1970s Highest Grossing Films

JohnnyBlaze

1970s Highest Grossing Films  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these highest grossing 70s flicks do you like the best?

• Love Story
    • Fiddler on the Roof
    • The Godfather
    • The Sting
    • The Towering Inferno
    • Jaws
    • Rocky
    • Star Wars
    • Grease
    • Kramer vs. Kramer
  2. 2. Which ones would you give an A- grade or greater?

3. 3. Compared to the other poll (80s highest grossing films), which decade do you prefer? [Consider just what's on the two lists]

Very hard to vote against The Godfather but I just had to go with the big fish and Robert Shaw.

I never did see Love Story, Fiddler on the Roof, or The Sting.

Star Wars and Grease are my two earliest memories of the cinema that I have. I was a few months shy of 5 when I saw Star Wars at the theater.

Very hard to vote against The Godfather but I just had to go with the big fish and Robert Shaw.

Also hard to go against the Godfather, but I went with another Robert Shaw movie, The Sting. All around just a more enjoyable film for me.

As for 70s vs 80s, the seventies slay just about any decade.

• Like 2

Favorite film was actually easy, because Jaws is my all time favorite movie. I've never seen Love Story or Fiddler on the Roof. I like Towering Inferno (without googling it I would guess I was around 9 or 10 when that came out) but I don't remember thinking it was what I'd call great. All the others were.

If the question were "which movie is best," that's gotta be The Godfather, but as it's which one I like the most, it's Star Wars. Few things in my life have been quite as momentous as seeing that movie.

Wait, wait -- you guys (Johnny and Rick) have never seen Fiddler on the Roof? Oh, man -- I hate musicals and I think that's a great film. Really, carve out some time; it's worth it.

The Sting, Jaws, the '70s really buries the '80s in terms of level of craft.

• Like 1

Also hard to go against the Godfather, but I went with another Robert Shaw movie, The Sting. All around just a more enjoyable film for me.

For me, the 70s beat the 80s as a whole but just considering the two lists, I went the other way.

If the question were "which movie is best," that's gotta be The Godfather, but as it's which one I like the most, it's Star Wars. Few things in my life have been quite as momentous as seeing that movie.

Wait, wait -- you guys (Johnny and Rick) have never seen Fiddler on the Roof? Oh, man -- I hate musicals and I think that's a great film. Really, carve out some time; it's worth it.

Yes, “like the most” over “which is best” something to consider. Sometimes it can be the same, sometimes not. Vocally, Luciano Pavarotti was better than Geddy Lee but whose vocals do I like to listen to more?

I generally don’t watch musicals but I’m not opposed to them. So yeah I should check that one out.

• Like 1

For me, the 70s beat the 80s as a whole but just considering the two lists, I went the other way.

We need a head to head poll thread.
  • Like 1

70s were great for gritty action and dramas. 80’s were great for horror and comedy.

An interesting thought. A lot of 70s comedy hasn't aged all that well, while the 80s classics still hold up. And 80s drama does pale in comparison to the 70s. I'd call horror a toss up.

70s were great for gritty action and dramas. 80’s were great for horror and comedy.

An interesting thought. A lot of 70s comedy hasn't aged all that well, while the 80s classics still hold up. And 80s drama does pale in comparison to the 70s. I'd call horror a toss up.

The Exorcist vs The Shining. Tough call.

Halloween > Friday the 13th.

This is a thread that might be worth doing too.

Double features, head to head by year? Could be tomorrow's project.
  • Like 1

I just mentioned those 4 because they were the first ones i thought of. I do think of The Shining as a 70s movie though. And for whatever reason I thought Rosemary’s Baby was ‘70 or ‘71 but nope, even earlier than that. The Omen’s a good 70s horror classic too. I’m just not thinking of too many good 80s horror movies.

But with these critters, I’d go like this...

The Omen > Texas Chainsaw Massacre > Nightmare on Elm Street > Hellraiser

So two popular 70s movies over two popular 80s movies.

And then there’s the not so well known yet cult classic Race with the Devil from the mid-70s. I’d put that over Nightmare and Hellraiser too.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

FOTR is a great musical, too.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

I just mentioned those 4 because they were the first ones i thought of. I do think of The Shining as a 70s movie though. And for whatever reason I thought Rosemary’s Baby was ‘70 or ‘71 but nope, even earlier than that. The Omen’s a good 70s horror classic too. I’m just not thinking of too many good 80s horror movies.

And then there’s the not so well known yet cult classic Race with the Devil from the mid-70s. I’d put that over Nightmare and Hellraiser too.

TCM is nauseating, but I wouldn't call it good.

Another true story. Right after seeing the first Nightmare, I slept in our den on the back rest of the couch because of the Johnny Depp scene. My dad got up to use the bathroom, walked by, then backed up and looked in at me and asked, "What the f*ck are you doing?" :LOL:

TCM is nauseating, but I wouldn't call it good.

Another true story. Right after seeing the first Nightmare, I slept in our den on the back rest of the couch because of the Johnny Depp scene. My dad got up to use the bathroom, walked by, then backed up and looked in at me and asked, "What the f*ck are you doing?" :LOL:

:LOL:

Here’s an 80s horror movie that I don’t think of as horror which I like loads more than TCM, Elm Street, and Helleaiser : Poltergeist.

And then here are two other 80s movies that some might consider as horror too which I’d put in the very enjoyable Poltergeist zone : Aliens and The Fly (Goldblum one)

• Like 2

Star Wars and Grease are my two earliest memories of the cinema that I have. I was a few months shy of 5 when I saw Star Wars at the theater.

Do yourself a favor and watch The Sting. I can't believe you haven't seen it.

Me neither! Paul Newman was a classic pro. There are a bunch of his movies which I haven’t seen that I just never got around to

• Like 2

Me neither! Paul Newman was a classic pro. There are a bunch of his movies which I haven’t seen that I just never got around to

Saw it on Showtime streaming a year ago. Great twist ending.

Exactly. Also, R.I.P. Paul Newman
  • Like 1

Exactly. Also, R.I.P. Paul Newman

Too bad Cars was his last movie to really shine him in... when he was alive