Who went to school with a rock star?

HemiBeers

Fun to see him so young! (and cute, lol)! Christina Aguilera and Dan of Dan and Shay (country group) graduated from my high school but it was years after I was there. Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Fun to see him so young! (and cute, lol)! Christina Aguilera and Dan of Dan and Shay (country group) graduated from my high school but it was years after I was there.

yeah my wife labeled the pictures in her yearbook...cute, stuck up, etc.

• Like 2

What is this yearbook thing?....we never had them at our schools...a class photo was about it.

An overpriced, hardbound school annual in which i hated or didn't give a shit about a solid 90-95% of the people in it. Fridge, for you it'd likely be 99.98 or 99.99%. :poke:

My yearbooks are probably in some moldy box in the unused corner of my parents' garage. :blaze:

• Like 3

What is this yearbook thing?....we never had them at our schools...a class photo was about it.

An overpriced, hardbound school annual in which i hated or didn't give a shit about a solid 90-95% of the people in it. Fridge, for you it'd likely be 99.98 or 99.99%. :poke:

My yearbooks are probably in some moldy box in the unused corner of my parents' garage. :blaze:

They're nice to have in case one of your former classmates becomes a serial murderer.

• Like 1

They're nice to have in case one of your former classmates becomes a serial murderer.

Tragically, something like that did happen with a classmate/friend of mine

There’s someone part of a comedy troupe called The Dickheads who was in a few indie rock bands (Tuft) I went to high school with and same graduating class as well. He was in 8th grade phys ed, freshman science and senior year econ and philosophy with me. He was in an episode of US of Tara and that Super Bowl commercial with Faith Hill a decade ago.

Kevin Manwarren: http:// https://m.imdb.com/name/nm3358522/

He’s the one with the glasses and the bassist:

Ben Harper went to my high school but graduated 12 years before me.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

Oh no! I can empathize. The same thing happened with a classmate/little league friend of my husband's. 15 years later he went on an alcohol/drug induced killing spree. My in laws had actually seen him hitchhiking the day before but were in a hurry to an appointment and decided not to pick him up. The guy received the death penalty but died in prison awaiting appeals.

Not going to say who. He was my first guitar teacher as a kid - he was a kid himself.

I don`t expect an answer, but Don Felder would be my first guess based on his autobiography.

Oh no! I can empathize. The same thing happened with a classmate/little league friend of my husband's. 15 years later he went on an alcohol/drug induced killing spree. My in laws had actually seen him hitchhiking the day before but were in a hurry to an appointment and decided not to pick him up. The guy received the death penalty but died in prison awaiting appeals.

That’s terrible.

The guy I knew murdered his parents about 20 years ago, dumped their bodies behind some building, then (I think) called the police and admitted all of the events. I found out about 10 years ago. In high school, he sat with me and my closer friends in art classes for 3 years. He always had that violent streak though he never got into any physical altercations or was truly outwardly aggressive. It really does sound like one of those stereotypical answers that you might see in a documentary when I say that he wasn’t really a loner but he didn’t seem to have many friends and none of them were very close (including myself). I mean, I talked to him every day in class or during lunch but I never hung out with him outside of school or called him in those three years. So I can say he was a friend but you know, he was that kind of friend. He did, however, have a girlfriend who was very normal and who he was nice to so him committing that horrible act was even more shocking.

I remember one Monday he sat down at our art class table and his face had these little spots that looked like they were melted. Probably about a dozen spots/splotches. Not like the Toxic Avenger character but they were noticeable. It turned out that he was burning a D sized battery in his tool shed over the weekend. He was mechanically inclined but he would do those kinds of destructive things with those types of objects all the time - alone in a controlled environment with no possible good coming from it. I remember what my friends and I said to him after that battery experiment of his. We teased: “WTF for?!”, “You’re a dumb ass!”, “Didn’t you think for a second that it was a bad idea before you did it?”, and mine “Why didn’t you just go to the movies like a normal person?”. Every Monday following that event when he’d sit down at the art table we’d say stuff like, “Did you blow up anything over the weekend, Troy?” He liked that kind of notoriety I think.

