1. 1. single release

• Revolution - The Beatles
    • Honky Tonk Woman - The Rolling Stones
  2. 2. acoustic album version

• Revolution 1 - The Beatles
    • Country Honk - The Rolling Stones
  3. 3. other version... even if in name only

• Revolution 9 - The Beatles
    • your choice of a live rendition of Honky Tonk Woman, please specify!

I prefer Country Honk to Revolution 1 because Rev 1 is way too slow and hippyish for me. Country Honk has that sweet fiddle playing and they keep the tempo where it belongs.

But I’ll take Revolution over Honky Tonk Woman for the distortion alone, so gritty! It sounds like their amps are busted!

And Rev 9, while I don’t skip it and it has my respect, just isn’t going to win against The Stones playing a classic live.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

Single - Honky

Album - Rev

Live - Honky

Rev 9 is not the worst Beatles song since it’s technically not a song similar to Fitter Happier on OK Computer. THAT dishonor goes to Wild Honey Pie.

You don't tap your toe to Rev 9? :popcorn:

John Cage 4:33 is more toe tapping.

• Like 1

I prefer Country Honk to Revolution 1 because Rev 1 is way too slow and hippyish for me. Country Honk has that sweet fiddle playing and they keep the tempo where it belongs.

But I’ll take Revolution over Honky Tonk Woman for the distortion alone, so gritty! It sounds like their amps are busted!

And Rev 9, while I don’t skip it and it has my respect, just isn’t going to win against The Stones playing a classic live.

Beatles were a better studio band but a Stones were better live.

• Like 1

Love the distortion on "Revolution".

Ugh...it's loose, flabby and just sounds badly recorded....I know that was probably the best sound they could get at that time but it just sounds like Vapor Trails to me.

It's a fuzz pedal, and it's set to the raspiest harshest setting (as I'm sure you know). There are better-sounding settings for a fuzz (Hendrix got lots of good tones out of his) but they went with that gritty and brittle sound, and I assume they did it on purpose given the lyrics. Like a revolution, they wanted to be in your face with it. It's not a pleasant guitar tone for sure but I understand why they went with it.

sounds like they went really old school distortion and slashed the amp speakers with razor blades.

• Like 1

Ugh...it's loose, flabby and just sounds badly recorded....I know that was probably the best sound they could get at that time but it just sounds like Vapor Trails to me.

It's a fuzz pedal, and it's set to the raspiest harshest setting (as I'm sure you know). There are better-sounding settings for a fuzz (Hendrix got lots of good tones out of his) but they went with that gritty and brittle sound, and I assume they did it on purpose given the lyrics. Like a revolution, they wanted to be in your face with it. It's not a pleasant guitar tone for sure but I understand why they went with it.

sounds like they went really old school distortion and slashed the amp speakers with razor blades.

My dad always told me they drilled holes in the amp.

• Like 1

Not sure how that would work...it's the speaker that actually produced the sound.

Not sure how that would work...it's the speaker that actually produced the sound.

It's possible they cut the speaker instead of using a fuzz pedal. The Kinks did that on You Really Got Me.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/kinks-you-really-got-me-guitar/

• Like 2

I simply like the way it sounds. I couldn't care less about the technical side. It's almost punk.

So you must love the way Vapor Trails sounds then?

No, not at all. And for almost two decades I never made or heard any connection/similarity between Revolution and Vapor Trails.

• Like 1

It's possible they cut the speaker instead of using a fuzz pedal. The Kinks did that on You Really Got Me.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/kinks-you-really-got-me-guitar/

The Beatles played fuzz toned guitars using direct injection overloading the recording console.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

I simply like the way it sounds. I couldn't care less about the technical side. It's almost punk.

No, not at all. And for almost two decades I never made or heard any connection/similarity between Revolution and Vapor Trails.

Yeah very different sound qualities between them. There's a lot more to sound than loudness and distortion, and a lot more to loudness and distortion than whether or not you have any.

https://ultimateclas...-got-me-guitar/

The Beatles played fuzz toned guitars using direct injection overloading the recording console.

There's a youtube for everything.

A couple of problems with this. First is that he's playing at a really low volume and not pushing the amp. The second problem is that after he disproved the slashing speaker theory, he now has to get a new speaker. :laughing guy:

Sort of like running into a brick wall to see if your airbags work.

Keith Richards made his acoustic guitar sound electric on 'Street Fighting Man' in the following manner.

From the Wall Street Journal.

"Around this time, I became fascinated by one of the early cassette tape recorders made by Philips. The machine was compact, so it was portable, and it had this little stick microphone, which would allow me to capture song ideas on the fly. So I bought one, but as I watched the small tape-cartridge reels turn, I began to think of the machine not as a dictation device but as a mini recording studio. The problem is I couldn't use an electric guitar to record on it. The sound just overwhelmed the mike and speaker. I tried an acoustic guitar instead and got this dry, crisp guitar sound on the tape—the exact sound I had been looking for on the song."

"That grinding, dirty sound came out of these crummy little motels where the only thing you had to record with was this new invention called the cassette recorder. And it didn't disturb anybody. Suddenly you had a very mini studio. Playing an acoustic, you'd overload the Philips cassette player to the point of distortion so that when it played back it was effectively an electric guitar. You were using the cassette player as a pickup and an amplifier at the same time. You were forcing acoustic guitars through a cassette player, and what came out the other end was electric as hell.

