Peter Gatien and Limelight

Nova Carmina

So I'm reading about Peter Gatien, a music club owner who has recently published a book about the various nightclubs he owned and his battles with Giuliani's NYC.

Apparently, when he opened his first club, the Aardvark, in Toronto in '73, Rush was the first band he booked; he later owned a club in NYC called "Limelight"!

So here's my question: does the song predate the club? Is it just a coincidence? I have no idea if the band and the club owner even meet, but maybe he used the song as an inspiration for the club name?

Anybody know (or willing to hypothesize irresponsibly?) about the links?

He sounds like an interesting guy, if music, failed marriages, and drugs are your thing.

• Like 1

So I'm reading about Peter Gatien, a music club owner who has recently published a book about the various nightclubs he owned and his battles with Giuliani's NYC.

Apparently, when he opened his first club, the Aardvark, in Toronto in '73, Rush was the first band he booked; he later owned a club in NYC called "Limelight"!

So here's my question: does the song predate the club? Is it just a coincidence? I have no idea if the band and the club owner even meet, but maybe he used the song as an inspiration for the club name?

He sounds like an interesting guy, if music, failed marriages, and drugs are your thing.

A nightclub?

Oooh, Neil would really have enjoyed that! :LOL:

• Like 1

limelight is old school. as in how theaters were illuminated way back when. to live in the limelight is to be ye olde celebrity................

• Like 1

Is it just a coincidence?

Not a coincidence so much as a common point of reference. The term predates both the song and the club.

Edited by JARG