1. 1. single release

• Revolution - The Beatles
    • Honky Tonk Woman - The Rolling Stones
  2. 2. acoustic album version

• Revolution 1 - The Beatles
    • Country Honk - The Rolling Stones
  3. 3. other version... even if in name only

• Revolution 9 - The Beatles
    • your choice of a live rendition of Honky Tonk Woman, please specify!

Two bluesy songs which had electric releases as singles prior to their acoustic counterparts showing up on albums. Also would you take Revolution 9 or a live cut of Honky Tonk Woman?

I'll go for the live cut personally, I heard one watching a 00's or 10's Stones concert on TV some years ago that was very good!

The heaviest metalish one?

Notice how the riff in the chorus of the single version of Revolution is very like Thin Lizzy's main Chinatown riff.

So Revolution 9? ;)

Revolution.

Never cared for Honky Tonk Woman. Easily the most overplayed live song in the Stones catalog. So many better hits to choose from but they play HTW to death for some reason.

Off topic a second, after Mick Taylor left the Stones and they went on to start recording their Black and Blue album, they were auditioning guitarists throughout the recording process. Two guitarists who auditioned were Steve Marriott and Peter Frampton. Two other guitarists who sat in and jammed during this period were Jeff Beck and Rory Gallagher. They went in there "just to see what was going on" neither was interesting in joining the band. Jeff Beck said this: "In two hours I got to play three chords, I need a little more energy than that."
  • Like 2

Single - Honky

Album - Rev

Live - Honky

Rev 9 is not the worst Beatles song since it’s technically not a song similar to Fitter Happier on OK Computer. THAT dishonor goes to Wild Honey Pie.

You don't tap your toe to Rev 9? :popcorn:

Love the distortion on "Revolution".

Ugh...it's loose, flabby and just sounds badly recorded....I know that was probably the best sound they could get at that time but it just sounds like Vapor Trails to me.

Ugh...it's loose, flabby and just sounds badly recorded....I know that was probably the best sound they could get at that time but it just sounds like Vapor Trails to me.

OK.

• Like 2

OK.

Seriously though this is one thing that pisses me off about the Beatles...they seem to get a free pass on things they do that are less than stellar simply because it's them.

Don't get me wrong, their best stuff is utter genius, but there's a fair amount of dogshit cluttering up the albums, same as any band.

They are not above criticism.

• Like 1

It's a fuzz pedal, and it's set to the raspiest harshest setting (as I'm sure you know). There are better-sounding settings for a fuzz (Hendrix got lots of good tones out of his) but they went with that gritty and brittle sound, and I assume they did it on purpose given the lyrics. Like a revolution, they wanted to be in your face with it. It's not a pleasant guitar tone for sure but I understand why they went with it.

• Like 1

It's a fuzz pedal, and it's set to the raspiest harshest setting (as I'm sure you know). There are better-sounding settings for a fuzz (Hendrix got lots of good tones out of his) but they went with that gritty and brittle sound, and I assume they did it on purpose given the lyrics. Like a revolution, they wanted to be in your face with it. It's not a pleasant guitar tone for sure but I understand why they went with it.

I simply like the way it sounds. I couldn't care less about the technical side. It's almost punk.

• Like 1

OK.

Seriously though this is one thing that pisses me off about the Beatles...they seem to get a free pass on things they do that are less than stellar simply because it's them.

Don't get me wrong, their best stuff is utter genius, but there's a fair amount of dogshit cluttering up the albums, same as any band.

They are not above criticism.

Of course they are not above criticism. I don't care about the technical side of the music. I just like the way the guitar sounds.

• Like 1

I simply like the way it sounds. I couldn't care less about the technical side. It's almost punk.

Right, and that's the idea. The other versions on the song don't sound as good to me, I love the gritty punk version with John screaming at the end..

• Like 1

Right, and that's the idea. The other versions on the song don't sound as good to me, I love the gritty punk version with John screaming at the end..

The question is though, would you have liked it as much if you hadn't known it was by The Beatles?

So you must love the way Vapor Trails sounds then?

A better choice would've been to put 'Revolution' and 'Street Fighting Man' together.

Both songs pioneered a distinct distorted guitar sounded that neither band explored before.

Also each song has this 'taking it to the streets with a rallying cry' mentality as well.

Edited by RushFanForever

The question is though, would you have liked it as much if you hadn't known it was by The Beatles?

I like the song (the heavy version) in that the bluesy-punk sound captures the mood of the lyrics. It's not my favorite Beatles song, but it's solid and accomplishes what it set out to do. In some ways it doesn't sound like a typical Beatles song, so I guess I would like it just as much if it were by some other '60s band.

• Like 1

Revolution is what I think of as almost the first metal song. Still, I'm going with Honky Tonk Women here.

However, Revolution 1 is a superior acoustic version to Country Honk.

My favorite live version of HTW is from the Tokyo Dome album, because it's from the Steel Wheels tour. I still remember how the crowd went wild in Foxboro when the blow up dolls emerged on top of the PA on either side of the stage as those opening chords played.

• Like 1