Putting This Here For Neil! The GREATEST!!!! So Promark 747 Sticks Butts Up Tips Down? THE DRUMMING HARD HITTING BEAST!!! NEIL! GENIUS!

HOLY SHIT!

This is not a RED ALERT.

This is not a REVELATION.

THIS IS NOTHING NEW!!!!

But to me as a drummer of 38 years thanks to falling in love with Neil's drumming back in 1981 it makes me feel weak, despite having the gift to play my drums to every RUSH RECORD!

Well perhaps not "Vapor Trails!!" LOL

Now I know Neil changed everything around eventually and played his Promark 747s with tips up.

But MY GOD!!

Back in the day, Neil was such a HEAVY HITTER!!!

I knew he played his Tamas with 747 Promark sticks butts up!

Hell I'm watching the "Grace Under Pressure" dvd right now as I type.

I am SOOOOOO glad I saw this tour when I was 16!!!!! The Three Parts Of Fear in a row baby!!!!!!!!! BACKWARDS!!! Just like the way Neil played his 747s!!!

No wonder Neil got more punch for his percussion fuckking lunch. The MAN IS A BEAST!!!!!

Always looking for that extra pouch, That extended slam. The MAN. The BATMAN OF THE DRUMS! BAMM!!!!

Seriously.

Yet, I the fool.

Confession: as many as my friends on here know.

If you are still "The Enemy Within"me for being me....

Well... Fukkk offf and delete me. LOL! I hope the ones who hate me delete me.

Ok! Sorry, I still have a dark side. Get rid of the haters. I love this Forum.

I love 73. KISS ASS? NOPE! TRUTH!

So, back to the ferocity of Neil playing with 747 Promark with Japanese Oak butts up.

So incredible.

So HEAVY!!! NO WONDER!!!!

I have been playing 747 Promark 747 sticks wayyyyyyyy before Neil even even endorsed them.

I was always a Neil Peart guy since the 8th grade.

I still have old 747 Promark sticks beat up and splintered from decades ago!!!

I actually have a Promark 747 R40 pair of unused Neil Peart sticks. the NP is in the stick.

I will sleep with these sticks.

Never play them.

My girls can sell them when I die in 49 years or they can put them in my coffin.

Sounds morbid, but don't be digging up my corpse bitches.

I will come back from the grave and play RUSH music on my drum kit. LOL!!!

"But change is!"

I have tried to play to older Rush records with the stick butts up and I hate it.

I went through "A Farewell To Kings" and "Hemispheres" a few weeks ago with my 747 tips up.

I sure as heck am not Neil, but his Spirit will always live deep within me.

I played hard.

I played wet.

My fingers had blisters.

I popped blood all over my sticks and my Stewart Copeland ride cymbal.

My Neil Peart China Boy is right next to that one.

NEIL PEART RULES!!!!! I LOVE YOU NEiL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't shedded any tears about Neil in months.

But I had "A Show Of Hands" Japanese pressing cd on tonight and my amazing daughter who lives with Zoe tolerated me.

Zoe does not care for RUSH, but I took my daughter to see them twice.

Skylar my youngest saw RUSH once.

"MISSION" complete.

My girls saw a Neil Peart drum solo.

RUSH RULES!!!!!!!!!

NEIL PEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

REST IN PEACE!!!!!!!!

My drumming mentor for the rest of my life and beyond..............

I am not crazy, and my friends on here know me.

I am sorry if some of you judge me.

I can't help that.

Go for it.

Many humans have seen RUSH 100s of times. You are all blessed. I have met many of you!!!

It's not about the times.

It's about the passion and the true love.

I am better than no one else on this Earth.

I am an equal to all.

BUT!!!

I am the biggest RUSH FAN ON THE EARTH!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I CAN PROVE IT!

But not on a public forum!!!! LOL!!!!

NEIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE BEST!!!!!!

"Afterimage" is playing. So sad and so fitting.

GOODNIGHT!!!!

"Afterimage" is one of the greatest songs to play to on the drums.

When I was a kid, I didn't have SIMMONS PADS. I couldn't afford them.

But back then I was able to go to my favorite music store and I bought strange small toms.

Hardware.

I put them around my basic kit so I could replicate the "GUP" album on an acoustic set up.

I was fuckking 16 years old. Playing to GUP.

I know so many of you so called RUSH FANS can't stand "Red Lenses."

Well, in my mind you are just posers. JMO!!!! No offense. Your brain isn't wired to understand intellectual drumming. Not your fault. Sorry!!

I was and still am a total drumming dork.

I learned how to pay "Red Lenses" with my acoustic set up. Some of the greatest drumming on the Earth..

That last part of the song when it fades out is ALL NEIL!!! SO INTENSE AND BEYOND!!!

I am so sorry you non musician RUSH FANS hate RED LENSES!

