The Beatles, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones or The Who?

The Cat 3

The Beatles, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones or The Who?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. The Beatles, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones or The Who?

Hallo Net Boys and Net Girls!

The Beatles

The Kinks

The Rolling Stones

The Who

Which band is your favourite and why?

http://bestanimations.com/Flags/Europe/Western/UK/uk-union-jack-flag-waving-animated-gif-3.gif

I (obviously) love all four bands and have been listening to all four regularly for over 50 years now.

I have to give top prize to The Kinks.

My order is...

The Kinks

The Beatles (a very close second)

The Who

The Rolling Stones

I am the only Who vote at the moment.

I do think the Beatles were excellent and the only competition the Who had amongst these four.

I also think that the Kinks are probably the most underrated at least of these acts (and probably one of the most underrated in the history of rock music).

I never understood why the Stones get the love they do. Maybe I don`t get it.

• Like 3

Hallo Net Boys and Net Girls!

The Beatles

The Kinks

The Rolling Stones

The Who

Which band is your favourite and why?

http://bestanimations.com/Flags/Europe/Western/UK/uk-union-jack-flag-waving-animated-gif-3.gif

So simple!

THE WHO!

Why?

The Beatles shaped my musical DNA. I was the youngest in my family by eight years, so I had my brother's and sister's albums to explore. For some reason, I gravitated towards the Beatles from the beginning. The music seemed more joyous and less cynical. As I grew older I appreciated the growth of the Beatles. I remember the first time I really listened to "Strawberry Fields Forever". My brother just bought 1967-1970. We listened to it together and the first song was "Strawberry Fields Forever". It blew my mind. This was the same band as "She Loves You" and "Can't Buy Me Love"??!!!?!? I was hooked.

All the bands in this poll are fantastic. All the bands were involved in defining and setting the standard of what a rock band can be. I have no qualms or issues with picking any one of these bands as one's favorite. It's all great music. But for me I feel the Beatles had more colors in their musical paint box. The growth and progress of their music opened my eyes to how limitless music and art can be. It still does.

• Like 2

Absolutely the Beatles. Their first album was my first LP that I used pennies from my piggy bank to buy ($3 :D) . I saw them on the Ed Sullivan show on the old black and white tv at my cousins house, then at home on the following performances. I used to sit by the stereo with the album cover in my hands, reading the lyrics and singing along. I learned to pick up John's harmony parts and got quite good at it. I would join choir in jr. high because I had learned to love singing thanks to the Beatles. Our choir instructor used Help to demonstrate descending scales.

I also remember picking up on chord changes off the bass line Paul played on I Wanna Hold Your Hand and telling my girlfriend how I loved it. I wanted a guitar in the worst way but never got one. :( Even though John was my favorite, I was amazed how Paul could sing melody and play bass, which I would later see in Geddy. They blow me away, I can't rub my tummy and pat my head at the same time.. :LOL:

I always thought the Stones were just knock offs of the Beatles, the Kinks were fun and I never listened to the Who until much later in my life (sacrilege I know :o) . The Beatles just were in a class by themselves, always ahead of the other groups and they changed music in those years they performed. I still listen to Sgt Pepper every summer, it brings back so many good memories. :yes:

STONES

WHO

BEATLES

KINKS

The Stones had so many great hits in the 60's that are etched in my mind. I wanted to learn guitar after hearing The Last Time, so I took lessons.

The Who recorded the greatest live album and Pete, in my book, is the greatest songwriter.

The Beatles are ubiquitous.

The Kinks, "So Tired..." is my favorite song.

Edited by custom55

I feel boring saying this, but The Beatles. That's not knocking the competition, they put up a mighty fight, regardless of my personal taste.
  • Like 3

The Beatles. It's not an easy choice. I picked them over the Stones because I think there was just more "there" to their music. When I listen to their albums there is almost not one single song (Revolution 9 doesn't count as a song IMO) that I don't love. That they progressed from I Should Have Known Better to Tomorrow Never Knows to I Am The Walrus to Revolution in such a short period of time is really stunning when you look at a band like AC/DC (who I also love). I think their legacy also benefits from the fact that they were together in the public consciousness for about 6 years. So the "clunkers" were released under McCartney's or Harrison's or Lennon's own name. The Stones didn't have any clunkers until, arguably, It's Only Rock and Roll in 1974. Their songwriting, their singing abilities, their (yes) musicianship just made them better than any other band to ever come along. Or, IMO, ever will.
  • Like 1

The Who, based on the strength and ferocity of their instrumental work.

I listened to the other 3, along with the other Brit Invasion bands when they were coming out, but I was also very into the music of an upstart record label from back home in Detroit.

The Who, Beatles, Stones, Kinks.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1