In the studio I plugged the cassette into a little extension speaker and put a microphone in front of the extension speaker so it had a bit more breadth and depth, and put that on tape. That was the basic track. There are no electric instruments on "Street Fighting Man" at all, apart from the bass, which I overdubbed later. All acoustic guitars. I wish I could still do that, but they don't build machines like that anymore. They put a limiter on it soon after that so you couldn't overload it. Just as you're getting off on something, they put a lock on it. The band all thought I was mad, and they sort of indulged me.

"Street Fighting Man," "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Gimme Shelter" were all made just like that, on a cassette machine. I used to layer guitar on guitar. Sometimes there are eight guitars on those tracks. You just mash 'em up.

This is why 'Revolution' and 'Street Fighting Man' would've been a better match for this thread poll.

Keith Richards made his acoustic guitar sound electric on 'Street Fighting Man' in the following manner.

From the Wall Street Journal.

"Around this time, I became fascinated by one of the early cassette tape recorders made by Philips. The machine was compact, so it was portable, and it had this little stick microphone, which would allow me to capture song ideas on the fly. So I bought one, but as I watched the small tape-cartridge reels turn, I began to think of the machine not as a dictation device but as a mini recording studio. The problem is I couldn't use an electric guitar to record on it. The sound just overwhelmed the mike and speaker. I tried an acoustic guitar instead and got this dry, crisp guitar sound on the tape—the exact sound I had been looking for on the song."

"That grinding, dirty sound came out of these crummy little motels where the only thing you had to record with was this new invention called the cassette recorder. And it didn't disturb anybody. Suddenly you had a very mini studio. Playing an acoustic, you'd overload the Philips cassette player to the point of distortion so that when it played back it was effectively an electric guitar. You were using the cassette player as a pickup and an amplifier at the same time. You were forcing acoustic guitars through a cassette player, and what came out the other end was electric as hell.

In the studio I plugged the cassette into a little extension speaker and put a microphone in front of the extension speaker so it had a bit more breadth and depth, and put that on tape. That was the basic track. There are no electric instruments on "Street Fighting Man" at all, apart from the bass, which I overdubbed later. All acoustic guitars. I wish I could still do that, but they don't build machines like that anymore. They put a limiter on it soon after that so you couldn't overload it. Just as you're getting off on something, they put a lock on it. The band all thought I was mad, and they sort of indulged me.

"Street Fighting Man," "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Gimme Shelter" were all made just like that, on a cassette machine. I used to layer guitar on guitar. Sometimes there are eight guitars on those tracks. You just mash 'em up.

This is why 'Revolution' and 'Street Fighting Man' would've been a better match for this thread poll.

Cool story! And hey, no one's stopping you from making a poll. I wanted to make this one.

They both sound horrible...that's the similarity...the difference is that VT was a f**k-up....They actually WANTED that sound on Revolution.

They both sound horrible...that's the similarity...the difference is that VT was a f**k-up....They actually WANTED that sound on Revolution.

Well in that case we may as well toss the Black Eyed Peas in there cuz they sound like hot garbage. Never mind that they sound nothing like either Revolution or Vapor Trails, which sound nothing like each other.

Well in that case we may as well toss the Black Eyed Peas in there cuz they sound like hot garbage. Never mind that they sound nothing like either Revolution or Vapor Trails, which sound nothing like each other.

Wrong comparison....artistically they are a steaming dogs egg but their stuff is actually well produced.

Wrong comparison....artistically they are a steaming dogs egg but their stuff is actually well produced.

I disagree with the second half of that. Artistcally yes, they're garbage (at least what I've heard of them), but production wise they sound like a glitchy, clashing, fried computer mess to my ears.

I disagree with the second half of that. Artistcally yes, they're garbage (at least what I've heard of them), but production wise they sound like a glitchy, clashing, fried computer mess to my ears.

Careful.....your own production skills are not really equipping you to judge lol

Careful.....your own production skills are not really equipping you to judge lol

That's a tired argument. I don't need to be a great TV producer to judge half of what Disney Channel produces is garbage. Why would I need to be any kind of producer to judge when music sounds bad?

And my own production skills consist almost entirely of me screwing around on garageband at 2 am because I'm bored and don't want to go to sleep. I really don't see how that's comparable to a professional music producer's work on commercial recordings in a professional studio, which brings me back to my original point that The Black Eyed Peas are not comparable in sound to Revolution or Vapor Trails, which aren't comparable to each other. Just because it's loud and distorted doesn't mean it's the same as everything else that's loud and distorted. But what would I know? I just record scratch ideas through my laptop microphone to entertain myself. Like I said, not being able to judge something because you aren't skilled in it yourself is a tired argument, and if it were true then more than half the members of this forum wouldn't be here discussing music.

That's a tired argument. I don't need to be a great TV producer to judge half of what Disney Channel produces is garbage. Why would I need to be any kind of producer to judge when music sounds bad?

And my own production skills consist almost entirely of me screwing around on garageband at 2 am because I'm bored and don't want to go to sleep. I really don't see how that's comparable to a professional music producer's work on commercial recordings in a professional studio, which brings me back to my original point that The Black Eyed Peas are not comparable in sound to Revolution or Vapor Trails, which aren't comparable to each other. Just because it's loud and distorted doesn't mean it's the same as everything else that's loud and distorted. But what would I know? I just record scratch ideas through my laptop microphone to entertain myself. Like I said, not being able to judge something because you aren't skilled in it yourself is a tired argument, and if it were true then more than half the members of this forum wouldn't be here discussing music.

ffs chill out grasshopper, you're too young too be taking this all so seriously.