Please don't shoot the messenger.

We drummers are a different breed.

I thank everything to NEIL PEART.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BHAH!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAH

BLAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

THIS IS JUST PURE ENTERTAINMENT.

WOW MY CAPS BUTTON IS ON AND I REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO TYPE RIGHT NOW WITH THE CAPS ON BUT IT'S MEANT TO BE!!!!

FOR ALL OF YOU ASSHOLES WHO HATE ME FOR TYPING WITH CAPS ON.....

GET OVER IT

THE EAGLES

I WILL ALWAYS

Wait that is annoying.....

I love my Rush Family on here!!!!

You know who you are.

NEIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I'm in a serious RUSH PHASE.

Why am I apologizing?

RUSH ON FOREVER!!

EARL

• Like 2

Did you not read the interview he did circa 1993-94 where he explained why he held sticks by the tips for so long? It gave him less dead weight to sling around but all the impact he needed (I think this is somewhere between a paraphrase and a quote).

I find holding the snare stick by the tip and the ride stick by the base to be most beneficial. You get the solid smack on the snare but the ride is much more controllable and less obnoxious.

I believe a few other drummers have held the sticks by the tips besides Neil. Vinnie Paul and Joey Kramer come to mind.

• Like 1

I'm glad I'm not an amateur musician now, for one thing all this playing along to the record spoils the fun of it for me. I mean I've been there constantly putting the needle back on the record over and over to hear that bit again, it definitely ruins the whole thing for me.
  • Like 2

Earl you are the best. That was a POST! There is a very good way to tell if early Neil sticks were actually his, because of the fact he held them butt up. Larry Allen used to prepare them in a very special way. Also re Simmons. I owned his original Simmons set up for a while - just the pads.

DSCF1001.jpg"]http://DSCF1001.jpg[/url]

• Like 2

Did you not read the interview he did circa 1993-94 where he explained why he held sticks by the tips for so long? It gave him less dead weight to sling around but all the impact he needed (I think this is somewhere between a paraphrase and a quote).

I find holding the snare stick by the tip and the ride stick by the base to be most beneficial. You get the solid smack on the snare but the ride is much more controllable and less obnoxious.

I believe a few other drummers have held the sticks by the tips besides Neil. Vinnie Paul and Joey Kramer come to mind.

78!

I am not an egocentric dude when it comes to drumming.

Perhaps I don't read or study enough about the drums.

I just grip it and rip it man!

I get it dude. I love my tips up when I play. But again I was always a 747 guy even when I was just an Analog Kid.

Today being a Digital Man, I still used 747. Of course! The best stick. American Hickory sucks. It breaks too easy. Hate it.

I might try and play with the stick butt up on the snare, but yes, I love the tip on the ride, the bell. I love the treble feel of a ride with tip up.

To me it seems playing with the bottom end of a stick on a cymbal would deaden the sound and you would lose that "ping" sound.

It is what it is. We are all different.

I have a Stewart Copeland ride cymbal and I am in love with it. Next to it is my Neil Paragon China Boy! A perfect marriage together. Go figure.

I need to read that article. Been too many years dude........

I'm glad I'm not an amateur musician now, for one thing all this playing along to the record spoils the fun of it for me. I mean I've been there constantly putting the needle back on the record over and over to hear that bit again, it definitely ruins the whole thing for me.

Hahahahaha!

You are hilarious Pat! Love it!!

I must be blessed with my hearing then.

I used to play to Rush albums on cassette through my Sony Walkman.

It's soooooo much better on my ears now though Pat. I have BOSE noise cancelation headphones. I also use BEATS.

The isolation is great.

I can hear the music so much better now while the headphones protect my ears from the loud drumming.

Love it!

"What?"

Earl you are the best. That was a POST! There is a very good way to tell if early Neil sticks were actually his, because of the fact he held them butt up. Larry Allen used to prepare them in a very special way. Also re Simmons. I owned his original Simmons set up for a while - just the pads.

"]http://DSCF1001.jpg"]http://DSCF1001.jpg

Thank you my friend!!!! I love you!!! We have a great history together. One day we will meet in Toronto!!!! TRUST ME!!

Incredible pads! It's so crazy, I just got done listening to Grace Under Pressure. One of the greatest albums on the Earth.

For me it's...

"Hemispheres"

"Grace Under Pressure"

"Caress Of Steel"

So glad I am not normal. I "deviate from the norm."

lol

YOU ROCK!

RUSH FOREVER!

Hahahahaha!

It's soooooo much better on my ears now though Pat. I have BOSE noise cancelation headphones. I also use BEATS.

The isolation is great.

I can hear the music so much better now while the headphones protect my ears from the loud drumming.

Love it!

"What?"

