Don't shoot me down!

Tim091

Not under any circumstances am I suggesting that Rush should/could move on with a different drummer.

But I have just been turned on to this guy and am almost in tears at what a "fit" he would be:

I would listen but then that means I would have to hear Dave Matthews. If anyone joins Geddy and Alex for any future project, it will be Mike Portnoy since he drums for every band now except the one he made his name in.
  • Like 2

Carter is a beast. Love his drumming. Fast hands and feet, serious groove and feel. In my opinion, he would not be a good fit for Rush. He's got the skill to play Rush music, but the feel would be all wrong. Portnoy or Gavin Harrison are two examples of good fits. Hypothetically speaking, of course -- the chance of Rush actually getting back at it with a new drummer are absolutely zero.
  • Like 5

Don't shoot me down!

And here I thought you were posting from the gondola of your hot air balloon.....

• Like 1

Don't shoot me down!

And here I thought you were posting from the gondola of your hot air balloon.....

:laughing guy:

I would listen but then that means I would have to hear Dave Matthews. If anyone joins Geddy and Alex for any future project, it will be Mike Portnoy since he drums for every band now except the one he made his name in.

Oh god please no.

• Like 1

Not under any circumstances am I suggesting that Rush should/could move on with a different drummer.

But I have just been turned on to this guy and am almost in tears at what a "fit" he would be:

I love Carter but it wouldn’t work.

Matt Cameron. That’s the pick. Much better drummer than Portnoy on every level.

And I would love to hear DMB attempt Losing It though.

• Like 2

Carter is a beast. Love his drumming. Fast hands and feet, serious groove and feel. In my opinion, he would not be a good fit for Rush. He's got the skill to play Rush music, but the feel would be all wrong. Portnoy or Gavin Harrison are two examples of good fits. Hypothetically speaking, of course -- the chance of Rush actually getting back at it with a new drummer are absolutely zero.

If Portnoy becomes their drummer I'm moving to Canada.

• Like 2

He's a touch player. Everything they'd play together would sound like Rivendell.

Edited by Three Eyes
  • Like 1

Give it a rest. They're done. When they get the urge, they'll get out of the house for a day or two to do a guest spot on someone's album.

When you get to your mid 60s and retire, the last damn thing you want to hear is someone suggesting you do something you've done for the last 40+ years.

Would any drummer want to face the scrutiny of replacing Neil? Well Portnoy would, but he's a total whore anyways.

• Like 2

Yeah, one thing that made Neil stand out above so many other drummers out there was his compositional skills. I know that he did not get any credit for writing the music on any of the Rush songs, but his drum parts just added a completely different element to Rush's songs that you would be hard pressed to find another drummer out there who could even come close to emulating what he added to Rush's music.
  • Like 1

I love Carter but it wouldn’t work.

Matt Cameron. That’s the pick. Much better drummer than Portnoy on every level.

And I would love to hear DMB attempt Losing It though.

I've mentioned Cameron several times over the TRF years - a veteran, accomplished rock drummer who's already made an album with Geddy. Can't really go wrong with him.

• Like 1

It's not Neil's drumming that makes him so irreplaceable. It's his intellect.

More than anything, it's the chemistry he had with Geddy and Alex. Surely, there must be a few drummers around who match his intellect and even surpass his drumming, but none around that have those things AND get along with Geddy and Alex as Neil did.

• Like 1

Thing is, even if Neil were still around and could be persuaded to give it another go, there's the issue of Geddy not being able to cut it vocally and Alex not being able to play as well with his Psoriatic arthritis.
  • Like 2

It's not Neil's drumming that makes him so irreplaceable. It's his intellect.

More than anything, it's the chemistry he had with Geddy and Alex. Surely, there must be a few drummers around who match his intellect and even surpass his drumming, but none around that have those things AND get along with Geddy and Alex as Neil did.

The chemistry thing is so true. I felt the same about Broon's chemistry with them. So sorely missed, imo. I realize though that just saying intellect doesn't express adequately what I was trying to say. What I meant was the intellect that made up the man called Neil Peart.

OP here. Thanks for your great comments. I think perhaps what I meant (now I have thought about it some more!) was if the two guys were to put a project together then this guy would be an interesting fit. Under no circumstances would I expect/want it to be "Rush3", or to play any Rush music.

I can't stand Dave Matthews, but that lucky son of a gun has one of the best drummers on the planet. Carter's drumming video is off the hook.I confess I do own "Before These Crowded Streets." Carter shines! Too bad this band isn't just instrumental. lol

Humans can't stand Geddy's voice? Dave's vocals make me cringe.

• Like 1

Thing is, even if Neil were still around and could be persuaded to give it another go, there's the issue of Geddy not being able to cut it vocally and Alex not being able to play as well with his Psoriatic arthritis.

I think that he could cut it vocally if they were to make a new album, assuming his voice has not greatly deteriorated over the past few 3 years. His vocals sounded pretty good on Clockwork Angels. As for live, If his voice would be close to what it was the last tour which was not too great, but he could still sing most of the material from Signals on OK. I'd rather have a chance to see them live again even if his voice is not great.