POLL: Your favorite Bond movie featuring Sean Connery?

Texas King

POLL: Your favorite Bond movie featuring Sean Connery?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. POLL: Your favorite Bond movie featuring Sean Connery?

• Dr. No
    • From Russia with Love
    • Goldfinger
    • Thunderball
    • You Only Live Twice
    • Diamonds Are Forever

I like them all, for different things in each - picked Goldfinger but it could have been different on another day. Thunderball has my two favourite Bond girls (Fiona Volpe is No.1, and Domino Derval No. 2) and From Russia With Love probably has the most intense fight (with Robert Shaw) and seems closest to Fleming`s novels. Diamonds are Forever is great too if a bit hokey at times, whilst You Only Live Twice`s screenplay was written by my favourite childhood author Roald Dahl and I have a thing for Japan. As for Dr No, not only did it start everything, it has Honey Ryder walking from the ocean :wub:
  • Like 1

All are good. to me it's between Dr No and From Russia with Love. I think I have to go with Dr No, this is the film that inspired a million spy movies and spy movie series, such as, Our Man Flint, The Ipcress File and sequels, The Man From U.N.C.L.E, The Matt Helm series (The Silencers, The Ambushers, The Wrecking Crew), Dr Strangelove and so on. It was the film that created the idea of the super rich criminal mastermind with his secret lair in some unthinkable location with his own private army.
  • Like 2

Goldfinger is the best one I think. It created all the spy tropes — along with Dr. No which just brilliant too. Goldfinger is just as refined and perfect a Bond you can get.

Connery bailed at the right moment, after the disastrous You Only Live Twice - I mean the movie is one big racist misfire with a couple good scenes - most of the movie is pointless.

I believe Lazenby was a perfect replacement for him - HMSS is my favorite Bond film — but Connery caved and returned for Diamonds are Forever, where Bond looks 20 years older than he did in Goldfinger. And the movie kinda sucks.

No one agrees with me, but I think Connery was fantastic in Never Say Never Again - which I think is a pretty cool update of Thunderball - it’s a killer cast. Much better than Roger Moore’s Octopussy (WTF) which was released at the same time.

Edited by chemistry1973

I own the series Blu-Ray set which I would highly recommend. The making-of features on the older films are really well done.

For me, everything comes together best in Goldfinger. Thunderball has the most beautiful Bond girls and is solid except for the silly sped up boat fight at the end. Russia drags a bit in the first half, but makes up for it with the superb train fight scene and boat chase. Dr. No is fun and a good introduction to the not quite developed character. YOLT is mostly stupid and Connery looks bored, but the volcano lair is one of the best sets ever. Diamonds is entertaining in spots, but looks cheap compared to the others and was the beginning of a campier Bond which would continue through much of the Moore era.

1. Goldfinger

2. Thunderball

3. Russia

4. Dr. No

5. Only Live Twice

6. Diamonds

Edited by TexMike

Goldfinger is the best one I think. It created all the spy tropes — along with Dr. No which just brilliant too. Goldfinger is just as refined and perfect a Bond you can get.

Connery bailed at the right moment, after the disastrous You Only Live Twice - I mean the movie is one big racist misfire with a couple good scenes - most of the movie is pointless.

I believe Lazenby was a perfect replacement for him - HMSS is my favorite Bond film — but Connery caved and returned for Diamonds are Forever, where Bond looks 20 years older than he did in Goldfinger. And the movie kinda sucks.

No one agrees with me, but I think Connery was fantastic in Never Say Never Again - which I think is a pretty cool update of Thunderball - it’s a killer cast. Much better than Roger Moore’s Octopussy (WTF) which was released at the same time.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service is a great Bond film, but Lazenby was, at best, a mediocre Bond. His acting ability holds the film back, IMHO. Everything else is top notch.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service is a great Bond film, but Lazenby was, at best, a mediocre Bond. His acting ability holds the film back, IMHO. Everything else is top notch.

OHMSS was poisoned by my parent`s telling me Lazenby was no good etc., until I saw it and I thought it was fun and suitably violent. And as much as I`m a child of the Roger Moore era, I can`t pretend that he`s one of the world`s greatest actors. Even he said his "performance" extended to occasionally raising one eyebrow ;)

By choosing this no name guy with giant ears, they had to elevate the production, writing and casting. The movie is a total blast. Lazenby holds it together just fine. I think he adds a lot of character to the role.

By choosing this no name guy with giant ears, they had to elevate the production, writing and casting. The movie is a total blast. Lazenby holds it together just fine. I think he adds a lot of character to the role.

I find his performance stiff and clumsy and a bit distracting. To be fair, Lazenby never acted before but did an okay job. All in all, it's easily a top five Bond film. I have no issues with fans picking as their favorite. In the end I think a better actor as Bond would have made it even better. Ironically, it's probably the type of role Connery wanted.

I find his performance stiff and clumsy and a bit distracting. To be fair, Lazenby never acted before but did an okay job. All in all, it's easily a top five Bond film. I have no issues with fans picking as their favorite. In the end I think a better actor as Bond would have made it even better. Ironically, it's probably the type of role Connery wanted.

There was more physicality to the Lazenby role - he was more active - more of a prototype for Daniel Craig. Moore was so boring in comparison. I think Lazenby's performance made the role interesting and less ironic. No way could Lazenby imitate Connery's comic timing - Connery is one of a kind. Still - as Bond, Lazenby added an element that Connery couldn't. It wasn't until Connery returned in Never Say Never Again was there more physicality to bond (after OHMSS).