He did talk about being frustrated with his mom from time to time but nothing beyond what I thought was normal. In those moments anyway. Weird to think of him as a murderer. Tragedy of course.

That’s terrible.

The guy I knew murdered his parents about 20 years ago, dumped their bodies behind some building, then (I think) called the police and admitted all of the events. I found out about 10 years ago. In high school, he sat with me and my closer friends in art classes for 3 years. He always had that violent streak though he never got into any physical altercations or was truly outwardly aggressive. It really does sound like one of those stereotypical answers that you might see in a documentary when I say that he wasn’t really a loner but he didn’t seem to have many friends and none of them were very close (including myself). I mean, I talked to him every day in class or during lunch but I never hung out with him outside of school or called him in those three years. So I can say he was a friend but you know, he was that kind of friend. He did, however, have a girlfriend who was very normal and who he was nice to so him committing that horrible act was even more shocking.

I remember one Monday he sat down at our art class table and his face had these little spots that looked like they were melted. Probably about a dozen spots/splotches. Not like the Toxic Avenger character but they were noticeable. It turned out that he was burning a D sized battery in his tool shed over the weekend. He was mechanically inclined but he would do those kinds of destructive things with those types of objects all the time - alone in a controlled environment with no possible good coming from it. I remember what my friends and I said to him after that battery experiment of his. We teased: “WTF for?!”, “You’re a dumb ass!”, “Didn’t you think for a second that it was a bad idea before you did it?”, and mine “Why didn’t you just go to the movies like a normal person?”. Every Monday following that event when he’d sit down at the art table we’d say stuff like, “Did you blow up anything over the weekend, Troy?” He liked that kind of notoriety I think.

He did talk about being frustrated with his mom from time to time but nothing beyond what I thought was normal. In those moments anyway. Weird to think of him as a murderer. Tragedy of course.

That sounds really sad. I know that some people are wired differently (or very differently) but they still manage not to take another life. It makes you wonder what the difference is with those that deliberately do.

• Like 1

That’s terrible.

That sounds really sad. I know that some people are wired differently (or very differently) but they still manage not to take another life. It makes you wonder what the difference is with those that deliberately do.

I've wondered about that difference countless times. It's one of the main reasons why I got into mental health in the 90s (eventually quitting in 2001). While working with the mentally ill, reading their case files, and listening to their stories, I came to believe that the difference is very little. More than likely, it's an accumulation of events. A series of mini-events and major events, turning left instead of right on those series of events, AND some of the wiring that you're mentioning now which led them to the worst choice at the biggest single turning point.

The ONLY time I saw that classmate Troy get into a fight/argument was our senior year. A classmate (a guy i disliked too) got in his face about something or other while the art teacher was out of the room. Nothing came out of it other than the typical, high school boy crap of face to face shit talking and chests puffed out before someone sensible stepped in to break it up. [That sensible person in this case wasn't me but another friend who sat at our table]. Troy was a big dude so I'm surprised this average nobody came up and started it all. My point is that this future murderer didn't provoke the fight/argument and didn't start swinging when many kids would've. He was agitated but still quite calm.

• Like 1

Not going to say who. He was my first guitar teacher as a kid - he was a kid himself.

I don`t expect an answer, but Don Felder would be my first guess based on his autobiography.

Nope.

not a rockstar but Kawhi Leonard went to my high school. he graduated the same year that i started high school though so i didn't actually go to school with him.
  • Like 2

With somewhat of a Rush connection, I went to the same middle-school as Aimee Mann. But she was gone long before I got there (didn't go to the same high school either as the high school I went to was just recently built).
  • Like 1

Interesting topic. I've around the rock block many times, but I never went to any school with a rock star.

However!

I do have something to write.

When I was in the 7th and 8th grade I went to school with Stephanie Ligertwood. Walnut Creek Ca! 1980 1981.

Her father of course is Alex Ligertwood.

It's funny that Pat and I are currently talking about Jeff Beck.

Alex has been in the Jeff Beck Group.

Santana.

Alex is even on a Dregs song on the "Industry Standard" LP.

Alex is good.

His daughter Stephanie is very pretty. A New Rush Nerd like me with curly hair, skinny and freckles had a crush on her.

She was always very nice.

• Like 1