Words Neil Taught Me

Hi All: As some of you know, I work as an attorney, so my whole working day is spent thinking about words. I often tell people that words are the only tools that lawyers have in their toolbox. The literal meaning of words, along with the images they connote, are powerful and heavily premeditated elements of any legal document. Persuasive legal writing depends upon a robust - but exactingly accurate - vocabulary.

And so it is that the other day, while listening to YYNOT's live cover of No One At The Bridge (it's awesome, check it out on YouTube), I focused on the word "supplication," which is defined as asking or begging for something earnestly. And I realized, while thinking of that word, that I have known its meaning for many decades because of Neil's decision to use it in The Fountain of Lamneth.

Neil contributed to my view of life by presenting me with a very different perspective than the one I had those many decades ago. But he also contributed to my life by using words that I didn't know, and that were unlikely to have ever appeared before, or since, in a rock song.

What about all of you? Are there any words that Neil taught you?

• Like 2

I remember wondering what the hell a broon was.

Absalom was a word I looked up and promptly forgot. Here's a refresher:

In the October 1991 Rush Backstage Club newsletter, Neil Peart explained that the 'Absalom' reference comes from William Faulkners' 1936 book Absalom, Absalom! 1936. "Absalom" was the son of King David. He killed his half-brother for raping their half-sister. Then, he tried to overthrow David and get the throne. A battle resulted during which his hair was caught in a tree suspending him above the ground. Against David's wishes, Absalom was killed by King David's Mighty Men. David grieved for his son by lamenting, "Absalom, Absalom, my son."

Said Peart, "After reading the novel, I was curious... and looked up the name in the encyclopedia. Then, while writing that song, I had 'obsolete, absolute' in there, and I thought how similar the word-shape was to 'Absalom.' Since one of the main themes of the song was compassion, it occurred to me that the Biblical story was applicable-David's lament for his son: 'Would God I had died for thee,' seemed to be the ultimate expression of compassion. And that's how it happened."

//

Peart: "Before I ever knew who or what Absalom was, I always loved the sound of it. I had thought perhaps it was an ancient prayer or something. There is a book by William Faulkner called Absalom, Absalom, which, again, I loved the sound of. I wanted to put it in the song, as a play on words with 'absolute' and 'obsolete,' but I thought I'd better find out for sure what it meant. So I called my wife and asked her to look it up in the encyclopedia. When I learned the real story, and its Biblical roots, I decided that it was still appropriate, as it was the ultimate expression of compassion, which is what the song was really about. 'Absalom, Absalom. My son, my son. Would God I had died for thee.' (Now don't anyone go reading any religion into that!)"

Source

• Like 1

Probably hundreds. All having to do with the flora and fauna of the American Southwest. I'm sure they'll come in handy one of these days...
  • Like 1

Minimal expressionist post-modern neo-symbolist

:o :o :o

• Like 2

I love Peart's vocabulary. He's not the only one , hough.

Bono used the word "intransigence" in a U2 song from 1997.

Recently, the 1975 use the words "sycpphantic" and "Epicurean philosophy".

"Tobes" for sure, lol!!!!!!

Honestly if Neil Peart's career as a musician had never happened for whatever reason, I bet he would have been able to make a career of authoring textbooks or working as an engineer. He had a brilliant mind.

He used phrases very creatively, I never thought about the term "fawn eyed girl" from "The Analog Kid" because it didn't apply to my life really. Later I appreciated how perfectly placed the idea was in the song.

//Just sharing.

• Like 3

I am totally blessed.

Neil never taught me words.

He taught me the drums back in 1981.

I can still play every RUSH album today at 52 years young.

Never perfect, but damn close.

My mentor.

My PROFESSOR!!!

ALWAYS AND FOEVER!

NEIL!!!!!!!!!!