You know I don't like headphones really, they irritate my ears and they mess up my hair! My hair also interferes with the headphones. I need speakers that blast me from a box of wood!

• Like 1

Hahahahaha!

The isolation is great.

Love it!

"What?"

You know I don't like headphones really, they irritate my ears and they mess up my hair! My hair also interferes with the headphones. I need speakers that blast me from a box of wood!

Hahahahaha!!!!

I know brother! You are lucky! You have amazing long hair.

I still have my curly lame afro hair like Greg Brady, but man I keep it trim and short. I have Neil's hair. 1988 in 2020. I just need a haircut and I can't get one. I trim my own hair.

It's all how you are brought up Pat.

I will probably need modern hearing aids one day. But hey, it's the price you pay.

I've been very lucky. Wax build up naturally.

But dude, as a drummer who has been playing along to RUSH albums since 1981 it's so much easier now and it actually makes me a stronger Neil Clone. LOL!!!!!

Hahahahaha!

The isolation is great.

Love it!

"What?"

Hahahahaha!!!!

I still have my curly lame afro hair like Greg Brady, but man I keep it trim and short. I have Neil's hair. 1988 in 2020. I just need a haircut and I can't get one. I trim my own hair.

I will probably need modern hearing aids one day. But hey, it's the price you pay.

But dude, as a drummer who has been playing along to RUSH albums since 1981 it's so much easier now and it actually makes me a stronger Neil Clone. LOL!!!!!

You need to grow it Earl since you can't get a haircut see what it looks like. What did it look like before when it was long or longish?

• Like 1

When I started, of course, I played Promark 747 in Japanese Oak. After the years though, I found I preferred a heavier size (5B) - but it HAS to be the Shira Kashi oak. The density of the wood and the smooth lacquer finish are the bomb. On very rare occasion, I've had to use the Promark hickory sticks and they tear the shit out of my hands. There is a texture on those and my grip technique relies on some relative motion (keeping the stick light in my hand) which, with hickory, results in massive trauma to my hands (not easy to do considering 30 years of drumming callous build up!). This is usually not an issue though as I buy 12 pairs of Promark Oak sticks at a time!

My favorite pair of sticks, however, are these:

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad352/cygnify/Autographs/228379_10150198207569857_6348901_n_zps006baaf0.jpg

I walked out of the St Pete Times forum Cp show on Mar 4 1994 gripping these like they were the holy grail - handed to me by Larry Allen! He didn't want to give them to me initially, but I pointed out that I actually knew his name (Larry Allen) and he walked up to Neil's kit and picked these off the floor tom - Neil had just used them to finish YYZ in the encore. One of them is cracked; he was clearly gripping the tip end and still playing with the butt end in those days.

• Like 3

and sorry for using a link from that bullshit Photobucket... I haven't used that in years, indeed sucks what they've become...

Could be worse Pat.

Glad I can't listen to Bun E Carlos.

Jesus.....

YYZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

LOL

What about when you want to listen to Cheap Trick?

Pat, as I respect Cheap Trick and I do enjoy their first three studio albums and of course "Live At Budokan" is a great live record, I'm not a big fan dude.

Hahahahaha!

The isolation is great.

Love it!

"What?"

Hahahahaha!!!!

You need to grow it Earl since you can't get a haircut see what it looks like. What did it look like before when it was long or longish?

Pat!!!! My hair is curly and grows up and out, not down. LOL! I would look like Greg, Peter and Bobby Brady all in one!!!

Earl,

Dave Meniketti vs Keith Richards? I'm taking Richards just to bait you!

Hahaha! You are baiting me. Keith is a LEGEND and will outlive the common cockroach.

But with that being said, DAVE MENIKETTI ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!

When I started, of course, I played Promark 747 in Japanese Oak. After the years though, I found I preferred a heavier size (5B) - but it HAS to be the Shira Kashi oak. The density of the wood and the smooth lacquer finish are the bomb. On very rare occasion, I've had to use the Promark hickory sticks and they tear the shit out of my hands. There is a texture on those and my grip technique relies on some relative motion (keeping the stick light in my hand) which, with hickory, results in massive trauma to my hands (not easy to do considering 30 years of drumming callous build up!). This is usually not an issue though as I buy 12 pairs of Promark Oak sticks at a time!

My favorite pair of sticks, however, are these:

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad352/cygnify/Autographs/228379_10150198207569857_6348901_n_zps006baaf0.jpg

I walked out of the St Pete Times forum Cp show on Mar 4 1994 gripping these like they were the holy grail - handed to me by Larry Allen! He didn't want to give them to me initially, but I pointed out that I actually knew his name (Larry Allen) and he walked up to Neil's kit and picked these off the floor tom - Neil had just used them to finish YYZ in the encore. One of them is cracked; he was clearly gripping the tip end and still playing with the butt end in those days.

INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!