Rainbow - Street of Dreams vs. Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart videos

I've been viewing the videos for 'Street of Dreams' by Rainbow and 'Owner of a Lonely Heart' by Yes, which are both released in 1983.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxKZPytRcZg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVOuYquXuuc

It's difficult to describe, but it appears that both videos have a similar theme.

One thing that stood out is the appearance of an early 1970's Jaguar XJ Series sedan in each video, and individuals dressed in suits.

Edited by RushFanForever

Whilst the 3 albums with RJD, along with Down to Earth, are always on my list of top albums, I struggle with the JLT stuff a bit. Difficult to Cure is ok, and the others have their moments, but I'll have to go with Yes.

Ritchie's solo on Death Alley Driver is superb though.

Edited by alpha p

Neither of the videos looks like the artists have any idea of what to do in a music video just yet -- is it a little movie? Is it a serious of juxtaposed images? Realistic? Surrealistic? Both say "let's avoid the hot women dancing or pseudo-live playing cliches and do something" but . . . then what?

YES has the edge for me in matching the sound of the song (if not the meaning [? -- cuz I don't know that, exactly, either]) to the action of the video.

• Like 2

Yes ........ their song is a little bit naff, but the Rainbow song is a great big bit naff!!
  • Like 1

Yes ........ their song is a little bit naff, but the Rainbow song is a great big bit naff!!

I'm American so I had to look up what naff means lol.

I only care about the first three Rainbow albums. Once Dio left they were pop garbage.

I only care about the first three Rainbow albums. Once Dio left they were pop garbage.

I'm embarrassed to say that until this year, I knew old Rainbow and post-Dio Rainbow songs, and just assumed they were two bands with the same name.

Awkward, as I liked both. Knowing they are the same band, f***ing hell! What a downturn that was!

• Like 2

I'm embarrassed to say that until this year, I knew old Rainbow and post-Dio Rainbow songs, and just assumed they were two bands with the same name.

Awkward, as I liked both. Knowing they are the same band, f***ing hell! What a downturn that was!

It's a logical mistake to make .... When Blackmore decided that he'd had enough of Dio, he seemed hell-bent on a more commercial sound ... when Graham Bonnet

was recruited they became a pop/rock band ...... focused on producing hit singles.

It's a logical mistake to make .... When Blackmore decided that he'd had enough of Dio, he seemed hell-bent on a more commercial sound ... when Graham Bonnet

was recruited they became a pop/rock band ...... focused on producing hit singles.

Had enough of Dio? I thought the story was that Blackmore wanted to go in a commercial direction and Dio left because he didn't want to do that.

• Like 1

Had enough of Dio? I thought the story was that Blackmore wanted to go in a commercial direction and Dio left because he didn't want to do that.

In a 1979 interview Blackmore made it quite clear that he had had enough of Dio. He accused him of becoming very lackadaisical.... I think he just made things so difficult for Dio

that he had no option other than to go. He also sacked Bob Daisley the bass player.

I was 8 at the time, the Yes song had more musical appeal and was the 'hipper' of the two. The videos are split along these lines of hipness - the Yes video using a bit more interesting props and imagery. Content aside, Nova Carmina was spot on with their post. Neither seemed to know quite what to do with this shiny new 'music video' toy, but hey - they tried. Edited by stoopid