Alex’s strings

Rushuk

Hello everyone..

I’m new to the forum and it’s my first posting so hopefully somebody out there can help with this question.

I’ve always liked Alex’s acoustic playing and was wondering if anyone knew what strings he uses on his acoustic guitars?

I know he has used Dean Markleys on his electrics for years but when I contacted them they said they don’t supply him with acoustic strings.

Stay safe everyone!

Scott

Guitar Player, June 1980

What type of strings do you use?

I use Dean Markleys, .010 to .048, on all of my electrics. For a while I went from a .010 on the high E to a .052 at the bottom, so it was really heavy. At one time I even had a.042 bottom E, but neither that or the .052 ever felt quite right. With the .048 it feels just perfect-I can pull the low E or A string if I want, which I do in a couple of spots in "Soliloquy Of The Soul" [2112]. The classicals get Augustines, while I use Martin light-gauges for my steel-strings.

Guitar World, April 1988

The Signature guitars are strung with Dean Markleys, gauged.009, .010, .016, .028, .038, .048. The Ovation uses Markley medium light bronze. Like Geddy, Alex is a fan of Finger Ease string lubricant. "Cases of it," laughs J.J. "It's all he lets me use."

Gear Review: PRS SE Alex Lifeson Signature Acoustic/Electric Guitar

Out of the box, the SE Alex Lifeson Acoustic ships in a hardshell case, and comes set up with D’Addario light gauge (12-53) strings. .11s might be used for someone who prefers additional playability; .10s may have too much slack to perform properly.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

Guitar Player, June 1980

What type of strings do you use?

I use Dean Markleys, .010 to .048, on all of my electrics. For a while I went from a .010 on the high E to a .052 at the bottom, so it was really heavy. At one time I even had a.042 bottom E, but neither that or the .052 ever felt quite right. With the .048 it feels just perfect-I can pull the low E or A string if I want, which I do in a couple of spots in "Soliloquy Of The Soul" [2112]. The classicals get Augustines, while I use Martin light-gauges for my steel-strings.

Guitar World, April 1988

The Signature guitars are strung with Dean Markleys, gauged.009, .010, .016, .028, .038, .048. The Ovation uses Markley medium light bronze. Like Geddy, Alex is a fan of Finger Ease string lubricant. "Cases of it," laughs J.J. "It's all he lets me use."

Gear Review: PRS SE Alex Lifeson Signature Acoustic/Electric Guitar

Out of the box, the SE Alex Lifeson Acoustic ships in a hardshell case, and comes set up with D’Addario light gauge (12-53) strings. .11s might be used for someone who prefers additional playability; .10s may have too much slack to perform properly.