784 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:57 PM

View Post_hi_water._, on 16 June 2020 - 09:29 PM, said:

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 16 June 2020 - 08:44 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 16 June 2020 - 02:30 PM, said:

View Post_hi_water._, on 16 June 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 16 June 2020 - 11:45 AM, said:

What are you doing with all this data you're collecting?
lol idk :D this is just for fun lol
I don't trust this. I'm think this guy works for Anthem's marketing team.

I figured it was one of two things. Either they are a new fan who recently discovered Rush and their fandom is still in the honeymoon phase and is very eager to hear other fans thought. Or they are an older fan who is delighted that they finally found a place to talk about Rush.

Whatever it is, I do appreciate the enthusiasm. A lot of us have been here for so long that we kind of lost that a little when talking about the band.
I am a youngster who is a fan for a long time (for many years I lived) but I found out about this forum, so here I am lol

I think most people stopped talking on this site because Neil's death was a huge kick in the crotch

Nah, it was happening before that. Once it became obvious that R40 was it, a lot of members here started dropping off.

#16 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 7290 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan (NLP)
  • Interests:Cooking, movies, music

Posted 16 June 2020 - 10:20 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 16 June 2020 - 09:57 PM, said:

View Post_hi_water._, on 16 June 2020 - 09:29 PM, said:

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 16 June 2020 - 08:44 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 16 June 2020 - 02:30 PM, said:

View Post_hi_water._, on 16 June 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 16 June 2020 - 11:45 AM, said:

What are you doing with all this data you're collecting?
lol idk :D this is just for fun lol
I don't trust this. I'm think this guy works for Anthem's marketing team.

I figured it was one of two things. Either they are a new fan who recently discovered Rush and their fandom is still in the honeymoon phase and is very eager to hear other fans thought. Or they are an older fan who is delighted that they finally found a place to talk about Rush.

Whatever it is, I do appreciate the enthusiasm. A lot of us have been here for so long that we kind of lost that a little when talking about the band.
I am a youngster who is a fan for a long time (for many years I lived) but I found out about this forum, so here I am lol

I think most people stopped talking on this site because Neil's death was a huge kick in the crotch

Nah, it was happening before that. Once it became obvious that R40 was it, a lot of members here started dropping off.
Oh yeah... I've seen that. That didn't come to mind :/

#17 zepphead

zepphead

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3746 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:N. Ireland
  • Interests:Music .. Collecting music, listening, attending concerts, gym, horse racing, travelling, food & drink.

Posted 17 June 2020 - 02:26 PM

View Post_hi_water._, on 16 June 2020 - 10:20 PM, said:

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 16 June 2020 - 09:57 PM, said:

View Post_hi_water._, on 16 June 2020 - 09:29 PM, said:

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 16 June 2020 - 08:44 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 16 June 2020 - 02:30 PM, said:

View Post_hi_water._, on 16 June 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 16 June 2020 - 11:45 AM, said:

What are you doing with all this data you're collecting?
lol idk :D this is just for fun lol
I don't trust this. I'm think this guy works for Anthem's marketing team.

I figured it was one of two things. Either they are a new fan who recently discovered Rush and their fandom is still in the honeymoon phase and is very eager to hear other fans thought. Or they are an older fan who is delighted that they finally found a place to talk about Rush.

Whatever it is, I do appreciate the enthusiasm. A lot of us have been here for so long that we kind of lost that a little when talking about the band.
I am a youngster who is a fan for a long time (for many years I lived) but I found out about this forum, so here I am lol

I think most people stopped talking on this site because Neil's death was a huge kick in the crotch

Nah, it was happening before that. Once it became obvious that R40 was it, a lot of members here started dropping off.
Oh yeah... I've seen that. That didn't come to mind :/
Doh! I'm kinda late to the party then!

#18 _hi_water._

_hi_water._

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 7290 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan (NLP)
  • Interests:Cooking, movies, music

Posted 24 June 2020 - 09:50 PM

View Postzepphead, on 17 June 2020 - 02:26 PM, said:

View Post_hi_water._, on 16 June 2020 - 10:20 PM, said:

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 16 June 2020 - 09:57 PM, said:

View Post_hi_water._, on 16 June 2020 - 09:29 PM, said:

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 16 June 2020 - 08:44 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 16 June 2020 - 02:30 PM, said:

View Post_hi_water._, on 16 June 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 16 June 2020 - 11:45 AM, said:

What are you doing with all this data you're collecting?
lol idk :D this is just for fun lol
I don't trust this. I'm think this guy works for Anthem's marketing team.

I figured it was one of two things. Either they are a new fan who recently discovered Rush and their fandom is still in the honeymoon phase and is very eager to hear other fans thought. Or they are an older fan who is delighted that they finally found a place to talk about Rush.

Whatever it is, I do appreciate the enthusiasm. A lot of us have been here for so long that we kind of lost that a little when talking about the band.
I am a youngster who is a fan for a long time (for many years I lived) but I found out about this forum, so here I am lol

I think most people stopped talking on this site because Neil's death was a huge kick in the crotch

Nah, it was happening before that. Once it became obvious that R40 was it, a lot of members here started dropping off.
Oh yeah... I've seen that. That didn't come to mind :/
Doh! I'm kinda late to the party then!
:doh:
well then now is your chance to start a juicy discussion eh? ;)

#19 Texas King

Texas King

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2659 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:51 PM

I love Xanadu and AFTK.
I like, but don't love CTTH.

#20 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1804 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:59 PM

CTTH starts great and then the wheels fall off.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users