Your favorite guitar TONE by Lifeson?

Texas King

His tone on Exit...Stage Left is awesome.

I really liked his tone on By-Tor from ATWAS.

And his tone all across P/G is really consistent

I think P/G takes the award for consistency in tone across all songs.

Really guys?

I'd say his tones on Counterparts are pretty incredible - lots of different guitars on that one I believe. Played through a Peavey 5150.

I'm thinking of Double Agent at the moment. Sounds like a Telecaster to me...just rich and pure sounding.

• Like 2

Really guys?

I'd say his tones on Counterparts are pretty incredible - lots of different guitars on that one I believe. Played through a Peavey 5150.

I'm thinking of Double Agent at the moment. Sounds like a Telecaster to me...just rich and pure sounding.

I'd bet he was playing a PRS or Les Paul on that track, not a Tele. He wasn't using a ton of gain on that song and he had some added high end which made it sound a little cleaner and brighter, but it doesn't have that Tele sound that "Vital Signs" or "Ghost Rider" have.

• Like 1

the first 3 songs off p/g

:yes:

For his best "effectsy" tone -- chorus and delay -- I'd go with this as well. "Afterimage" especially. "Between the Wheels" is great also.

http://youtu.be/C2sq4duvQpA

http://youtu.be/cj1eUnNOvpY

As for my favorite raw tone, my first thought was "Working Man" from the debut, but decided on this one instead:

http://youtu.be/R_MrtGW5svo

• Like 4

The OP is asking for a single song, which makes it a little tricky for me, but I'd go with The Necromancer.
  • Like 2

Really guys?

Yeah, this. It's what leapt out at me immediately first time on hearing Counterparts. I'd never heard his tone sooooo electrified and crunchy as it is on "Stick It Out".

It makes the song what it is.

• Like 3

Really guys?

Yeah, this. It's what leapt out at me immediately first time on hearing Counterparts. I'd never heard his tone sooooo electrified and crunchy as it is on "Stick It Out".

It makes the song what it is.

I love Stick It Out's tone. One of the best, but not THE best

• Like 1

For his best "effectsy" tone -- chorus and delay -- I'd go with this as well. "Afterimage" especially. "Between the Wheels" is great also.

His solos on p/g sound different from his solos previously.

He was actively trying to play slower, more melodically, and even with more chords. They're very emotionally expressive.

• Like 3

He was actively trying to play slower, more melodically, and even with more chords. They're very emotionally expressive.

With solos, we heard hints of Alex's expressiveness on songs like La Villa and Different Strings, but I believe the peak of Alex's soloing prowess occurred on GUP-PoW-HYF. It's probably not a coincidence that those three albums were also the height of the band's keyboard era -- Alex was looking for ways for his guitar to stand out and his solos were one way to do that.

• Like 3

With solos, we heard hints of Alex's expressiveness on songs like La Villa and Different Strings, but I believe the peak of Alex's soloing prowess occurred on GUP-PoW-HYF. It's probably not a coincidence that those three albums were also the height of the band's keyboard era -- Alex was looking for ways for his guitar to stand out and his solos were one way to do that.

Concur. Geddy's synths were encroaching on his territory ... and they upped his game.

Overall, his guitar playing in the 1980s was more emotional and well-crafted than in the 1970s.

• Like 3

I'd say Freewill is probably his very peak sound, but then again it could be Between The Wheels, or Driven, or 2112...

The OP is asking for a single song, which makes it a little tricky for me, but I'd go with The Necromancer.

I listened to that just yesterday and thought the same thing.
  • Like 1

Really guys?

This

• Like 1