Pavilion at Lakeside Park officially named after Neil tonight

St. Catherine's city council made it official tonight!

Rush’s Neil Peart honoured with Lakeside Park pavilion in Port Dalhousie

NEWS 07:36 PM by Karena Walter

"Rush drummer and lyricist Neil Peart is being honoured with the naming of a pavilion in Port Dalhousie.

St. Catharines city council made the name Neil Peart Pavilion at Lakeside Park official Wednesday in a unanimous vote following public engagement earlier this year.

More than 81 per cent of residents who voted online chose Neil Peart Pavilion over the name Lakeside Park Pavilion.

The rest of the article can be found here- https://www.stcathar...port-dalhousie/

wa9EbbLl.jpg

• Like 10

Wow great news!

You will have to go visit and represent TRF! :hi:

I know there is a movement to get a statue placed there as well but I'm not sure how that is going. It may depend on input from Neil's family. I know when the statue people post stuff on FB to try to get it going, half the group goes "Awesome!" and the other half of the group say "Neil would have hated that!" :LOL: I love the named pavilion honor, though.

• Like 5

I know there is a movement to get a statue placed there as well but I'm not sure how that is going. It may depend on input from Neil's family. I know when the statue people post stuff on FB to try to get it going, half the group goes "Awesome!" and the other half of the group say "Neil would have hated that!"

I'm a member of the Neil would have HATED that! group.

The man couldn't stand getting simple compliments. A statue? He would have blown it up!! :o

• Like 4

I have driven by this spot a thousand times, in my life. It will now have special meaning for me, I think i will will stop by there and listen to Moving Pictures, and shed a tear for The Professor .
  • Like 3

I have driven by this spot a thousand times, in my life. It will now have special meaning for me, I think i will will stop by there and listen to Moving Pictures, and shed a tear for The Professor .

When you do, please take a photograph of the place and post it! :haz:

• Like 3

I am trying to remember a passage in one of his books (African bicycling?) when he said something like "yup, a statue will be built for me", totally tongue in cheek, but I remember thinking after recently re-reading it, at some point you just might have something closer to home soon enough!.

I hope to be in southern Ontario in a few weeks and will be taking a detour, just because.

All three of these guys deserve a spot for fans to reflect.

• Like 2

I know there is a movement to get a statue placed there as well but I'm not sure how that is going. It may depend on input from Neil's family. I know when the statue people post stuff on FB to try to get it going, half the group goes "Awesome!" and the other half of the group say "Neil would have hated that!"

I'm a member of the Neil would have HATED that! group.

The man couldn't stand getting simple compliments. A statue? He would have blown it up!! :o

I agree with you! I think there is a change.org petition or something like that that is somewhere online though. I think the pavilion thing is nice; I'll bet Neil wouldn't have minded that.

• Like 1

Someone's already making a clay maquette. Nice work, but I really hope they don't go through with this statue idea.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/morgan-macdonald-statue-neil-peart-1.5634222?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

So glad to see this. A wonderful hometown honor.

...It's not that he hated compliments, it's that he was uncomfortable when people made a scene or fawned over him. He's on record saying "it embarrasses me", but when people approached him in a civilized and non-invasive manner, he appreciated that. He mentioned it was the biggest compliment when one would say "your words are the soundtrack to my life", and that it's "awfully nice" to get praise. He just was shy about it.

Edited by upstateNYfan
  • Like 5

To me it seems very touching and apt that a place that inspired Neil to write lyrics based on childhood memories, should honour him in this way.
  • Like 2