Alex top 5 favorite guitar

The Analog Fred

Hello!

Alex has used several guitars during his career.

During the 70s, he mainly used semi-hollow Gibson (ES-335, 345 and 355 white). During the first half of the 80s, he was often seen with 3 modified Fender. A black, a red and a White nickname "Hentor"

Then, for a few years (Hord your Fire and Presto) he used Signature guitars with active pickups.

In the 90s, he mostly used Paul Reed Smiths and then finally, in the years 2000 and 2010, he mainly used Gibson Les Paul.

So what are your Alex top 5 guitars?

Here's my mine :

1. Gibson ES-355 '76 (white) : Main guitar for AFTK, Hemisphere, Permanent Wave and some songs for MP.
  2. Fender Stratocaster modified "Hentor" : Used for Limelight solo and several songs on MP. Main guitar for Signals, GUP, and Power Windows
  3. Gibson EDS 1275 double neck (Red then White) : used on Xanadu
  4. Gibson Les Paul '75 (tobacco burst) : Used for All the world's stage and later on Stick it out. On tours in the '90 and '00
  5. Paul Reed Smith CE Bolt-on '90 (black) used among others on Dreamline, Leave my things Alone

Special mention for the Fender Telecaster Reissue (blonde). Alex's main writing guitar.

Edited by The Analog Fred
  • Like 1

I like the way Les Pauls feel smooth like buttah, but that's hardly an original choice on his part.

So I'd go for the PRS. They used to make some terrific, heavy guitars with amazing sustain.

• Like 1

Al is quoted that he hated how the Signature guitars played, but they had a sound that he was going with at the time. Those would likely be at the bottom of any list.

I don't think he was fond of the double neck, but it was the right tool for Xanadu. There would have been more opportunities to use it if he really wanted to.

I think he also used a SG (roll the bones?) but never seemed fond of it.

A darkhorse is the Howard Roberts fusion, which was used on MP and seemed like a bastard child of the ES and Les Paul lines.

Al likes to dabble but he always returns to the Gibsons.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

Hello!

Alex has used several guitars during his career.

During the 70s, he mainly used semi-hollow Gibson (ES-335, 345 and 355 white). During the first half of the 80s, he was often seen with 3 modified Fender. A black, a red and a White nickname "Hentor"

Then, for a few years (Hord your Fire and Presto) he used Signature guitars with active pickups.

In the 90s, he mostly used Paul Reed Smiths and then finally, in the years 2000 and 2010, he mainly used Gibson Les Paul.

So what are your Alex top 5 guitars?

Here's my mine :

1. Gibson ES-355 '76 (white) : Main guitar for AFTK, Hemisphere, Permanent Wave and some songs for MP.
  2. Fender Stratocaster modified "Hentor" : Used for Limelight solo and several songs on MP. Main guitar for Signals, GUP, and Power Windows
  3. Gibson EDS 1275 double neck (Red then White) : used on Xanadu
  4. Gibson Les Paul '75 (tobacco burst) : Used for All the world's stage and later on Stick it out. On tours in the '90 and '00
  5. Paul Reed Smith CE Bolt-on '90 (black) used among others on Dreamline, Leave my things Alone

Special mention for the Fender Telecaster Reissue (blonde). Alex's main writing guitar.

That is exactly how I have them

• Like 1

Gotta go with:

Black PRS (honorable mention to the red one with the early model piezo bridge) (Black-Presto thru Time Machine, Red-Test For Echo & Vapor Trails)

Great White Signature Aurora (HYF, Presto tours)

Crimson Red AL Axcess LP (Time Machine, parts of Clockwork Angels and R40)

Hentor (Permanent Waves thru Power Windows)

ES-355 (All over, mostly early & later days)

Edited by TFEman

I have an issue of Guitar Player from 1990 with Alex & Geddy on the cover circa Presto which is interesting because Geddy is not wearing his glasses and has his hair pulled back thus making his nose look extra large and Alex is holding a blue-turquoise colored PRS that I've never seen him with aside from that photo